40,000 at WC

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by USAer, Aug 26, 2005.

1. USAer

USAer Regular Member

Heard 40,000 as attendance number for entire week of WC. Don't have any breakdown on this number.

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    What is the total ticket income? Assume $20 per ticket. 40K x 20 = 800K. Every team paid for their own expenses. So the only expense from the organizer are the rent (how about 200K for 1 week?) and workers' pay (but assume most of them are volumtary workers) (how about 100K). Sounds like they can make hundred of thousand dollars in just 1 week's work - sound like a good business. :) If the organizer can make money, hopefully they will do it over and over again. Maybe someone in the bay area will be interested. :)

#2 Qidong, Aug 26, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Plus parking !!!! $10 per car each day, and $20 each car Sat&Sun.

4. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Parking probably goes to the POND, but I could be wrong. Btw, did IBF have to pay any of the prize money ?

5. nkiattin

nkiattin Regular Member

LAN Admin
    I hope they make money and put on for tournaments.

6. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any prize money for the WC.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

No prize money for World Championship and Olympic events..just medals..
    Hmm, the numbers look pretty close. But from what i heard, the organizers(to a certain extent IBF and USAB and SCBA) didn't get much probably almost none, the Pond probably didn't make much either. So whatever they got from ticket sales, they probably used that for the rental cost of the venue. Plus they have to pay all the concession and food vendors, custodians, extra security crews, elevator staffs, misc. staff and Police dept. for security. Plus rental buses(3) for picking up and taking players from venues&facilities for about 10-11 days, average about 14-16 hrs daily. Oh and the extra dancers on Finals day, cheerleader/All-Star girls for 2 days...And who knows what other items.. :rolleyes:

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also don't forget the various sponsors. a sizeable amount of money will be coming from Yonex, etc, sponsors and advertisers.

9. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    From what I saw there, I got to say some people in charge there don't really know how to do a business there, especially for badminton. I am not talking about IBF, but a general phenomena.

First, for so many fans gathering there, and so many players displaying their equipments live everyday, clothes, shoes, racquets, strings, etc. Why don't yonex US make a list of equipments every player is using in yonex booth? I bet a lot of fans will be crazy buying raquets from Lin Dan, clothes from Peter Gade, etc. But all they do is just try to sell their newest stuff, and put their catelogue on the desk. Besides, they don't even have any clothes to sell, only IBF limited ones. But who cares that, I want something wore by Taufik :p

Second, the whole OCBC is closed for a week due to the world championship. But don't they know they will make a huge fortune if they open it? I believe a lot of people will die for playing badminton after watching so many wonderful games, at least I do. Besides, a lot of people will be curious where Tony and Howard are training. Is it a great opportunity to promote badminton in orange county?

Third, with so many badminton fans of United States there, if IBF really want to promote badminton here, why don't they even have a booth to sell badminton stuff such as DVD, books, and IBF tournaments information? All I saw is 2006 and 2007 worldchampionship booklet.

I am sure they tried, the cheerleader stuff is not a bad idea, but I think they need to think harder.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yup, they miss the opportunity to promote ibf, players and countries while making $$$ at it. I bet lotta people there want a piece of wears from their favorite players and/or countries. Look at hockey, they r making a killing sell these.

http://www.icejerseys.com/calgary_flames.php

11. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

Second, the whole OCBC is closed for a week due to the world championship. But don't they know they will make a huge fortune if they open it? I believe a lot of people will die for playing badminton after watching so many wonderful games, at least I do. Besides, a lot of people will be curious where Tony and Howard are training. Is it a great opportunity to promote badminton in orange county?

i think the ocbc is closed for public ...coz ocbc closed for the whole week while all the player were using the court for training......and they didn't wanna be bothered...