2023 All England Open Badminton Championships

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by indrg, Feb 27, 2023.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Exactly. Tainted reputation.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Exactly. Not easy unless he has joined acting class.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Agree on this.

4. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Absolutely!! And I agree with a lot of it, but not all.
    My "overthinking" was my attempt to convey properly that I don't really lean to any of the proposed interpretations of what happened. I simply don't know what to believe.
    A few comments though to your five points though:

1:
    - "..accomplished their national goals all by playing by the prevailing rules of BWF during his time. So, what's there to fault him?"
    Yes but.. is it in the spirit of the game? Not the Olympic spirit for sure.
    - "If there's any unhappiness among the Chinese players concerned, that's their internal matter for them to resolve by themselves."
    You are touching something else here. Yes, you can argue it is for themselves to resolve. However, the current BWF rules give national association so much power that the player, in this case SQY, would be the "loser" if he does not agree to China's "resolution". They can just ban him.

2:
    - "why should it matter who between the two emerges champion given the current state of CHN MS".
    Exactly my point. It doesn't. So why waste energy on it when you have important tournaments in the following weeks? (This ties into point 3)

3:
    - "So why is there any compelling reason or need to save their energy for next week's tourney and the one or two after - The SO S300, followed by the SM S300 and the OM S300, for which you've correctly said are not included in the approaching Paris Olympic qualification cycle?"
    Because seeding during the qualification period matters. SYQ wants the best possible seeding at the Olympics, which means that he has to perform well (earn ranking points) in the qualification period. And that is just much easier if you are already high in the rankings so you get seeded.

4:
    Maybe. I probably would. But following points 1-3, I cannot be sure SYQ would.

5:
    I don't see how this relates to the rest. But I agree with you I (as SYQ) would rather play LSF, but I disagree that the extra amount of rest does not matter in general. Just because it didn't make a difference in this case, it does not mean it never does.

5. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I guess unless we personally know SYQ, we will never know for sure. Personally i hoped he just got upset and lost his way after losing the first game. If so, at least the coaches know his weakness now and they can figure a way to help him not collapse mentally when things go wrong.

All those stuff bout it doesn’t matter who wins etc kinda take the spirit out of the game that one should always try their best in my opinion.

Idk if there is much point in terms of world ranking if he loses the AE and does well in swiss vs winning AE and messing up in Swiss, so im not gonna really comment on that.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    He obviously didn't. Coz whatever he did was not convincing one way nor the other!

nokh88 likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd advise you to be honest with yourself before you get on your moral high horse.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I can see lsf will be the top china player about 1 year back. It was obvious that his smashing shots were pretty wild then but the style is very similar to good old Chen Hong (not Chen Long). He will also be a wild guy like Chen Hong. Spitting image. Similar hair style as well. For sure he will win some big tournaments.

Like Lindan to SYQ, Its time for SYQ to pass it to LSF. ;)

Justin L likes this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid you didn't really get my points
    Well, it seems to me you're mostly arguing for the sake of argument except for point 1 where both of us are guilty of digressing, first you, then me, what Olympic spirit, next, who knows, it'll be human rights, national sovereignty, patriotism/nationalism, and whatnot; nope, enough is enough.

As for the rest, it appears that you've not directly addressed my points or chose to do so selectively whereas the part you deliberately ignored, when taken as a whole, could serve as my rebuttals. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, my arguments still stand.

In that case, I've nothing to add but to leave it to interested and discerning readers to make what they wish of our conversation, if they cared to. Cheers.

10. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Then I could say the same. But.. Just because I don't agree with your points and choose to counter-argue, it doesn't mean that didn't get them.

We are on forums meant for discussion; we are discussing, and that is typically boring if you agree on everything. We are discussing because we disagree. That's the whole point.

I directly addressed that which I wanted to comment on, and only the most important parts. I ignored parts I agreed with. If you think I left something out that could serve as your rebuttal, maybe it was not clear enough.

Like I said, we discuss because we disagree. We still disagree and we don't have to continue such a conversation when it is clear we won't agree. That's fine. But spare me the insinuations that I am taking your quotes out of context, and don't understand your points. You changed the discussion to be about the discussion itself rather than the topic, which was the AE MS final.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Did I engage with you? Never had since 2012. And you made a personal attack which is not the first time but I always forgive you and will always do.
    Live and let live.

CHN team's reputation is tainted. It's written in badminton journals no matter how you think otherwise. One day you will accept, I hope. No need long written posts.

Here's my general advice.
    You are such an easy target when CHN team is involved. Anyone could hit it even blindfolded. Hope you realised it or a wasted talent.

PS : Please do not reply to my post as I never wanted to get involved with you.... until and unless you have found the same path, hopefully by 2033, alert me if sooner.

Oh..another personal advice, please sleep early for better health. Looking forward to seeing you in 2033.

Goodbye, Peace comes within. Do not seek it without - Buddha

#751 nokh88, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

True such as what happened to AhsanHendra, i'm sure the CHN team will have thought, why didnt he get injured when he was MatchPoint up against me' or at the last points, Why didnt he get injured just 1 round earlier. Remember how WangLiang beat AhsanHendra their last meeting.. Too bad, maybe next time.

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Justin L, Hassefar60 and Cheung like this.
  14. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Tunjung is now number 10. Please note also, that we saw her fighting many tournaments lately, but with top women absent. More speed and she might stay among the top ten.