Bad blood in badminton

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by Serendibb, Mar 23, 2006.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    were there a line judge? Umpire usually dont or can't see well enough to catch service infraction.

2. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I don't think that the service judges were very good at all, as i noticed a few players with persistently foul serves who did not get penalised. The two obvious ones I noticed were Craig Cooper of New Zealand who looked like he was serving at chest height and Li Yujia of Singapore who clearly did a double action with every serve. Incidentally Li did get penalised once or twice but if it were me I would have called the vast majority of her serves a fault.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

agreed, Li also screams too much, and her serves sucks

4. FrenziedEye

FrenziedEye Regular Member

Hasnt IBF changed the rules of serving??? Umm...I did a junior umpiring course about few months back...

The waist has been re-defined as the bottom of a person's ribcage....

SO THAT IS PRETTY HIGH...

Has anyone heard of that rule or found it on a site? Please let me know thanks. Need to confirm it.

#24 FrenziedEye, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  5. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah he did actually ask a few times for the umpire to watch Brehaut's (sp?) serve. Although upon watching the last stages of the match again which I managed to get on tape, I couldn't really see anything wrong with the serve, although the angle they showed it at was pretty poor so I couldn't really judge it too well. He may or may not have been faulting, I'm just not sure.

But Geoff Bellingham... It was wrong of him to have lost it like that, but as ants said, no player is perfect and he could easily have just had a very bad day or something. We don't really know the full circumstances. Bellingham is usually a pretty good guy. But even as a Kiwi, I'm not a huge fan of the way Craig Cooper throws his racquet around and all. Really gives the rest of the team a bad image, which they do not deserve at all.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If he's drive serving from the chest level and standing near the service line, it's definitely illegal:(. It's even more obvious if he's tall. For a drive serve to be legal, the player has to stand further back in order to get the flat trajectory from the proper service posture.

Like David14700 mentioned, the right response to his drive service would be to put up the racquet and tap it back twice as fast when he serves:p.

I think Bellingham got too bothered about Brehaut's service to do anything about it. Hard to think when emotions get too high.

#26 cappy75, Mar 24, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  7. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    That is absolutely poor behaviour! If the guy has a problem with the opponent's serve, then he can complain with the serve judge and the umpire, there is no need to shout abuse directly at his opponent.

8. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    There are quite a few Kiwis who have really bad attitude on court, john gordon, who is injured once screamed out loud at a line judge, i think twice that match, and i was a line judge for that tourny fortunately not his match lol...

They shouldn't complain too much about little line calls or little things during the game, it only affects their concentration, just keep playing and remain focus

Btw john gordon(injured) is much worse tempered compared to geoff, geoff doesn't lose his cool as much as Gordon does, i wouldnt get near him when he's losing...those of u who watched kiwi badminton b4 would know what i mean...sometimes he really deserves a red card rather than just a warning from the umpire
    i prefer players like dan shirley just cool and calm, at least i havent seen him lost it...

9. kanive

kanive Regular Member

No, it is perfectly easy to do, if you are reasonably tall and/or serve from a couple of feet behind the service line. And you don't have to aim for their face either, you can pass them around elbow height swinging in to the backhand corner of the court. It's not easy to drive it back. The easiest counter is a net corner drop. It is not a high percentage serve, so not something you should try in a rally point situation. But it can be devastating if done right.

Does anyone have video (or at least a sequence of stills) of Brehaut serving? I am also curious -- where does his partner stand?

10. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Were they forehand or backhand?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, that needs confirming because the bottom of a person's ribcage is open to wide interpretation.

1) the lowest part of the ribcage is below the umbilicus (even lower than the level of the elbow when the arm is placed to the side)

2) the lower margin of the ribcage extends from the just below the sternum (which is above the umbilicus) and can be traced further down as you move along it's border.

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    The australian pair were service faulted at least twice on flick serves in the semi

13. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    it's been a funny competition really.

i mean.. i've seen 2 people get faulted on service that i've never seen faulted before. (tracey hallam for lifting a foot?? which is almost unheard of and wouldn't surprise me if she was split stepping.., donna kellog - whose serve looks pretty high, but i'm about 95% certain he action is totally
    legal)

totally agree about the singapore girls serve, my brother commented that it looked like a double action.

also one of the indian girls forehand serves was far too flat, hand not clearly above the racquet head.

so currently we have good serves called bad and bad serves called good.

also, the shuttles were painfully slow.. i didn't see any testers but rumour has it they were about 9 inches to a foot short of the doubles high service line..

if this is the case brehauts serve would have been even more difficult to return - he could have driven really hard and the shuttle would have stayed in when normally it would have flown out..

i'd certainly be interested to see it tho..

Coops

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can't comment myself on the serves (since I'm not watching the action). But the Kiwi outburst did make the sports pages here. That's pretty good considering there's no local interest in the Commonwealth games.

I believe the term is called 'sledging' :p

15. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    Australia cheated? my ass

When NZ played Uganda one of the NZ players had a highly illegal serve that was not picked up.

The taller out of the two was doing it. Striking the shuttle at the height just below his chest!

The top-most part of the head was above the handle.

Most illegal serve I have ever seen and he got away with it every time!

He was a tall player already........why serve like that.

Man the umpires need a kick in the ass for letting that slip.......the ugandans did not even complain.

Biggest load of rubbish illegal serve I have ever seen!

Anyone else who was there see that?

Not biased against NZ but that guys serve was just crap! Absolute cheat serve!

16. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Yeah dude this is what I am on about! Mate that was a ridiculus serve height! How could umpires let that go........everytime?

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i know AUS spent alot of money in their national sports program and expected a lot back so the athletes are really pressured to win. When the pressure and maybe money is high enough, cheating is not a surprise. Anyway, NZ (bellingham) shouldn't blow up because he just bot in AUS's trap.

18. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    The Kiwis played at the Canadian Open a few months ago...I also remember Craig Cooper serving almost from chest height lol...at the time i just thought it looked bizarre. I dont recall any service judge penelizing him though during any of the matches where I was line judging.

19. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Yes, it is even more bizarre that he doesn't get penalised. So he will just continue to serve that way.

20. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I haven't been very impressed with the umpires, service judges etc. of the games.

But yeah, I really hope Craig Cooper, John Gordon etc. improve their attitudes, they're giving us Kiwis a bad name :(.