Aviva Open Singapore 2005 - Impressions

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by Loh, Jul 6, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Nice Pics Loh.Your 2nd pics shows Chetan Anand playing.Did u watch this guy play????What do u think of him???He lost really badly to Gade but played very well and upset Dicky.so what do u make of him???

2. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

i watched the match btw PG and Anand, to be fair, it's quite an achievement for him (Anand) to reach the 3rd round. the match wasn't as bad as the score line.. he tried playing his game but no offense, PG is a player of a different class.

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Interesting road sign at the intersection there. "Give." Does that mean yield to the cross traffic or be generous to panhandlers should one be waiting on that corner? :D

4. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I asked coz i have watch him play and he's pretty deceptive.anyways Gade himself said Anand did well to upset Dicky and that's quite a compliment.He's still a far cry from Gade's level i know but did he try any tricks ??i just wanna know what u make of him??was he nervous??how did he fare??

Did u watch his match against Dicky Palmaya where he upset him??

5. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

i didnt watch his match against Dicky. he started pretty ok, but he couldn't trouble PG and his shots were returned all the time... sorry, didnt follow the whole match as his demised ws kinda expected :D overall, he fared well..

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Like Sunzhi, I didn't watch the whole of his matches as there are other matches being played simultaneously. So we fleet from one match to another most of the time.

But I think Chetan must be one, if not the best, of your players. He had to qualify to the main draw by beating two players and beat another two, namely Sasaki of Japan and Dicky Palyama, seeded 15, of Indonesian origin and now playing for the Netherlands. Dicky is a good player to justify that seeding and to be able to beat him, Chetan must be good.

Yes, I have seen Chetan play before. He has improved tremendously and is calm and collected on court. He evokes a sense of self-confidence and his skill is better. I think he must have put in quite a lot of hard work and I wonder who his coach is? Pudukone? For the SO, he is the most successful of all the Indian players and by all accounts, he must be the number one in India now. He can only be better if he continues to put in more training. ;)

BTW, the road sign "GIVE WAY" tells the motorist to give way to traffic on the right as that location is a circle.

Attached Files:

#26 Loh, Jul 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    singapore badminton.

Great shots Loh.

Anyway, to improve badminton. Players need to play more competition. The number will show. So thats why it is important to have many tournaments so that both nationals and non nationals can play. Sometimes the locals can learn something from experience players. Its the exposure.

Perhaps a year 24 tournaments for national players will be good exposure to some of the youngsters. They may learn some lessons. Sooner.

There are so many CC in singapore, Wonder why there is no tournament year round. PA or SBA must be sleeping.:D

rgds

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I think we should stop dissing MO now, the event is pretty well organised apart from the fact that there is no live scoring. BAM is handling everything to keep the cost down. For live scoring, they probably need to employ 3rd party companies to do it, which costs a lot.

SBA recently had a lot of money pumped into it, because the GOVT there wants to boost up badminton. Also, considering BAM will be sending 20+ players (excluding coaches/doctors) to US soon, that will cost millions, whereas SBA will only be sending a few. So I think BAM could be running a tight budget right now.

BAM has to get its priorities right, sending players to WC is more important than live scoring at the moment. However, I do hope that live scoring will at least be up next year.

Let the competition be within the tournament, not between tournaments.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi DaN_fAn

I just found two more pics of Chetan Anand during his R3 match with Peter Gade:

Attached Files:

10. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Thanx for your pics and assesment on Chetan Anand lol!
    after he beat Dicky i was hoping if maybe he could take atleast a set of Peter,But i guess Peter Gade is not Peter Gade for nothing.he will not allow a new player to throw his weight around him.
    Any ways i am happy that Chetan atleast reached till where he did and wish him more success.

11. bmt-girl

bmt-girl Regular Member

^Word. :) Great coverage of the tournament by the way :D

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    foreigh talent.

Aiyah...what to do..? Short cut mah.... Got plenty of money... shopping for players loh.....cheap cheap....
    I guess maybe not much in proactive participation in sports development. Easy way out I guess....Wah.. Imagine Taufik play for singapore....what a waste...:D

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Camera angle still too steep

After watching the video, I agreed lots of things have improved compare to last year and I hope the upcoming World Championship in US can be as nice as the Singapore Open. The only thing I think could have been improved is the camera position on baseline, the angle was still too steep in my opinion and has been that way for the past 3 years. I can hardly tell what the players were doing until the replay from different cameras.
    Just my opinion

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    When I say short cut, it doesn't necessarily mean what you are suggesting.

Long time ago, we had our very own badminton maestro, the late Wong Peng Soon. But because of the nature of our society then, when the majority of Chinese parents wanted their talented children to study first, play later, sports never took priority.

It was only recently, say last 5 to 10 years, that greater efforts have been placed on the arts and sports by the government and the local National Sports Associations once Singapore has achieved a comfortable level of economic development. To a certain extent, it was found that the arts makes more creative people and sports can help improve productivity in the sense that sports can improve health which then reduces the incidence of illness and sick leave.

The so-called 'short-cut' is to help us reduce the time taken to revive our badminton prowess sparked off so long ago (in the 1950's) by the great Wong and his teammates. Since it will still take some time to convince parents to readily send their sports talented children to the special Sports School (only in its third year of operation (?) compared to other countries in the region like Malaysia and Indonesia) and more time (at leat 4 to 6 years) to develop SS kids, who are admitted when they are about 12 years old, into regional and international athletes. So importing talented children from this part of the world and developing them with our resources is one way to go about it to beef up our numbers.

From time to time, popular names like Taufik, when the opportunity arises, may be engaged to help popularize the badminton game here and they have indeed delivered. And when our players win regional and international competitions, they also help raise the popularity level of badminton to such a frenzy as was the case last year.

Engaging and importing foreign talents come at a price. The price is determined by market conditions. The question of cheapness is relative. If the market price, together with other related living conditions, is not right then foreigners won't come if they have a better choice.

But for Singapore this arrangement has been a "win-win situation". Some of our imported talents are now Singapore citizens. Obviously they must have decided that it is better for them. Indeed, had such foreign talents remain in their home countries, they may not have the opportunities they are now enjoying, comfortable pay, overseas travel, competiting against the best in the world, prize moneys, bonuses, etc.

I suppose once Singapore has built up its own talent pool, there will be less need to import. But I think to a certain extent, Singapore is disadvantaged in this area as it has a small population and there are many competing demands on its talented young. In other words, our badminton talent base will continue to be small and this makes it difficult for us to really shine on the world stage.

This policy of importing foreign talents is not restricted to Singapore. Many European countries which are richer than Singapore are doing so as well. Globalization and the liberalization of such countries as China, where hitherto travel is controlled, make it possible for talented sports people to ply their wares elsewhere. :D

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Funny scenario

Nothing againsts importing players from strong badminton nations but it will be funny to see the Quarter final of Women's Singles in the future represented by eight different countries but all originated from China :D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    True, but it will be a sense of achievement for the foreign talent and his/her host country if he/she should beat her 'countryman'. As is normally the case, the foreign talent is considered not good enough to represent his/her own country and is one reason why he/she left in the first place. :)

17. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    It is still better than 8 Chinese players representing China and playing in the quarterfinal. Certainly there will not be a fighting spirit.

I still remember what Lindan said after AE2005 final. He told that it does not matter whoever (either Chen Hon or himself) wins in the final. And he gave the reason as China win the Man Single.

He could be right in his own patriotic point of view . But it makes a lot of frustration to fan and sport.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you are not aware that the Inter-Constituency Tournament has been going on for many, many years and it is competitive and well-supported with a record number of entries this year. Sealman has reminded us in this Forum about this year's competition, which was once again won by Mountbatten. Hitherto there was hardly any publicity and only those directly involved (and there are quite a number) knew of its popularity. If you care to go to the PA website you will find the details of this tournament.

Quite the contrary, the SBA has not been sleeping. It has grown in strength and stature with a Minister in charge and its various programmes have been updated, unpgraded and well-thought out. I have from time to time posted some of the achievements of the SBA, on its ability in organizing numberous well-run tournaments (the just concluded Aviva Open Singapore 2005 is one good example), which have expanded to included not only age-group competitions but also the Masters events (for the senior and veteran players) and Youth Internationals. You could see a calendar of events on the SBA website which included more traditions ones like the National Championships, Satellite, the Singapaore Open, etc.

Apart from this, the SBA has recently been rather successful in getting sponsors. Apart from Yonex, a traditional source of support for badminton related equipment, Cheers and Aviva, together with other companies, have been roped in to finance SBA programmes. Aviva is a new name here and the ability of SBA in luring this very large British insurance company is a feather in its cap. Commitments from companies are normally for a few years.

And more recently the SBA Management has organized a golf tournament which brought in more than a million Singapore dollars to start a Players Endowment Fund, which is meant to assist players financially when they retire from active playing.

You already know something about our foreign-talent scheme. The initiatives from SBA to talent-scout from nearby countries to be trained and represent Singapore have been discussed in these Forum pages at some length. This scheme has brought about satisfactory results and helped raise local standards. Ronald Susilo has already made a name for himself and is now well-assimilated into Singaporean society. He and Li Jiawei will probably marry and set their roots in Singapore. This may be followed by Li Li, who already has a steady.

I'm sure there are more in the pipeline as the SBA is serious in its goal of putting Singapore in the World Badminton Map. :)

So are we fair in saying SBA is sleeping? :rolleyes: