Are these "Net Touch" faults?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by narnia, Oct 18, 2008.

1. msinha1

msinha1 New Member

Doctor
    Both are faults.

:eek:As long as birdie has not fallen on ground net touch is fault.

2. msinha1

msinha1 New Member

Doctor
    Situation 2 is not fault

Sorry for the mistake. Situation 2 is not fault.

3. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I think the Japanese can hit the net anyways, considering the shuttle hitting the net first or not. There is a rule that state that, it is a fault when a shuttle, after being hit, does not continue its flight towards the opponent's side of the court. So, when it is very clear that the shuttle will never reach over the net towards the opponent's side of the court, it is a fault already. This means that the shuttle CAN be out of play, even if the shuttle hasn't hit anything yet. In that case, you can hit the net or anything else as often as you want ;)

So I agree with Erik, except the point where he states that the shuttle is only out of play when it hits the net first.

4. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

I think we should be clear that as long as the shuttle is obviously not going over the net then it will not be a fault. If by instance that the shuttle did hit the tape and at the same time you hit the net, please don't tell me it is not a fault.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

according to the rules, it looks there there is a gap to me.

The fault:
    This only applies if this qualifier is true:
    It cannot be in play since,
    However, if the non-striking player collects the shuttle in her racket before it touched the floor, there is no way for the point to be won, since a point can only be won when:
    So technically it is a situation where no fault occured, and no point was won!

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

No, there is no rule that states that. There is one that says
    As long as the shuttle goes 'toward' the opponent's court WHEN you hit it, it is not a fault. It can never be called a fault just because the shuttle hit the net (excluding service faults 13.2.1, 13.2.2). It can only be called 'not in play'

7. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Wrong. There is such rule: 13.3.10 touches a player’s racket and does not travel towards the opponent’s court

And there is also a rule that states:

13.3.3 fails to pass over the net

So the rules still implicate, that when a shuttle is clearly not passing the net, or will not continue its way towards the opponent's court, the shuttle is no longer in play. E.g.: It is clear that the shuttle will land in the middle of the net on the side of the striker, just like in the picture above.