BG65 or BG66

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SmashingTime, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    what is pre-stretched means?is it by the stringer?need ask him to do it?

2. Amin Khalili

Student
    So ... the higher the tension for BG65 the better and longer it is??About how many LBS?

3. Amin Khalili

Student
    And ... if I use too high tension .. What is the effect to my racket?

4. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    It is definitely better but surely wont last longer. The higher the tension, the lesser life it has & it is true for any badminton string.

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well I finally broke my strings a few days ago (it was about time, the strings were really frayed), so that means the BG-65 @ 26lbs (main) and 28lbs (cross) lasted ~ 6-7 weeks for me, which is really good since BG-85 @ 24lbs only lasts ~3-4 weeks and BG-66 @ 24lbs, even less. The thinner strings definitely feel more repulsive, but every time I hit it hard I think the string is going to break. And when they break, they break instantly, whereas with the BG-65 you can see it fray and it will still last a little longer until it actually breaks.

Any quality racket should be able to withstand 28lbs without too much risk, so long as you do not clash rackets with another player, or mishit the shuttle too much. Even though Yonex rates their rackets as going up to 24lbs (that's the highest I've seen anyway), that's more for warranty purposes. Even with pros that string to 30lbs, I've never actually seen them collapse a racket, rather it just looks like the string breaks so they switch to another racket.

6. Amin Khalili

Student
    Well ... Ill buy AT700 with bg-65 @ tension maybe like yours (26lbsx28lbs*main x cross* .. correct me if im wrong) You think that is safe since Im still new on it?If not can tell which to start first? ....

Ouh .. How if I use that racket @ tension on my training .. gave any effect
    Ouh .. can give me your ym/msn/EMAIL!

ANYWAY THX ALOT!

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The biggest draw back is, the higher the tension, the more stress on the racket frame is. Any clash / mis-hit can cause much more damage to a high tensioned racket than a lower one.

So, we are talking about risking racket life to save string life time right now... :cool:

8. Amin Khalili

Student
    OUH ... few question(s) Ussually since how many tension did it start risky % ?

9. thejym

thejym Regular Member

That may be true, but it depends on your situation. I play both singles and doubles, but in doubles my various doubles partners are all good enough such that we won't clash (or we will both hesitate and lose the point but it's better than a broken racket). We won't make a big hit unless it's clear who's shot it is, and in that scenario one of us is in the front and the other is in the back. When we are side by side, we are mostly doing drives or smash defense - even if we clashed, it would be very light. When I play doubles with lower level players, they recognize that I am better and tend to give me the shot if it is near both of us. And depending on the player, I might switch to a lesser racket just in case :p

For me, it is quite a pain to get my racket strung... I'm no longer at home so I don't have access to a stringing machine. That means every time I break my strings, I will be without that racket for about a week. In the future, when my economic conditions and skills improve, I will most likely transition to a thinner string at a similar tension. I think it will be an easy transition since the tension levels will be very similar, the only difference being the repulsion and the durability.

#49 thejym, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  10. Amin Khalili

Student
    ooo .. anyone know what is the tension that start the risk % ?

11. thejym

thejym Regular Member

All I can say is, if you're playing with people who you are afraid will hit (and break) your racket... you probably shouldn't be playing with them anyway :p Let's say you have two rackets strung at 28lbs and 24lbs respectively, and you clash with someone. If he manages to chip your 24lb racket, the same clash might break that 28lb racket. But I'd be pretty mad if someone even chipped my racket since that will greatly reduce its structural integrity. Either way you shouldn't be playing with them with your expensive racket.

Another possibility is to string one of your other rackets (one that isn't super expensive) to a higher tension, just to see if you like that tension. Chances are, you might just end up liking that racket more than your "better racket" just because of the string. That's how I began increasing my tension anyway... by first upping the tension on cheaper rackets (when I say cheap I don't mean $30 rackets... they're still $80-90 rackets and made of good material)

12. Amin Khalili

Student
    OIC thx!Anyway start what lbs will it risky?And whats the tension recoomended for new racket(BG-65)?Then increase to what?what?and what?until what?

13. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well personally I believe around 25-26lbs is a good balance between risk, durability, and feel, for BG-65. I'm having my "test racket" strung to 27lbs BG-65 right now, so in a few days when I get it and try it out I'll let you know how that feels.

What racket and string combo are you playing with right now? What tension are you using? It makes sense to start off with where you are, and then slowly increase the tension by 1 or 2lb increments until you reach a point where the costs might outweigh the benefits (for instance, ~ 28lbs you will be breaking your strings more frequently and running a higher risk of breaking the racket, but if money isn't an issue then this would be feasible). I know nothing about how you play, how strong you are, etc, but just based off of the questions it seems like you are an intermediate player (not beginner because then you wouldn't care so much about the details). I would just recommend you stay under 28lbs... how far below that is entirely up to the risk vs. benefit that you want.

A year ago, I was playing at 23lbs, and I thought it was tight enough for me, but as I got stronger and my technique improved, I started to enjoy the improved control and feel I got out of higher tensions. This week, with both of my good rackets being restrung, I am using an old backup racket with strings that are over a year and a half old, and have probably lost a decent amount of tension since then. It's probably no more than 21lbs right now. Besides the fact that the racket is entirely different from my other two in terms of weight and balance, the string is also different. Yet I can still play at similar levels because all those factors don't make a huge difference. Obviously my standards have risen in the past year, and with it my perception of what is "low" and "high" tension (low tension for me now is anything less than 24lbs, with high tension being around 29-30lbs). Playing with my old racket makes me appreciate the feel of higher tensions, so even though I am breaking strings every month or so, it is worth it for me.

Hope this helps!

14. Amin Khalili

Student
    Thx ... really helping ..
    I dont know what my previous racket string@tension ... So refer to your msg ... I must start BG65 from tension 24lbs-26lbs / 25lbs-26lbs ... ?(plz tell me which one) .. Then stop when 28lbs?

15. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Hmm ok how about you first try it at 24lbs, and see how you like it. The tension will probably drop off a little bit after a week or two of playing, but that happens with all strings (just by different amounts). If you can get your string to last a few months and you are not concerned about making it last any longer than that, you could up the tension. I think when I was using BG-65 at 23-24lbs, it lasted about 2-3 months, whereas BG-65 at 26lbs was 6-7 weeks tops.

At a certain point, say ~28lbs, you will be breaking your strings so frequently that you most likely would prefer to cut back on the performance just a tiny bit if it means doubling your durability.

16. Amin Khalili

Student
    is it ok i start on 24-26?

17. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Sure, go for it. Again you're not going to find the optimal string and string tension combination on your first try. Everyone plays differently and has different preferences.

18. Amin Khalili

Student
    Ok ... same check ...
    Start on 24lbs-26lbs ... add up 2lbs(min and max) 2 and 2 until 28lbs then stop ... Then choose which one Im like ... So like that?]

Anyway .. thx alot .. you really helping me .. plz msg me your ym/msn/EMAIL!

19. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I no longer use MSN or AIM or any instant messenger... But anyway, I would suggest you start with 24lb, when it breaks, and if you liked it, go up to 26lbs, and see how that it is. If you can still afford it, then keep going up to 28lbs, but if you transition to 26lbs and you don't like it as much..by all means stop and go back down to 24lbs. You'll notice that different strings perform differently at different tensions (of course) and some would seem to have an optimal tension range. Just find the combination that works for you and focus on improving your skills and technique. Equipment should be secondary to skills and technique.

20. Amin Khalili

Student
    Thx ... ok so like this~
    1)22-24
    2)24-26
    3)26-28
    Follow what you said on other thing ...