AT700 Vs MP88 (please advice)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by minimax, Jan 10, 2004.

1. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

just get a at700 and ull know it urself.

2. Robbie

Robbie Regular Member

IT
    Hi MiniMax,
    I owned both Ti-10(2U) and MP-88(3U). Both are great racquets. As a guy I assume you are too the 3U MP-88 is light enough. Great for net play and tap shots. You also mention 'you need something to compensate more power' due to some injury. Well, a 4U will not give you more power. If you need power I suggest you opt for a 2U version Ti-10 , MP99 etc. Also I find the MP88 being 3U feels quite fragile and you will feel more vibrations on your shots so I assume it being more so on a 4U version.
    This is my personally opinion but I'm sure both of the racquets you've mentioned being Yonex are good in there own way.

Robbie

3. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Hi Robbie,

Yes, sorry to dissapoint you, I am a guy :) . I had a 2U Ti-6 strung to 20lb, I fancied a change. And the new AT700G has just arrived!!! It is very good looking and it feels lighter but not that much. My Ti6 weights 95g and the At700 is 88g, the AT700 feels stiffer and easier to manoeuvre. My first game tomorrow morning, I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks all!

4. minimax

minimax Regular Member

For those who wish to find out how did I get on, here is a short review after the first game using the AT700.

Following is a comparison of using the AT700 to my Ti-6 (strung to 20lb), I switch the rackets over a few time during the games.

Game style: single (55 mins)
    Near net play: The AT700 makes it easy and gives good feedback, lighter and giving better manoeuvrability and control.

Back of the court, high up return: Too much power needs some control to stop the shuttle going out of the court. Backhand has a bit more power than the Ti-6, possibly due to the lightweight manoeuvrability factor (swing faster). It makes it easy to recover “bad” situation, giving some breathing space.

Drop shot: Easily done, quicker recovery, ready for the next shot. Not that much different to the Ti-6.

Smashing (form the back of the court): Awesome! This is where the AT700 shines, increased speed, steeper angle (possible my imagination); totally surprised the opponent! Even with the shuttle is nearly above my head, I can still manage a good smash. The swing speed is faster, hence less muscle power needed.

Overall, this is an excellent racket. Powerful, slightly stiffer than the Ti-6 but light enough to gives the necessary manoeuvrability for quick net play. It loves (and chew) feather shuttles providing good speed and control; good speed on plastic too. Personally, I don’t think it is head heavy, just about right.

What can I say, I can’t blame the racket any more ;)

Thanks all for your help!

5. equus

equus Regular Member

minimax,

since you've tried both the at700 and mp88, both 4u, i assume, would you say the at700 really feels heavier because of the weight distribution? did you feel any difference in maneuvering the rackets?

6. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Equus,

The MP88 is noticeably more maneuverable than the AT700 at the net, but I would say, if you have a medium strong wrist, the AT700 would not post a problem at all.

The AT700 doesn't feel heavier than the MP88 in "normal" play, but it does tire me out quicker during agressive long games. I had it for 4 weeks now, and my arm is adjusting to it very well. (just a bit of rubbing every now and then). :)

7. equus

equus Regular Member

minimax,

were you able to get good smashes with the mp88 when you tried it out? i've read that the mp88 is also head heavy although not as head heavy as the at700. i'm really worried that the at700 4u might be too head heavy that the weight will not make much of a difference anymore as compared to a 2u racquet. i used to use a ti10 2u.

8. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Hi Equus,

To be honest, I didn't play a proper game with the MP88, so my view on its performance is very limited . It is still very good at smashing, but I found the AT700 a bit more "surprisingly" fast when you hit the sweet spot.

I had a Ti6 2U (20lb tension), the AT700 feels significantly lighter and it is not as head heavy as most people said, definitely worth the money.

A smash from the AT700 has a higher "kill" rate, it makes me keep using smash to gain points, that's probably why I am more tire with the AT700.

My suggestions are:

If you are playing single, get the AT700
    If you are an agressive double player like me, get the AT700
    If you have a strong arm and wrist, get the AT700

If you are a double and tactical player, get the MP88.

Hope this help.

9. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Although I haven't had the chance to try out an AT700 yet, I also find the MP88 to be noticeably more maneuverable at the net than my MP99. Since the Yonex chart shows the AT700 in the vicinity of the MP99, I guess those relative assessments would be somewhat comparable.

Your mention of heaviness and arm soreness also brings up a subtlety that might merit a separate thread:

- Are you referring to the racket's weight in grams ?
    - Are you referring to the feeling of heaviness known as the "moment of inertia", i.e.
    a measure of how hard it is to get an object to turn about a particular axis ?

The latter might explain why two rackets of otherwise identical weight (in grams) can produce different levels of muscular strain and soreness, i.e. due to the way mass is distributed about the axis of rotation.

BTW, the same type of confusion may also exist when people talk of "head heavy" rackets. Are they referring to the static assessment of how a racket balances on a finger or the dynamic moment of inertia felt in play?

Cheers,

Mike

10. minimax

minimax Regular Member

mlvezina,

I can't feel the difference in weight (statically).

Yes, the moment of inertia is different between the two, more noticable in slight movements. The MP88 seems to more responsive to slight movements.

I think the distribution of mass is one of the factor than caused tireness in mymuscle (only slightly), but the other major factor I would say is that I have become even more agressive with the AT700 as explained in my last post.

I some what disagree with you assumption of "head heavy" being a static measurement of wieght distribution, I am no expert in this field, but in a dynamic sport, I believe "heaviness" is often relate to movement? I=Sum of r2 X M

sorry being cheeky :p

11. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

Well, minimax, I don't think I assumed much of anything so there's nothing to be sorry about ;)

Rather, I asked whether "head heaviness"referred to a racket balanced on a finger (where the point of equilibrium is closer to the head) or to a feeling of heaviness while playing (moment of inertia).

Cheers,

Mike

12. minimax

minimax Regular Member

Moment of inertia is also directly related to the head mass too. My believe is how much does it feel when playing that is what matter and this could be very subjective.

Cheers,

Alan