bwf super series tournament structure

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by badmintonstats, Jan 23, 2019.

1. badmintonstats

badmintonstats New Member

Hi, I'm doing a thesis on badminton statistics with regards to the bwf tournament from 2007-2017 and would greatly need some help as the information I have sourced from the internet is not sufficient.

From my understanding, each tournament has 32 players with 4 players from the qualifiers. I'm trying to simulate the badminton tournament and would need an accurate gauge of the players ranking

I know that there are 8 seeded players but what I want to ask is what are the rankings of the 28 players (4 players from qualifiers excluded). Are these players among around the top 30 in the world? or is it based on submission of entries from the players and then the top 28 from all the entries are selected.

I ask because in order to simulate, I need to know the ranking structure of players in the main draw. Thank you and would appreciate any help

2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    not always.
    yes.

since rankings change weekly it will be difficult to know who was ranked, and what # they were ranked, on any given week dating back to 2007. the only likely source for a ranking archive dating back to 2007 is bwf.

badmintonstats likes this.
  3. badmintonstats

Hi samkool thanks for the reply. Would also like to ask how are the 16 players in the qualifier stage selected? And what does the term "Promoted From Qualifying" means? Thank you

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    also by ranking.
    it is a term used in the main draw: when a player from the main draw withdraws before the tournament starts the highest ranked player in the qualifying bracket is "Promoted From Qualifying"... when that happens it will say [PMD] in the qualifying bracket, meaning "Promoted to Main Draw."

5. badmintonstats

by ranking do you mean that these 16 players are the 16 highest ranked players just after the highest 28 ranked players that are in the main draw?

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes.

7. Master

Master Regular Member

I will add another general point of view as below:

There is submission system with entry deadline for each tournament.

e.g. I will give one example of 2019 All England Open for just easy to pickup by now

Entry Deadline: 22/01/2019
    World Ranking Date: 22/01/2019
    M & Q Report: 25/01/2019
    Seeding Date: 05/02/2019
    Seeding Published: 08/02/2019
    Withdrawal Deadline: 11/02/2019
    Draw Date: 12/02/2019

You welcome to check it online via this link: https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/events/calendar/2019/all/0/-1/
    Unfortunately, the old tournaments before 2018 aren't available anymore at the BWF websites (but they had stored in their server if you know the exact link from the previous time. I had some of 2017 tournament links if you need it to check.).
    There is regulation how it works related to the BWF tournament. It's available at BWF Statues http://bwfcorporate.com/statutes/
    Maybe you could grab some important topics related to your need.

Since your thesis is about the past tournament (SuperSeries). I may still have the link for the previous BWF regulation.
    e.g The Super Series regulation ---> https://system.bwfbadminton.com/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Superseries/Part III Section 10 - Regulations for Superseries - November 2017.pdf

On every submission received, BWF made a table consist of all registrants after the deadline time over. It's named M & Q Report, that enlist all names of players/pairs by ranking/notional points. (What's notional points? ---> you could get the complete info from the BWF Statues link above. Located in Section 5.3.3.4 Explanation of Adjusted and Notional Ranking). This notional points works only in double pairs, especially for new pairing/scratch pair.

So, based on that table (M & Q Report), the players will be determined into Main Draw or should play through Qualification rounds. Whenever some players/pairs cancel anytime after their submission received by BWF, they made a revision report (usually named version 2, 3, so on....). Until the Draw is made finally.

Just before the tournament begin, there is a Team Managers meeting (technical meeting) which all team managers must attend. They gathered the last updated issue regarding the tournament, including if there are some late withdraw for any reason. Then, the draw itself is being updated again post technical meeting.

BWF refer to the last updated M & Q Report to determined whose replaced non-available players/pairs. And the next players/pair that ready will replace the withdrew players/pairs. If there is no other names on the reserved list, then it will be a bye (no opponent for the first round).

I will give you 1 example from 2017 All England Open:
    M&Q Report v4 (Updated Monday, 13th February 2017)
    Seeding Report v2 (Updated Monday, 13th February 2017)
    DRAW (Updated Tuesday, 14th February 2017)
    Tournament Software link (so you can check the draw of each category in this website if there are some promoted players/pairs or not)

For easy understanding, you could take this point: "Once the players in the main draw become unavailable for any reason, they withdrew. Then automatically the chance for any players/pairs from the qualification rounds to get promoted into main draw."
    The term PFQ or PMD are having the same meaning actually. (from Qualifying into Main Draw).

Next point: "Because somebody replace the late withdrawn players in Main Draw, the position at qualifications rounds need to be replaced by somebody else by now." They're PFR status (Promoted from Reserves).

badmintonstats likes this.
  8. badmintonstats

Hi, thanks a lot. Very useful information. An important qns I have is how is the draw determined? The regulations only say that the draw is determined by BWF software. I know that 1st goes to top half 2nd goes to bottom half 3/4th are separated and 5,6,7,8 goes randomly into top and bottom halves. However, how are the matches determined? Is it random or is there a structure in terms of ranking of who faces who

From what I see, it seems random but I have to clarify as it is an important part of my simulation. Thanks again

9. Master

Master Regular Member

Correct! It's random.

You may need to check Technical Diagrams which available at BWF Statues Section 5.3.8 Technical Diagrams and Tables - Seeding and Byes.

10. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

For years earlier than 2017, change the date in the
    https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/events/calendar/2007/all/0/-1/

that main page will have either downloads available, or 0 downloads. If former, rejoice, if latter, dont despair, look for: