ArcSaber 8 DX

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bad_fanatic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Have to note: soft feeling definitely contributed by BG65 at 10% too low and playing with former (youth) national team members can make you feel very mortal :p. One more test to perform ... put in repulsive string!

And "flexible" = less than expected extra stiff

#441 demolidor, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Tamagi

Tamagi Regular Member

Thanks for the reply demolidor. It won't be easy getting a 2nd Gen Ti-10, and even the Purple Ti-10 could be expensive if the custom officers decide to get curious…

I use to play mostly singles. But some kilos and a shoulder/elbow injury later, I have discovered the joys of doubles. So I swapped the Armortec and ArcSaber for NS9900s and am happy but I can definitely feel a loss of power on my smashes/clears. Rarely but it's there. And since I still play singles now and then, I wanted something suitable for both. The 8DX seems to fit the bill but I'm itching to try the legendary Ti. With its longer shaft and a heavier head (than the NS9900), it may just be fine.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You should look for an opportunity to try out ARC8DX, it may very well suit you. These were just my first impressions, not helped by a re-occurance of some shoulder pain after not warming up properly :eek: (little tear from years ago from throwing). I guess Ti-10, ARC10, NS9 series are a better match for my swing (yes quite difference bp's but no problems getting the timing right); at least it didn't take longer than a session to get used to. Will try 8DX again with more repulsive strings, going to pick it up now in fact [​IMG] (also my first time on court again after the summer break so a little rusty perhaps :p)

#443 demolidor, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Ta-da! Metallic white BG66(M) @ 30lbs, matches the white on the racket as well ;). Re-doing my grip as well right now making it thicker and looks like I finally found a good setup ... [​IMG].

Attached Files:

5. yumyumtaco

yumyumtaco Regular Member

I love my arc 8dx <3
    Nbg 98 makes this racquet a powerful beast

6. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Just switched back to A900P-LCW. Been using the Arx8DX since its debut. Nothing wrong with it, but the LeeChong Wei's Armortec900P proved too tempting...color is a beaut :D. It's the most user friendly racquet.

7. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Which racquet shaft is stiffer? Ti-10 3rd gen or arc 8dx?

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Ti.10 3rd gen should be stiffer.

9. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Cool, then i cant wait to get my hand on 8dx...btw, which is better in driving and smasing power?

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So... I finally had a chance to test this racket today, I only had a demo, so it was factory strung (around 21lbs) and strung with BG65Ti, not my usual setup (BG80@26+) so the results of what I found probably do not reflect the rackets true capabilities.

I got a hold of the Arc8DX, and intially I was fairly optimistic, just holding it, it felt light and balanced, it felt fairly stiff as well, from manual flexing. I felt that it was possibly too light for me.

Then I moved on to hitting, the racket felt fairly solid, clears were reletively straight forward, and it was easy to drive with the racket, intially I was mistiming my shots, as it was quicker than the SW35. Then I moved on to smashes and drops, drops were simple, smashes were simple as well, however smashes lacked in power quite a bit, I think that even the NS9900 has a harder smash.

So to conclude, it will not be my next racket, it was down on power, and though it has a decent defence, it's not good enough to move me from my SW35, the SW35 defence is good enough for me. i felt the 8dx was too light.:)

For reference, the version I tried was 3U I presume G3. I also tried VT70 and AT900P both 4UG4. I have been trying to convince the UK distributor for YY to import 3U version of the AT and VT, will let you know how I get on :) my findings on the VT70 and AT900P will be posted in the relevant threads:)

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

21lbs! You might as well not have played with it :p ... Just to dispel the lightness myth: it weighs 93gr strung, same as an AT700 3U. Now my scale only does whole grams so could be one is 92.5 and the other 93.4 ...

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yeah, actually it was probably more like 19-20lbs, it wasn't very good tension as it was factory strung. It probably felt quite light as I was used to SW35. I found myself swinging way too early. It felt fast and a good doubles racket possibly. But it feels very balanced. But yes the tension was a joke, 28lbs sounds great, especially after today.:)

Talking of doubles, my NS9900 came out of the bag today for the first time in a couple of months. It feels quite similar in weight and balance to the Arc8DX.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Some good promo ;)

14. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Finally got my hand on Arcsaber 8DX, which bought from shuttle-house. Strung with BG66-Ultimax at 26lbs, and...holy god...monstrous smashes, deadly accurate placement, defence wise is on par with my nanospeed 9900, although 9900 has a little faster swing speed...definitely my main weapon for now...

15. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    Played with NS9KX, VT-70, Tetracross 700 and Arc 8DX for the past weeks, Arc 8DX turned out to be the best amongst those rackets.
    Agree with you 100 percent! I still carry a shoulder injury so i might only used 70% of my strenght....but holy this racket is so powerful! played with Arc10 too before n this racket is a class above Arc10 imho.....wonder why it isnt getting much attention.

Definitely my go-to racket now (very hard for other rackets to keep me away from it right now :p)

16. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Not getting much attention because it is not top of the range in the ArcSaber series like the 10 and Z Slash.
    But it is for sure the best IMO.

17. malafide

malafide New Member

Hi,

I'm an intermediate player who's currently using an (ancient) Armortec 500 and my dad wants to get me a new racket to encourage me.
    I'm considering upgrading to the 8DX. If I tell you that after playing for 2,5 -3 hours, I sometimes get a slight pain in my lower arm muscles, will this racket be just that smidge lighter in the head to get rid of that?
    I've got power, but I could do with more technique.
    Also, I'm doing ok with my current racket, especially control-wise at the net and with net-drops, would the 8DX affect this positively or negatively?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Mal

18. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    The Arc 8dx is a great all round racket and it'll affect your control positively; esp. around the net. However this racket is quite stiff compared to other yonex rackets, if you say you're getting pain you might be better off getting something a little more flexible like Arc 10 or the newer Voltric. Love the 8Dx =D

19. malafide

malafide New Member

They say that playing with a racket that's too stiff will give you pain in your wrist, but my wrist is fine, it's just the muscles in my forearm that get tired/overworked, so I figured it must have been the balance of the racket. I might have been wrong. I'll try to get my hands on all three and see which comes out on top, they're the same price anyway.

20. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    Hmmm kind of depends what sort of a player you are... some people are more wristy and some use the whole arm for their swinging action. But anyways I guess you've got the right idea, try before you buy. Good luck. =)