50 string jobs later.... what have I learned?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    @kwun

I've started toying around with doing a double pull on the first crosses. People use it to avoid pulling a knot through right? Well because the strings are so short and high up on the frame, I figure why not try double pulling it. It saves you messing around with a flying clamp and whatnot because you end up at the same side as the previous main was on. It doesn't seem to impact the quality.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I do that too. the end strings don't really matter and as they are shorter a slightly lower tension is probably more appropriate. just call it a type of proportional tensioning.

3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah, it just seems to be easier. I mean this way you never have to fight with shared holes or anything, and without the clamping complication, the only awkward part is weaving up to the end of the crosses (because you have that big gap in the middle). Other than that, there's nothing to fight with. Very clean method if you ask me.

4. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    Illustration or pics? Im a more visual person when I have no idea what you guys are talking about.....lol

5. Desmond C

Desmond C Regular Member

What they mean is that they pull the second cross string instead of directly pulling the first cross, as the first cross is close to the tie off knot, you would be essentially directly tensioning against the knot which has the possibility of pulling it through the hole.

6. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

This is a good idea, and I'm sure you don't really need full tension at the first cross on B9 anyhow! I'm gonna try this on my next job, that way I don't have to do a triple knot, I can just use a stand Parnell or whatever.

7. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    I do both depending on the string....but Ive never pulled my knot through the hole..??? I triple knot that first cross.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    2 cases.

people who have pulled through their knot without double pulling means that their starting knot is not up to par with the tension they dialed. it has nothing to do with the machine's strength (coz any decent machine can do badminton tension...).

for those who doesn't want to change their end knot, you can double pull to avoid that.

for those who are able to pull directly on the starting string without pulling through the knot, that means their starting knot is very secure. good job! :)

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    So, I have a question for people in here that use 2 pc.

If you double pull, which string do you clamp? Sometimes when my knot doesn't look beefy enough, I double pull the string, make sure it's tort, and then clamp the string the knot is attached to rather than the one I'm pulling. I then give that second string a second pull to avoid losing tension in 2 places.