BG 80 differences vs. BG 65

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Mr Arc2, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Hello guys,
    i just got back to badminton after a long time off. I dont have much experience with strings and tensions because I always played in a pretty casual atmosphere. So i figured my best bet would be starting to test different strings and tensions.
    Yesterday i strung my Racket with bg 80 @10x11kg (22x24,5 lbs) and a 1 kg (2lbs) prestretch. This was my first stringing job. Of course there were there were few little problems, but over all i think i did fine.
    Today I had a chance to test the string . I liked the feel of it and I could feel the power. After about 70 minutes of intensive playing the string broke. So some questions arose:
    1. Is it normal that the string broke so soon, or should i be worried about my stringing/hitting skills?
    2. I want to test BG 65 next. the string has less repulsion, so what does that mean tension wise? how many kg should i go down?
    3. I read BG 65 loses a lot of tension. How can I circumvent this? Any prestretch recommendations? Should I string with a higher tension in the first place?
    Thanks in advance.

2. paul charbonneau

paul charbonneau New Member

it depends on the racquet. The tension allowed is stamped on the side of the racquet somewhere. which racquet do you have and no it is not normal for the string to break after 70 minutes. You probably nick the string while you were stringing........

3. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

I have an arcsaber 10 from yonex. It says tension 20-25 lbs /9-11 kg. The string broke on the uppest cross line (left to right), of course i used 4 knots.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Sounds like a mishit. In that case, nothing to do with the stringing. Either that or the knot too loose.

5. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

If I'm happy with BG80 at 25Lb, how many lb should I string bg65 to match the repulsiveness/control?

Bg80 doesn't last long, so I want to use bg65 instead, but bg65 is too dull at 25lb and loose tension over time.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Start with +2lbs extra

s6edge likes this.
  7. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    you almost won't ever get it with bg65 even by increasing tension. The initial feel will be there, but after 2/3 weeks or a few sessions, that fresh stringing of bg65 feel will be gone and it will feel a bit dull again as opposed to bg80 which seems to retain tension longer and is a textured string compared to bg65.