Beginner - Which Raquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by crazyboy139, Sep 19, 2002.

1. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

Thx

First of all, I really wanna thank everyone for helping out and giving some advice, thx a lot :D

Now onto business, for those of you who have time, plz read the LONG list below and suggest one to three racquets that you think might be good for a beginner like me, the list composes of all the racquets I found at stores today (excluding Lee's and Yo's because my parents had to work so they couldn't drive me there :()

Babolat
    -Booster Touch
    -Explorer
    -SpeedFighter

BlackKnight
    -710 PRO Graph
    -718 G-Force Ti
    -771 PT
    -781 Ti
    -BK 210 Sapphire
    -Condor 203
    -DLX 1000
    -Force Ti XL

Carlton
    -Airblade 300
    -Airblade 350
    -Airblade Attack
    -Airblade C9750
    -Airblade Flex
    -Airblade Kevlar Hi-T
    -Airblade Power
    -Airblade Smash
    -Club
    -Flex Ti
    -MegaFlex F2
    -Power
    -PowerFlo 700 GR
    -Smash

Slazenger
    -Classic Precision
    -Classic Match

Victor
    -Fung 500

Wilson
    -Hyper Pro Staft 95
    -Ti Power
    -Ti Smash
    -Ultra Pro

Yonex
    -B460
    -B560 DF
    -Carbonex 7000
    -Carbonex 8100
    -ISO 23
    -ISO 30
    -ISO 50 MF
    -ISO 60 MF ($40 OFF :eek: :eek: )
    -ISO 62 MF Light
    -ISO 76 VF
    -ISO 90 VF Slim
    -MP 55
    -Ti 3 Light
    -Ti 5 Light

:D
    All done, thats the whole lot of racquets I held in my hand. I like the Yonex ones, they feel good. If someone actually read the whole list, plz tell me a couple of good racquets, afterwards I'll go back and see which one I like the most. If a really :eek: :eek: racquet isn't there, don't hesitate to name it, I'll find and try it if I die trying :D

Anyways thx in advance!

#41 crazyboy139, Sep 21, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2002
  2. crazyboy139

O btw, I forgot, when I buy a racquet, should I restring it?
    I only saw Yonex BG 65 Ti string for sale, but should I restring it with this?
    Or just leave the original ones?

Thx :p

3. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

Crazy boy what store did you go to?

4. crazyboy139

Umm
    I went to National Sports, Sports Chek, uh... and... Canadian Tire, WalMart too, but I didn't write down the names of the stuff they had, cause I didn't bring paper, and they only had 3 or something.

5. crazyboy139

Hmm how about YY MP 55, its 2U, doesn't seem too bad...
    Or am I too noobie for it :(

6. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    I can suggest these :

-Airblade Attack
    -Airblade Kevlar Hi-T
    -Airblade Power

As for the strings, you don't actually need to restring the 3 rackets above, once you use a high-end racket, that is the time to restring.

By the way, i think MP55 is already a high-end one.

7. crazyboy139

lol
    so then mp55 is too advanced for me :(

8. crazyboy139

Theres only a $10 difference here between YY MP 55 and Carlton Airblade Kevlar Hi-T, so it doesn't seem too much of a difference in pricing. :cool:

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think MP series will be too much for u right now. I know a lot of ppl who did well in badminton have a lot of trouble deal with MP series at the beginning.

I think maybe Carbonex 7000 / 8000 series fit for u more right now.

Good luck.

10. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    the one thing i'd say if you're a beginner NOT to do - is go with something unusual! don't buy something like a prince, or something with an odd head shape, or some gimmicky ultraflex shaft, or the like. in many ways, the best racket is the most classic one available, in many ways carlton is ideal.

best to learn the basic techniques on, and quite style neutral. you'll learn whether you'd be better with stiffer/flexier, lighter/heavier later!

11. crazyboy139

Umm..
    so which carlton is good from the list :confused:

I need more pro advice from u andrew! :D

*Err not that any other ppl's advice aren't pro! But I just need MORE pro advice! Sorry if my wording was bad, btw thx everyone who replied. :p

#51 crazyboy139, Sep 22, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  12. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

get one of the cheap Carlton' there good, allot of stores still sell the old airblade's 300 etc.. I went and bought A carlton AS-ti Top of the line, anyhow I've had 3 years prior experience playing badminton, although I stop playing for 3 1/2 years. Fortunately I was able to get away with buying the expensive racket, without the troubles of it screwing my game up.

Also The low end Yonex Cabonex are good rackets to start with, at least in my experience. My suggestion to you is try something different than Yonex, attempt to stray away from the mainstream racket, I can tell you probably the next racket I buy will either be Froza or Victor.

Hey I take offence to that, LOL! I learn to play badminton on a PRince Response racket, Great racket it was for it's time. Anyhow true enough, Prince really did stray away from the usual badminton principals when it came to Racket's, I felt that they were very, ingenuitive and Original, there racket's worked great, they IMHO pulled it off, only to later on Pull there racket's off the US/CAN market.

13. crazyboy139

Honestly, I really feel thankful that theres so many good advices being placed.

But can someone tell me that I wouldn't die with the MP 55, cause I really have my eyes set on it right now :D

14. tchandra

tchandra Regular Member

Computers
    Have you held a Mp55 in your hand? does it feel right? Try hitting a few shots with it (borrow from someone??). if u like the feel go for it.
    your heart seems to be set on the MP55, in which case I usually go with what my heart says - i know this is not the best advice.
    I know for a fact that most people who've had trouble adjusting to Mp series were seasoned players who had got used to their respective rackets. who knows maybe you will adjust better than they did - because you will not have to unlearn your old racket techniques - just a thought.
    My first racquet was a Cab8600, but I switched to a MP77. very very soon - i was very uncomfortable with the Cab8600- the flex was good, but I always felt I could not hit better (this I felt esp when I tested the Mp77:D ). So anyway, after 5 minutes of testing, i was $150 poorer, but a Mp77 owner. I did not have a problem adjusting to it - maybe I was too much of a novice - maybe my play technique was not set with the cab8600 anyway, so I could just go and learn how to wield the 77. Today I am much better player (if I do say so myself!:eek: )
    i know this post really does not have any useful suggestions, only my experience - which says that - when my heart is set one one thing I usually buy it. if i do not do so and instead go and buy a cheaper racket, every time I would miss, i would blame it on the racket (and not me - who IS at fault), and think what if I had bought MP55???
    then i would go and ALSO buy MP55
    spending DOUBLE of what I planned
    but thats me!
    :cool:

15. crazyboy139

Yea omg
    You are so right
    I agree with u 100%

All those racquets on the list
    I swung and held in my hand, they all felt the same to me
    LOL

But yea, chances are sooner or later I'd get the MP55.

Good job chandra, u told me exactly what I was going to do, lol!

Perfect, MP 55 IT IS!!!
    MUHAHAHA :D

16. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    Just a precaution, low durability is a common issue in MP's, you might end up buying a new one after a few weeks or so.

17. crazyboy139

O
    O well, I'll try my best not to bust it too bad :D

Thx for the advice

18. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

Bad idea, you say that now, but when you break the racket, Garunteed you'll remeber what we told you. Listen 3 people over at the club I play at have already broken there Mp77, MP100 etc.. and they range from medium to advanced players.

As a beginner your bound to clash racket's or hit the racket on the floor, Please get el cheapo like say 60-100 racket, and what ever you do don't buy your racket over at SPORTCHECK, or NATIONAL SPORTS, they suck, there over priced and have a very limited selection.

GO to either brown's sport in downtown Toronto, or YO sport and lee's in Markum right on higway 7 and woodbine, much better service, selection and prices, plus the owner's know a thing or two about badminton.

REMEBER stay away from SPORKCHECK etc.. unless you wanna buy that Protechno crap they sell there.

PS. those racket's give me a kick, they come with titanium strings, all the little features and gaget's at very low price, How do they do this, simple the racket's are junk, all looks, no play. Beleive I tried them out 2 people over at one of the clubs I play at have a $50 and $100 top of the line Techno I tried it out, and man the racket feels cheap when i play with it. Sorry for rambling on, it's really late here you know.

19. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    I think you should get a beginner's racket since you're a beginner. low-end rackets are tougher than what you thought, they can last a number of years. ;)

20. kenshinchong

kenshinchong Regular Member

Student
    I am a beginner myself and feel that the Carlton Attack and Yonex Carbonex 8200 is good. When you have improved furder, try using the Carlton Airblade series or the YY Ti-10.

Maybe you want to get a Prince racquet... if you can find one. I heard that they are quite expensive and have a very big 'sweet-spot'. I can't seem to find one in Singapore.

#60 kenshinchong, Sep 23, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2002