BWF tournament major events timing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Aug 29, 2022.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Aussie Open is grade 500, NZ Open is grade 300, WC is grade 1000.
    Depends on how much ranking point u can get. Eg, 1st round in WC vs winner in NZ Open.
    I doubt the players will give up playing in WC, unless you are from NZ and want to win the title at home (reminds me of TTY :p).

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree

It’s highly strategic on where to pick up points.

In 2Q this year, HK players were pretty active in Europe picking up ranking points to qualify for the bigger tournaments. They basically started from zero due to covid and not going out for tournaments. I saw one WD HK actually qualified for the Japan Open but unfortunately got drawn against JYF/CQC in the first round.

If possible, I would be looking closely at the points gained from Aus and NZ say a Quarter final and semifinal respectively and can that get you more points than a first round win in the WC.

If you’re a second to third level competitor coming up against a top eight seed in the 1st round WC, chances are going to be low of getting significant points. NZ could see quite a good number of players next year. It will be fascinating to see which top players might enter NZ and are prepared for the near two day journey to Denmark.