Akane Yamaguchi ( 山口 茜 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by suetyan, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just as I thought or suspected, "only designed for the training period " (as sparring partners and to identify new talents in the process, if any, I suppose).

2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Yamaguchi, "the mountain" in badminton.

3. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Just wanted to make some noise on this thread! Yamaguchi, our 2022 Female Player of the Year has been killing it lately. Consistent wins against the top players. This tournament alone, straight games wins against CYF, ASY & TTY. Also as Steen mentioned today, perfect selection of tournaments to win this year: All England (oldest/most history), World Championships (on home soil!), Japan Open (home tournament), and WTF (biggest prize money). Hope she’s able to stay healthy & free from serious injuries & win in Paris in 2024!

Pcyl, kurako, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Add to this, the WTF !!
    Congrats

5. yuon

yuon Regular Member

She just needs one more title to perfectly close out 2022: the All Japan Championship coming up in 2 weeks!

6. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Here's Yamaguchi's interview upon landing back in Japan, as reported by Badminton Spirits. We get to hear her thoughts on her performance this year and areas that she thinks she still needs to work on. May she avoid injuries and continue to show us more exciting matches next year!

-This is your first win in 5 years, since 2017
    The result is as such, but in terms of play, I was able to play patiently and made good use of my chances whether I was attacking or defending. I am glad that I was able to wrap up the last international tournament of the year in a way that I could be satisfied with.

-Victories at the All England and Japan Open. Your thoughts looking back on this season?
    If we look at the overall result, I think it was a very fulfilling one year, but there were also times when I was not playing well. I feel that I still have my ups and downs so I want to be able to play at my best more consistently.

-The Olympics race will start next May
    Regarding the Paris Olympics, there are many things that I haven't decided yet so I'm not thinking too much about the race. I think it would be good if I could enjoy each match without over thinking it.

-The difference between this victory and your first Super Series Finals win?
    I think that last time, there was still a part of me that was approaching it from the viewpoint of a challenger. This year, I was able to produce many results and was in the position of being challenged, so I'm glad that I was able to still play while looking forward.

-Regarding being able to win big tournaments while being ranked #1
    I'm not good at dealing with situations where I'm being chased, but I think to be able to win in such situations has given me confidence.

-Before, it was either "boldly attack" or "fight patiently without making mistakes". Are you able balance the two well now?
    I think I have been able to play more patiently and without getting anxious and becoming predictable even when the scores are close more often now.

-Regarding the All Japan Championship at the end of the year
    This time, there was a part of me that was able to play well, but I feel that there is still a lot for me to work on regarding shots quality and adapting to the venue. Also, there are not many opportunities to play in front of a Japanese audience so I hope that I will be able to play well.

Pcyl and samkool like this.
  7. lurker

lurker Regular Member

8. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Any word on Yamaguchi’s injury? It’s been so hard getting any info on these Asian Games.

9. yuon

yuon Regular Member

No words on the seriousness of her injury, but she has been officially replaced by Nidaira for the the individual event. It doesn't look like a simple sprain from the video recording :(.

What a bad timing, right in the middle of the Olympics qualification. Fortunately, it's not right before the Olympics like what happened to Hirota, so hopefully she can recover in time and get back to form soon.

10. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

She should have dropped out of the Hong Kong Open.

LjS4 likes this.
  11. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

any update about her injury ?

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I can't find any concrete details, but Yamaguchi seems to have been nursing an injury on her right leg since just after the Japan Open; hence, it is a fairly long-standing injury. Head coach Park has stated that 'there is nothing wrong with her bone', if that is any consolation. (o_O)

Pcyl and LjS4 like this.
  13. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Yamaguchi just released a statement on her injury, saying she’ll be out of competition for a while.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Apparently, the cause is an injury to her right fibularis longus (one of the calf muscles). She will not be participating in either the Denmark or French Open.

#254 kurako, Oct 11, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
  15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    All top 3 women singles players are injured. Too much badminton.

raven1121 likes this.
  16. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Is it true Akane has withdrawn from the World Tour Finals?? Saw a post on Twitter but couldn’t find an official statement.

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, a couple of newspaper articles are covering the subject. Yamaguchi has also withdrawn from the All Japan Championships, scheduled to take place at the end of the month. The culprit is a peroneal tendon injury.

According to the articles, Yamaguchi has starting training for the Malaysia Open, so we can expect to see her in January.

Pcyl likes this.
  18. yuon

yuon Regular Member

This opens the door for Miyazaki to be the 3rd high school student to win the AJC. Okuhara is looking like she's on the come-back trail though, so she could stand in the way.

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep. Okuhara looks to be aiming for Paris.

Given that she suffered a defeat at the hands of Miyazaki at the BNI Indonesia Masters, she will probably want a taste of revenge at the AJC.

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Hopefully this AE injury is not too serious. If she is fully fit, she will be the contender with ASY. In terms of fitness. She is a little chubby for now. Hope she can reduce her weight a bit. Could be the weight causing the injury.