Adding overgrip: Armortec head heavy characteristics changed

Discussion in 'Grip' started by armortec user, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The most obvious answer is to do the weighing yourself.

2. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    i took the leather grip off my 90vfs and put on the yonex overgrap to preserver the balance so does not become that much head light. after about 2 hours of play my hands were all soar cuz teh handle was too hard because there was wood just underneath the overgrap. now i have to put another layer of grip that would be the same thing as putting a overgrap on top of the leather grip.

3. TI-SP-SS dude

TI-SP-SS dude Regular Member

actually, i think taking off the grip causes it to become head heavy not light. Since it is taking weight off the handle, and also making it smaller at the same time.

4. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

It is not the weight of the overgrip that affect the balance. It is the size that does the major part. Stick a coin under the handle and see if it has the same effect of a fatter grip.

5. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg
    Sorry that I have to say that, but making an headheavy racket an headlight one by adding more weight to the grip/handle is physically NONSENSE, because you actually don't change the mass you're moving. While doing a swing the racket is rotating with the handle as fix-point, so the relevant mass is the one above the handle. The reason why most people think, that their racket become more headlight by adding an overgrip, is the change of the leverage effect, when the grip gets thicker. So you will theoretically gain more power, but practically a lot of people tend to hold the grip too tight, so that they'll actually lose power and feel because they don't swing relaxed.

6. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    i was comparing the fulcurum at which my ti-10 balances. with the factory leathe gip, the racquet would balance in the upper part of the racquet. after adding an overgrip, the fulcrum down towards the middle of the racquet. just to compare this with a balance racquet, i compared the balance point of my 90vf which was in the lower part of the racquet with one layer of overgrip. so if head heavy racquets do have a balanced fulcrum in the upper part of the shaft, then adding overgrip does affect the balance of the racquet.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    To me, the main purpose of replacing / adding grips, is to gain more comfortable feeling, rather than changing weight / balance point.

It's true, with the little tiny 3gram or so, the balance point of a racket will be shifted more or less toward the handle. However, u have to judge wether this will still suitable for ur playing style, or not. All the answer is from urself, rather than from others.

If the change is not very sig. or u actually like the balance pt more toward the handle, I guess it's an ok adjustment for ur equipment. However, if the change is way to obvious, and u really don't feel comfortable, then, consider alternate ways about grip (using differetn brand grip, taking away original grip and only use overgrip, etc).

There's nothing in the world, can be accomplished, without effect other related issues. It's more like ur own judgement about whether this "trade off" is worth the effort or not.

8. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

Does wearing a ring makes the racket lighter? Probably not. Besides, adding weight to the handle should not affect the balance unless people hold their rackets on the shafts.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    adding weight anywhere on the racquet will affect its balance. It come down to how do u like the racquet to feel before, at and after contact with the shuttle.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Of course adding weight going to affect the balance pt in order to change the momentum while swing.

Like in baseball, players might use "corked bat" to add power. Of course, all the cork were not anywhere near the bat handle (most around the head), but working well for the "cheating" batters.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    corked bats have not been proven scientically to make the baseball go faster or farther. It is a myth IMO. Cork is a dampener material, it dampen noise, shock and any mechancial vibration, why would a dampener enhance energy transfer? Therefore, people in the baseball circle have the wrong belief of corked bats.

12. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Corked bats in this regard have a cork in the hollow inside that, due to centrifugal force, moves to the end of the bat when it is swung, giving it more power. Sounds like a new idea for Yonex eh? :)

BTW, for those who are pulling their hair out over grips changing the balance, just find a grip size you are comfortable with, and clear for 10 minutes and you'll be used to it. With proper technique, one should be able to clear with any racquet (within reason).

Personally, with a Yonex G4 grip size, I remove the original grip and put one layer of overgrip on the wood, double-layered. Double-layered as in I put the grip on once, but I overlap half of the previous layer while wrapping it, which in effect makes it two layers. So far, all grips I have tried are long enough to do this. I used to use Karakal PU grips, but I found they are too cushiony, so I don't get enough feel on the racquet. With only two thin layers between my hand and the wood handle, it feels much better, and I can manipulate the racquet easier with my fingers.

Phil