Badminton in SEA games

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by Rascak_23, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    i thought susilo just really hurt his achiles tendon in the world champs first round????

i think he'll be out for quite a while. it would be great if he could make it for the sea games tho

cheers from neighbour Malaysia

8man

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, Ronald is seriously injured and will definitely be out of the SEA Games unfortunately. He may not be able to make it to the Commonwealth Games either. Singapore will find it very tough going during the SEA Games and I personally don't expect much. :(

3. restricted_

restricted_ Regular Member

oh yeah! i forgot that he have to stay off court for 6 months which means he wouldnt make it for SEA games. oh no! not even commonwealth? that's really very sad. hais.

4. .:Luân Kid:.

.:Luân Kid:. Regular Member

Hi hi hi , NTM won Taufik in Malaysia 05 in semi , do u know ?

5. genjyo

genjyo Regular Member

really? i just know LCW won taufik in qf in m'o this year....
    BTW, who is NTM?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

NTM is known as Nguyen Tien Minh. He is from Vietnam. A young player , very fast.

7. genjyo

genjyo Regular Member

thank you a lot:)
    i hope i can watch his performance sometime

8. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    yea actually i do think vietnam is a little better in terms of quality than phillipines.but it wont be difficult to beat singapore in the mans team event.just aim our doubles.we are really weak in that.we dont have some heros lik kkk/chan cm or sigit/candra.and without susilo it will really be another blow.dont expect much from singapore this time.just a credible performance will do.indonesia will dominate this whole tournament.but the event to watch will be the surely be xd and md.so guys keep a good lookout for this matches.cheers:cool:

9. fastattack

fastattack Regular Member

student player
    Philippines arrived later to badminton than other Asian countries, but I predict that as badminton evolves there over the next couple of years, they will be major contenders together with China, etc. As far as I understand, Philippines is already a considerable force in doubles, but have yet to really have an impact in singles.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

RP shuttle cockers confident of chances

From the SEA Games website

By Starr Corpuz

After its stint in the 2005 Chinese Taipei Satellite Badminton Championships and a month of training in China , the National badminton team is hoping to make an impact in the 23rd Southeast Asian Games.

To boost their chances of surpassing their one medal finish in the 2003 Hanoi Games, Kennevic and Kennie Asuncion, ranked 22nd in mixed doubles, together with 14 other members of team participated in aTaipei tournament held last August 31 to September 4.

Ten days after the event, the 16-member squad flew to Guangzhou , China for their month long training as part of the RP-China sports accord.

Aside from the Asuncion siblings, the only rated Filipino players in the world, the other members of the team include Lloyd Escoses, Rodel Bartolome, Ian Piencenaves, Arolas Amahit Jr., Jaime Junio, Owen Lopez, Mark Natividad, Marlon Villarin, Christopher Flores, Paula Obañana, Irene Chiu, Karyn Velez, Vanessa Tanco and Amada Carpo.

They are joined by coaches Martin Araneta, Antonio Mance, Ronald Magnaye and Allan de Leon.

With the games formally unfolding Sunday, Araneta is confident the team will do better this time with the support given to the athletes.

"I hope many Filipinos realize badminton is a sport where we can excel. Given the proper support, we will be able to move forward,” said Araneta.

The Indons and Malaysians are again expected to dominate every event in Badminton, especially if Athens Olympic gold medalist Taufik Hidayat and 2005 Swiss Open champion Hafiz Hashim will be playing for their respective countries.

Kennevic Asuncion, ranked 82nd in the world men's singles has the best chance of winning a medal in the singles event. He will once again team up with sister Kennie to defend their bronze medal in mixed doubles during the 2003 Sea Games in Vietnam.

* On a personal note I hope the Phil players can take a scalp or two. That would really get the crowd into it and stir further interest in the sport. In any case good luck to all nations but I see only INA, MAS and maybe SIN taking the golds.

11. rayneee

rayneee New Member

Student
    Sorry to say, but i think it's quite impossible for them to retain their title. With the malaysian, indo, thailand and singapore pair, it will be very difficult. But i do wish them the best of luck and it's actually quite nice to see Philippines win for a change!

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Like I said it would be great to see the Phil players create an upset or two. That's probably the most realistic scenario for them. You're right about there being superior XD pairs ahead of the Phil duo. I predict THA for gold, INA for silver, MAS/SIN for the bronze. But you never know what a home crowd can do for you (see US in World Championships)

13. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

team event or individual event???

btw. r u guys talking about individual or team event???

if you r talking about team event, we should talk about the strategy of arranging the players thru' Head-to-Head records.

if you r talking about individual event, the prediction is easier as Taufik is not playing in the individual event.

MS draw
    1st Half
    (1)Lee Chong Wei MAS
    (6)Lee Yen Hui Kendrick SIN vs (8)Nguyen Tien Minh VIE
    (3)Boonsak Ponsana THA
    (5)Simon Santoso INA vs Wally Fernandez PHI

2nd Half
    (11)Nguyen Quang Minh VIE vs (7)Ronald Susilo SIN
    (4)Sony Dwi Kuncoro INA
    (9)Poompat Sapkulchananart THA vs (10)Kennevic Asuncion PHI
    (2)Mohd Hafiz Hashim MAS

(x) - seeding for this tournament.

14. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

Men's Doubles

1st Half

(1)Luluk/Alven INA
    Nguyen Hoang Hai/Quang Phong VIE
    (5)Sudket Prapakamol/Photapol Ngensrisuk THA
    (4)Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah MAS vs Ian Piencenaves/Arolas Amahit PHI

2nd Half

(7)Koo Kian Teck/Alvin Fu SIN vs Jamie Junio/Mark Alvin PHI
    (3)Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan INA
    Tan Thanh Hai/Quang Minh VIE vs (6)Songphol/Nitipong THA
    (2)Chan Chong Ming/Koo Kien Keat MAS

15. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

hi guys... pls enlighten me here... so is Ronald taking part in the SEA Games??? His name is in the draw but thought he was supposed to be recuperating?? :confused:

16. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i saw ronald and the rest of the singapore team yesterday practicing, i think he's not going to play 'cuz the way he walked yesterday, he was kinda limping and he didnt play as intense as the others, then just this afternoon i watched team indonesia practice as well as thailand early this evening. everybody was practicing real hard and having i great time, specially me:D

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    did you manage to take pics with the players? all of them seems to be in a rush after the sessions.

just chatted with ronald few days ago. He still have to ice his legs.

18. daph56

daph56 Regular Member

i don't think ronald will be playing.he carn possible playing a match limping thoughout.

19. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

yah... read from the papers...he's most prob acting as a decoy ....:rolleyes:

hopefully he can fully recuperate in time to take part in next yr's main tourneys..

20. daph56

daph56 Regular Member

Ronald confirm not playing.Aaron Tan of SIngapore will replace ronald.(got this information from singapore badminton association website.)