2023 Princess Sirivannavari Thailand Masters

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by BadSmashPdx, Jan 29, 2023.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I stopped watching in the middle of 2nd game thinking he will lose but he proved otherwise.

Should have continued to watch the entire game.

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Ng Ka Long in good form since Indonesia Master...

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, Lin Chun-Yi is playing like the young and raw Lin Dan, fast and furious, fearless, aggressive, attacking badminton all the way - what a surprise package. Just found out he's born 10/2/1999, 22 years old now.

So far, It's Weng Hongyang who put up the best fight against him, went down in a hard-fought three-setter, 21-15, 18-21, and 19-21.

OTOH, Shi Yuqi again, what a letdown. At age 26, he can be considered mature and experienced enough, once world ranked 2,I'd expect him to be able to test and probe his unknown opponent in their very first meeting in G1 and then make the necessary adjustment, step it up in G2 to turn the match around.

Well, he did albeit a bit too late in the second half of G2, managed to level the score 19-all in the crucial stage, and then, unwisely,attempted a gamble with a flick serve that failed as it was duly punished by the fast-moving and agile upstart who swiftly hammered down an outright winner, after which LCY finally put an end to SYQ's misery with a serve-and-return shot lucky net cord; there's nothing SYQ could do about it but to concede defeat.

Let's see whether Lin CY can go on to create a sort of fairytale ending tomorrow when he takes on Angus Ng who himself had a close shave with Li Shifeng today.

Talking of Li Shifeng, I wonder when he will learn to cut down on his unforced errors, be more patient and stay focused, otherwise, his on and off form, that is, inconsistency throughout a match, will continue to be a stumbling block to his advancement.

4. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

SYQ shouldn’t have had any problem winning the title here being a super 300 and the absence of most top players. The fact that he lost to the unknown taiwanese is very concerning. How is he going to do well in the All England later when all the top players are back? Im not sure what is wrong. Was it juz an off day?

5. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

anyone who says that arcsaber 11 pro (most likely 3u) lacks power should watch how Lin Chun-Yi plays, amazing speed and power, but unlike other attack players he has really good control as well, very very exciting to watch his matches, hope he can continue like this and improve, it seemed that his shuttle speed was even higher than Axelsen's but may be conditions in Thailand are quite fast

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Shi YQ was supposed to be one of the faves here amid the absence of top names but he couldn't capitalise golden prospect to exert capability and determination, playing without zest, struggling to read Lin CY pattern and insufficient stamina to tackle and balance his younger opponent ferocious attack and speed. Taking part four tournaments in a row where he ousted early in first two trip and being semifinalist in rest of tours, Shi ranking climbing slowly to approach world top ten. Another China hopeful found finish line in last four, Li SF was unable to control the drift and handle situation in decidng game to more experienced defending champion Ng KL.

All-Chinese-finals in WS, rematch of Hylo Open last year, none of all contestants in this tournament could beat them, Han Yue is more favoured one to nail WS crown, she demonstrates impressive development recently and translated in last two rounds to outplay opponent with various deceptive shots and steady game. A scary escape for Zhang YM to outlast local player Katethong, fierce internal competition pervades China players with five singles in top-20 (at the moment) and Paris 2024 Race is looming.

Carnando/Marthin aim to clinch back to back title, it'll be tricky final test to meet the unheralded Su CH/Ye HW who stunned reigning All England champions Fikri/Maulana yesterday. Senior-junior combination produces promising result seemingly for Korea WD camp as they did previously, Lee SH/Baek HN get home dangerous duo, Aimsaard sisters. Meanwhile Feng/Huang continue progressive run and indicate signal that this partnerships might be permanent pair further as China has registered them in the upcoming All England. The Chinese will up against Seo/Chae whose ranking slid significantly to #14 due to lack of tournament participation.

upload_2023-2-5_9-39-23.png

Khamenman and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  7. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    It is not nice to see young players already using bandages, when watching XD final. I have only bad experiences with knee and elbow in badminton. If you make a good support you just can't play. I ended up throwing the bandages away, and decided just not to stress my joints too much.

8. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

ouch Seo/Cheo just self-destruct in game 3

9. It'sMeMeMe

oh after i wrote that they woke up lol

10. It'sMeMeMe

oh now sleep again

11. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

really amazing to watch -
    Lin Chun-Yi - one smash - job done :)

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Back to back titles for the Babies Leo Rolly Carnando/Daniel Marthin, after a straight-set 21-16, 21-17 victory over Su Ching-Heng/Ye Hong-Wei.
    So, overall 3 World Tour titles (2 Super 500 and 1 Super 300) for the Babies and they should be WR10 next Tuesday. I predict they will go to Paris 2024 if the results in early 2023 continue for the rest of the year.

Overall, INA's MD win 3 out of the 4 titles in 2023 so far.
    Fajar Alfian/Mohd Rian Ardianto (Petronas Malaysia Open 2023 - Super 1000)
    Leo Rolly Carnando/Daniel Marthin (Daihatsu Indonesia Masters 2023 - Super 500; Princess Sirivannavari Thailand Masters 2023 - Super 300)

13. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Back to back title for the Babies,
    Daniel "the machine gun" Marthin strikes again, bang....bang....bang..

14. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

Aimsaard sisters are so ferfreshing in WD, no lifts what so ever - pure attack as well, and koreans gets humiliated...

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The giant-killer Lin CY continues to slay more favoured opponent to clinch second S300 title of his career. Lin didn't provide chance for defending champion to steer his game, only the beginning of the match, 12-7 then slipped the plot as Ng KL got trouble to stem Taiwanese sudden deadly smash that disrupt consistent rallies.

An upset in WS, 26 years old Zhang YM shows true color to exploit her capability and fully confidence against compatriot Han Yue who was out of her element in last two games as Zhang installed attacking mode to raise pressure and dictate the match. A maiden S300 victory for Zhang, quite late bloomer for China WS player standard.

All out attack has brought the home duo pick WD crown, Lee/Baek were overwhelmed and awry to face the relentless and powerful smashes persistently. The Babies bag title in two consecutive weeks, the animated Su CH was too dominant to back up the less experienced Ye HW. China has found new potential second XD pair through Feng/Huang, Seo SJ ran out of steam and became error proned in final game.

BWF World Tour will resume early next month (7-12 March) with heavyweight line-up at stake in Mulheim an der Ruhr : https://extranet.bwfbadminton.com/d...rt Version 1 Friday, _03rd February 2023_.pdf

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just as I expected , Lin Chun-Yi bested Angus Ng for the MS title but not fully in the manner I'd associate with the wannabe " Young Lin Dan".

Still, not too bad though I must admit it's still too early to say if he can follow in the footsteps of Lin Dan, for that we'd have to await his next couple of tournaments to give us a clearer picture of his future prospects. That's also because I felt that Angus Ng somehow didn't play as well as he did yesterday against Li Shifeng (whom, apart from G2 where he appeared clueless, inexplicably, after he had exerted himself to barely grab G1 coming from behind, and then behaved in G2 as if he needed to take a short break to regather and regroup himself, which in a way he did to a certain extent in G3 but fell somewhat short mainly owing to his lack of consistency).

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A bit surprise that Zhang Yiman prevailed against Han Yue as the latter was commanding in the manner she disposed of Hsu Wen Chi yesterday, while ZYM escaped by the skin of her teeth in a close three-set affair with Supanida Katethong the day before.

Anyway, I'm glad for ZYM as she really needed that victory more than her fellow 3-year younger junior, Han Yue, as she is already 26 years old now and had to show some credible results if she is not to be relegated to the national second team or, worse, to the provincial team where she came from.

So, congratulations to Zhang Yiman. May she grow from strength to strength.

Simeon likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This is the second time I watched the Thai WD Aimsaard sisters play in a tournament and they seem to have elevated their game here,overcoming all opposition in two-straight games throughout the tournament, even thrashing the formidable KOR pair,Bek Ha Na/Lee So Hee,in the final, 21-6, 21-11, to lift the trophy.

The two sisters , Benyapa, age 20, and Nuntakarn, age 23, were awesome in their all-out , free-flowing attacking game they unleashed on all their opponents that I am sure they have elevated their game another level from what I've seen them play before. The way they took care of the newly-formed CHN WD pair of Tan Ning/Xia Yuting yesterday, was equally superb.

I'm pretty sure they will break into well within the Top 10 world ranking soon, I believe it would be much sooner than expected.

#38 Justin L, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Simeon and visor like this.
  19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I mention this tpe lin resembles lindan long ago. Up to him if he can maintain consistency.

Ng kl is not a pushover. Lzj lost to him. Lzj also no luck playing vs good players in mo n im.

Lsf reminds me of chen hong. Need to cut down on wild shots. ;)

#39 extremenanopowe, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  20. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

After thai masters results, looks like both SYQ and Ng KL are back in the top 15 rankings. Its kinda surprising as SYQ did not perform too well this year but he’s almost back in the top 10 already. As for Ng KL, he performed pretty decently the last few tournaments although he was definitely capable in winning both.