Badminton Fitness

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Ferrerkiko, May 2, 2017.

1. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Guys :

I would like to enquire from you guys how to build up strong badminton fitness plus good enough for Iocal tournaments games.

Combination of these 4 exercise, besides own games and training.

1) Doing 2.4km 4 times a week
    2) Doing 3 sets of 20 push up 4 times a week
    3) Doing 3 sets of 40 sit up 4 times a week
    4) Doing Bench Press 4 times a week .

Guys any suggestion. thanks

2. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I would add some explosive work outs such as dead lift and squat( once a week tho) . They will help you more than bench press. Also, lunge and one leg squat are also a good option to take to your consideration. Make sure you eat enough because those exercises plus your training may lead you to overtrain easily.

3. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

These are some examples of how professional players like Ratchanok and Axelson approach training and fitness. It's a lot of footwork focus, agility, leg strength, and core exercises.

There certainly is no harm in doing upperbody work such as pushups or bench press. However, those two exercises are redundant (they target the same muscles). If you want to work on upper body strength, I would recommend pairing push-pull movements together, such as bench press + barbell row.

Now, the program you follow will depend on your goals. Do you want to become stronger physically? Play better badminton? What do you want to work on? Answering these questions will make it easier for you (and others!) to decide on a well defined routine for you. Personally, I train and focus on my agility, explosiveness, and core. To accomplish this, I do fast feet exercises, chinese footwork, explosiveness training, and practice my footwork on the court.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good suggestions from the other guys. IIRC, Ferrerkiko, didn't you previously get an injury from repetitive training?

5. ltjrpliskin

ltjrpliskin Regular Member

What should training outside the court be focused on?

HIIT and Cardio can be done on court right, so should we be concentrating on strength training at the gym?

pepe54 likes this.
  6. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

It depends on how much time you have on court! If you have unlimited court hours, then yes, you can do all your cardio, HIIT, and footwork on the court, while focusing on strength training off court :)

For me, I may only have a few hours a week to be on court (game time and training time both). So, I train my HIIT and speed off the court to maximize my court time. On court I'll do things for footwork or with a shuttle.