Badminton Sponsorships Recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ihasdapie, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    Hey all
    I'd like some advice on badminton sponsorships and which one I should apply for.
    I am a high provincial level, competitive player, inside an U15 age group. I live in BC, Canada.
    The thing is, I haven't competed in any provincially sanctioned tournaments at all this season, so I have not been able to garner many ranking points. However, in the other tournaments I have went to, I've been extremely competitive against members of the top 10 in the province, winning against the #4 in singles, and just barely losing to the #2 (within the province). So: I'd like to find a sponsorship, but given my recent lack of competition, i'm unsure if this is the right time to do so. I do know, and have been/is being coached by a few Olympic-level coaches, so I'm wondering if a good recommendation letter from them may increase my chances of obtaining a sponsorship. Or, would it be a better idea to, perhaps, contact a local equipment store if they are willing to sponsor. Would it be a possibility to perhaps obtain a sponsorship from yonex, as I currently use their racquets, or would it be better to seek one from, say, apacs Canada or black knight or something. Thanks

#1 Ihasdapie, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Chances are without playing tournaments, no one is going to sponsor you as for them its all about their brand being seen to do well in competitions. A letter from someone is close to begging in all honesty and doesn't do much good.

What you need to do is go out and get some strong results against strong players in your age group. Don't run before you can walk. At best, you can hope for a partial sponsorship from maybe blacknight, but like I said get out and compete.

Best of luck

3. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I
    Is third place in an A-level tourney a decent result?
    I also volunteer as a volunteer coach for a kid's camp very often, so I can provide a lot of exposure I would think

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You need consistent results in provincial and above tournaments. Sounds tough but that's how it is in sports. The other side want increased sales of the brand. If I was a sponsor with a limit of sponsorships, I would rather go for fewer players but who are winners in higher level tournaments. Why? Because I can say in my marketing 'my player won this, this and this tournament'.

It might be a good idea to ask your parents if you can enter two or three open provincials to test yourself.

Having said that, there is no harm in you asking those who provide sponsorships on their criteria.

I don't think there is any point for a letter from one of your coaches..

#4 Cheung, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student

Allright thanks

6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Least not so popular brand like Apacs sponsor Lee Yun Ill, They sponsor him because he is still good. Unless you start produce result on court, or else no brand will sponsor.

7. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I do have good results, first in doubles around half a year ago, third and second in singles in two tournaments last year, and second in inter-school badminton. However, these were in tournaments that are of the caliber of the provincial ranking tournaments, but are not (the actual ranking tourneys).

8. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I'll attempt to compete more next season I suppose, and see where that takes me, although I will be placed in the next age group up then, where I will have a disadvantage

9. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    You should be fighting for national team, then naturally you will sponsor when you got into the national team.

10. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    I wish... I doubt I'm good enough

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Well, now and next season is the time to start preparing for later.

Work out areas of your game that are weak. Watch what the top players do and the choices they make - see in your own game where you differ in selecting shots. Work out where you are more inconsistent.

You can always improve on your serve and netshots. I get very annoyed if I serve out / in the net. That's an easy point to the opponent.

12. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Yes agreed with Bro Cheung . In doubles sometimes we even see top doubles serve into the net. Top players also make mistakes....

13. Ihasdapie

Ihasdapie Regular Member

Student
    Thanks! I'm training hard already and i'll be working even harder on getting better

Cheung likes this.
  14. Sam Cassar

Sam Cassar Regular Member

student
    I am a badminton player from Malta and I just started competing in the European circuit U17, my goal is to qualify for the Youth Olympic Games next year. Currently i sort of have a sponsor which provides me with 50% of FZ Forza products. Does anybody know from where i can get a better sponsor ?

15. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    In UK most sponsors ask for 1 or 2 season results to gauge whether you are worth sponsoring. It would have to be national ranking tournaments too, and playing consistently in your county/regions 1st/2nd team.

That would give them an idea as to what exposure you would be able to offer their brand. I would say 1 season of top 4 finishes in most tournaments you enter would give them good incentive to sponsor you. Giving them a couple of season worth of results would given them an idea of whether you are able to play at that level for sustained periods without dipping in form or injured too.