BG 80 breaking

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Optimal, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    I bought my NR 900 with bg65 @24lb which after around 3 months I changed due loss of tension and the strings fraying. I restrung the racket with bg80 power @24lb which lasted around three weeks, I then restrung with BG 80 @24lb which lasted two weeks. With both BG 80's the main string has gone around 40mm from the top of the racket head (just above the sweet spot). My smash is reasonably good and I play more offensive, attacking. I've spoken to my stringer who thought the first one may have been due to picking up the shuttle from the floor with the racket as the stings are quite proud on the outside rim. The second time he put a small tape to cover the stings so this is ruled out.
    Has anyone useing this racket had the same problem, I've had BG 80 same tension on my NS 9900 with no problems. A restring every two, three weeks is not ideal time wise also the cost. I play twice a week for around 2 hours each session. Anyone have any suggestions.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Do you use plastics? Otherwise the short lifetime of your BG80 is very suspect. Even with plastics it must last more than a few weeks. I guess your stringer adjusted his clamps not very well/use cheap clamps or he has a bad batch of the BG80. I have experiences with BG80 Power which has every few meters a slightly defect which could be the reason for the short lifetime.

3. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    Does he string by with a reel of bg80 or a single pack of bg80?
    I noticed that a reel of string is worse than packs.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

You don't play BG80 for durability...;-)

5. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    Thanks for the replies,
    My stringer has been around for many years and has strung lots of my rackets, a few members at my club use him to. Don't know for sure but I'm guessing due to the amount of stringing he does it would be from a reel. As Ive used both BG 80 and 80 power, they surely couldn't both be a foul batch
    We use feathers for shuttles always.

I know the durability isn't great for the string but at 24lb and two and a half sessions I was totally shocked to see it break.

6. |_Footwork_|

Bad luck I guess.

I've once broken 2 (almost new) strings in 15 minutes.

Sometimes **** happens.
    If it happens more often, talk to your stringer. If it just happens once or twice, who cares...

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Let me guess. ZM62 1.Gen? :p

8. |_Footwork_|

Yonex strings only. Probably BG80...

9. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

It's been happening to me and some people I string for lately. If it snaps that high up it's probably a mishit because the mains aren't as protected by the crosses that high since it's like 1 cross string and about 2 cm of unprotected mains. Anyway it's been happening to people I string for asking 25x27 with BG80. And even with ZM67 which should be more durable than the BG80, all of which snapping in almost no time whereas previously, the strings off the reel performed for a long time. So I've recently decided to try buying from individual packages instead of off the reel to minimize the chance of restrings I have to do.

Check for any sharp grommets, provide your own string, or start stringing yourself. A basic dropweight string machine can cost as little as $150.

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I break BG80 like nothing, it's not that durable. It's one of those strings that break easily if you slice a lot and it also breaks easily for powerful guys.

That's a myth. Both strings come from the same place, the only difference is that the strings are cut shorter. Don't you start rumors like this! People already believe in too many ridiculous things as it is!

11. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Wow two weeks :0, I generally hit pretty hard and it never breaks it stays in my racquet for like months T____T I barely mishit /:

12. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

One of my doubles partners is a serial slicer and BG80 lasts him 2 weeks (breaks in the center), another i play with is a hard hitter with some slicing, breaks BG80 very often during fast exchanges (3-4 nights of play) and more than occasionally mishits near the edge of the frame (string snaps close the frame). There's also another guy in my club who uses BG66 Ultimax (he likes 66u for its feel and durability...LOL!), and i string his racket every 6 months or so.

13. |_Footwork_|

Obv you can't compare durability between players.

For some mediocre player with 25lbs who trains twice a week, BG80 may be good for months.

High level players who string above 30lbs and play daily will need a few new stringjobs every week.

14. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

It really does depends on the player and racket/stringing conditions. We've seen experiences in this thread with BG80 lasting anywhere from a week to 2-3 weeks to a few months depending on the player, player level and tensions used.

In my opinion, the OP (somebody with an offense/attacking playing style) shouldn't really complain about BG80 lasting 3 weeks. If you're concerned about durability, consider going back to BG65 or BG65ti.