another RIP for a new AT700

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by supreme86, Mar 16, 2008.

1. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

undergraduate :)
    So I waited 7 days to draw money from my bank, made the payment on ebay, waited for 2 weeks for the shipment to come, got all excited for the new AT700 and even went and made DIY towel grip from towels from dollar store.

And so 3 days ago I used my AT700 to play with my friend, he went for my shot with a crappy racquet, my AT700 suffered a slight paint chip so I continued to play. I can't blame him because he's new to badminton. Since then my performance went down slightly but I blamed it on my DIY towel grip so I wasn't really concerned.

Today I played with it again, after 3 hits the racquet was COMPLETELY bent and deformed.... I felt so sad for it I had to cut the strings to relieve the tension so its shape could go back to normal. so the clash led to an internal fracture. my AT700 and $200 US :crying:.....

Moral : never use expensive racquets except for matches..

[​IMG]
    So I had to cut off the strings to relieve the tension..

[​IMG]
    paint chip? ...

[​IMG]
    :crying:.....

[​IMG]

internal fracture . certified death 5:21PM ............:crying:

Should I ask my friend for money back? I mean he obviously doesn't know how fragile these racquets are, he plays basketball only.. have you guys had similar experience?

#1 supreme86, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    What tension and U? That must have been one hell of a clash to make a paint chip that big... Sorry for the loss...

3. em160

em160 Regular Member

None
    I would still use an expensive racket during practice (because you need to get used to it for matches!), but I only practice with my partner (not a random person/someone who isn't very good) and play very conservatively if he is even close to me.

$200... I would be so pissed

4. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

23lbs with BG65Ti, 3U weight, CH coded.

it wasn't that big of a clash, but big enough to make paint chips.. and after several more hits it led to a internal fracture..:(

5. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

agreed. that's what I thought too. but since my friend dropped by I decided to play with him but whoever expected such accident ... and I obviously had that shot too, still kind of upset now. but I"ll be okay:(

6. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    sorry for your loss man. it's sad to see rackets break, especially rackets that are pretty new.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, that's a goner, sorry for your loss.
    next time, get a CD coded one, at least then you might have a chance to claim from yonex canada.

8. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Hmm what a coincidence, im holding my friends US coded AT700 that jsut broke today as well >.<

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

OUCH!!! I've also got a new 3U AT700, JP. I clashed mine on Saturday, not even during a game.. I was hitting the shuttle against the ceiling when suddenly, my friend ( I forgave him because he's a beginner ) came and tried to hit it.. then my racquet clashed with his.. got a major paintchip on the 12'O clock position of the frame.
    Now I know that I should never use an expensive racquet near a beginner.
    It hasnt broken though.. maybe because it's a JP :p
    But this is no joke.. I'm afraid that mine might break soon as well.

#9 jhirata, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  10. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

I've had some pretty ridiculous clashes done to my MP100 by beginners, like overhead smash thats right above my head and a girl somehow swings her steel racquet into mine. All other times was by people swinging their racquet into mine after i've hit the shuttle (i mean if i hit the shuttle before they swing into it, the shot almost had to have been mine right?) Anyway my MP100 now has like 15 chips to the paint all over the frame...quite surprised it hasn't broken yet, its strung at 27lbs.

What really sucks is beginners normally uses a very cheap or steel racquet and don't care what they swing into without knowing how expensive some of the other people's racquets are. I've had someone pick up my racquet and literally bang my frame against their steel frame to make a dinking sound, my promt reply was "you know thats a $300AUD instrument you're playing there". I guess the only way to really protect our own racquet is to play with similar level players in doubles or singles, and when you break your racquet from hitting the floor you'll know its the floor's fault for being there! :D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I dont have experience with AT700. But i did had an experience using a new ns9000x JP. Used it only once in a game... my partner was a C level so to speak. :(

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's always the case that the cheaper racquets always come away from a clash with barely a scratch but your $200 yonex is wrecked. i guess it's the technology yonex employ to make it light yet feel solid, something's gotta give.

13. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

wow what a coincidence, my friend broke my AT700 (old) a few days ago. it was a pretty bad mis-hit as the frame broke into 3 pieces. the only thing holding it together is the strings.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Lesson for me is not to use expensive rackets when playing with players much lower level than you. Or.. if still want to use.. just give way if your partner want to hit that shuttle. Its better to lose a point than to lose a racket.

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that calls for a picture!

16. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, but i hate the feeling of having to hold back in case my racquet gets smashed. sometimes there's just not enough time when the shuttle is returning at speed to you to decide:

1) where is it going?
    2) where are the opponents positioned?
    3) how should i take this?
    4) where's the best place to hit it so that we get an advantage for the next shot?
    5) whether i should hit it in case my racquet gets smashed.
    6) whether to try to hit is as cool-ly as possible to impress the new girl in the club? :cool:

17. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I know how it feels to be a beginner, I used to be REALLY crap last year around this time of the year. My reaction time, my positioning, etc was so bad. I would have tried to hit everything which went over the net. There are so many severe painchips on my MP40, it's embarassing to show it..

I remember once, my friend's newly strung racquet was on the floor.. so I just stood on it and said 'oops'. I dont know why I'd do such a stupid thing.. it can break somebody's heart :S.

Atleast it's good to know that I've improved alot since then..

18. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

[​IMG]

there you go :). you can't see from this picture, but the top of the frame is broken as well.
    [​IMG]

19. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

I try my best to give way to wild swings, but sometimes i can't stop my reflex taking a fast drive down the center :eek:.

20. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yikes, that's nasty.
    thanks for sharing though!