All England Open should be downgraded to SS immediately

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2014' started by cxytdn, Dec 23, 2013.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    AE managed to raise the prize money to SSP at a time when the European economy is going south and high unemployment, IMO, AE has no choice but to cough up the cash to stay relevant as a major Open tournament, not that the AE organizer wants to up the cost at this time.

When the economy was good previously, that means there is more disposable income to pay/enjoy AE. It still comes down to revenues versus expenses, and AE does not have the luxury of deep pocket sponsors that INA, CHN or MAS have to cover the red ink.

AE main revenues are gate receipts, TV broadcast, advertisements, rental stalls in the stadium, souvenir sales, sponsors, players registration fees which are really small potato and very limited. AE expenses are stadium rental, BWF hosting fees, staffing, operating cost (birdies, etc), players accomodation and transportation, prize money. Correct me if I err above. At best, AE is break even. Upping the prize money further would swing the pendulum towards the negative balance sheet, when no deep pocket Santa Claus willing to sponsor/foot the bill.

BWF set $500K minimum for SSP and use an internal selection process to award the 5 SSP locations that allows AE and DO to be in. With so much interest from nations wanting to host SSP, BWF could have set the minimum higher and still MAS, INA, KOR, CHN (alone can do >2 SSP if BWF permits), AUS and include JAP, HK and very soon IND would make a go for it. Then we would have the entire SSP in one continent, plus maybe Australia.

As Rudy said no SS or SSP makes money. SSF is guaranteed to splash bright red ink all over especially with the MIA CHN stars. Now, we have countries aided by private sponsors coughing up the $500K to $1M to get SSP. So if Open is run as a business, these businessmen are willing to fund a money losing enterprise…for a long time.

Europe would have a hard time catching up if the cash bar keeps going up. North and South America, Eastern Europe and Africa do not embrace pro baddy. BWF needs to maintain 1-2 SSP in Europe to ensure baddy stay relevant otherwise risks badminton to be seen as an Asian regional sport. Like I said earlier, maybe BWF wants and needs AE and DO to host SSP…if it is, then BWF has done it right this time, and it is not so often that BWF does the right thing. Perhaps, Rudy with his insider knowledge can offer his insight on this.

2. nahmed003472

nahmed003472 Regular Member

Remember in 2011 when KO offered USD1.2M prize money compared to AE USD350,000 that was the most money the sport had ever seen and at that time I considered KO biggest tournament even bigger than AE due to 3x more prize money. If I was playing on the tour, I personally would prefer the KO over AE. When it comes to professional sport its all about the $$$$.

3. nahmed003472

I remember Jill Clarke saying SSP offers more prize money and ranking points, if thats so yhen why does KO and OZ open offer more prize money than AE despite being only SS? Personally I think the SSP should offer the most prize money. I dont know what the rumors are about AE offering only USD400,000 but if it doesnt offer at least 5K then it should be demoted to SS and OZopen promoted in its place. As harsh it sounds, thats the stark reality, btw I live in birmingham an watch AE every year so im not being biased or anything.

4. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

hmm, i still recall this TS from another forum. in fact, a chinese forum in malaysia. This TS got only one thing in mind when posting there, that is to mock at LCW and malaysian badminton. TS btw, is a Chinese.

seriously if prize money is the only determinant in SSP criteria, maybe i should ask my father to donate 2m USD to make vietnam open an SSP event as well.

5. nahmed003472

The funny thing is I don't think bwf would give Vietnam open SSP status despite having the biggest prize fund. Just look at KO, offers more money than AE, MO and DO but is still only a SS event. Even the china international challenge offers more prize money (USD50.000) compared to all other IC events (USD15.000), it offer enough $$$ to be a GP event.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There must be other criteria for the SSP, not just the money.

For China's IC, I believe BWF rules might not allow a GPG and GP in the same country in the same year (needs to be confirmed). If the IC can obtain more sponsorship than the minimum prize money, then it's OK. There is no upper limit of prize money for a tournament :p

7. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

mistyped?

??.jpg

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nothing on the official website. I think we will have to wait and see

9. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    In that case india the place where this game first cane into existence should have been ssp.
    India definitely deserve to be a ssp. Whears I don't have any problem with AE but why INA is a ssp

10. sen

sen Regular Member

I am afraid of inviting more arguments by this post. INA won more team events than MAS. INA players won more WC than MAS. INA open offer much higher prize than MAS open.

And you have to mention why INA is a ssp but not why MAS is a ssp or why DEN is a ssp ?