2016 TOTAL BWF Thomas-Uber Cup Finals - Day 5 (19th May) : QUARTERFINALS

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 18, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]

Venue
    : Kunshan Sports Center Stadium, Kunshan-Jiangsu Province, CHN

Category : BWF Events (non prize money)

BWF page : http://bwfbadminton.com/events/2594/total-bwf-thomas-uber-cup-finals-2016/

Tournament website : http://en.ks2016.com/

Live Streaming :
    - http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=c2J2b2JoK2F0Y3ZsbmhZ&c=en&i=eWlhaXVidGd1bA№f№f
    - http://www.zoptv.com/live/cctv-5
    - http://www.zoptv.com/live/cctv-5-plus

CHN time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=16739&forma=Find Time

THOMAS Cup
    It looked straight-forward fashion for title contender Denmark to bag 3-0 lead after Viktor Axelsen also Conrad/Kolding as well made good start to beat Chou Tien Chen and Lee Sheng Mu/Tsai Chia Hsin respectively but Hsu Jen Hao denied the script for second seed to score clean-sheet as he surprised more-favoured Jan O Jorgensen in thrilling match that ended 21-19 at deciding game. However, two Mathias, Boe/Christiansen delivered Danish team to top group D in tough contest against TPE second doubles Chen Hung Ling/Wang Chi Lin. At last match, Taiwanese future star Wang Tzu Wei fought hard in three games to stun world #13 Hans Kristian Vittinghus, 25-23 was the final scoreline.

China took revenge over Japan who toppled the badminton giant two years ago, this time Chen Long and co.create white wash. Chen looked nervous against Sasaki as he dropped first game before found his rhythm back in next two games. Fu HF/Zhang N scored second point for China after gruelling and tight battle to overcome Endo/Hayakawa. Two-time Olympic Champion secured group A winner for China, outplayed Takuma Ueda, 21-18 / 21-8.

In do-or-die mission, Hong Kong men’s team succeeded to secure group B runner-up after knocked out Thailand, 4-1. The new combination Isriyanate/Puangpuapech delivered sole point for team THA after HKG led 3-0 earlier through Angus Ng Ka Long, Or CC/Tang CM and Hu Yun.

The so called Taufik Hidayat’s successor, Jonatan Christie got honour to lead Red-White team against team India. He passed the test convincingly to outplay Ajay Jayaram in straight-sets, 21-14 / 21-12. Then all four remaining matches went on to Indonesia favour despite Sai praneeth and Sourab Varma forced Ginting and Mustofa to fight hard in three games.

French squad as expected won over badminton minnow Mexico, 5-0 but it’s not an easy battle particularly for first singles Thomas Rouxel who played brilliantly against Sho Sasaki on opening day, he’s forced to play rubber games by Lino Munoz, also third singles Luis Ramon Garrido gave stiff resistance to Lucas Corvee.

UBER Cup
    The afternoon session witnessed two interesting clashes, one of strong favourite JPN v IND and 2010 champion KOR v TPE who hunted top position of their respective group.

Saina Nehwal presented opening point for India after eliminated recent All England Champion, 21-18 and surprising 21-6. The error-proned Okuhara looked so frustrated when everything went wrong of her shots in second game. World number 10, P.V. Sindhu unleashed panic attack to Japan as she disposed former world junior champion, Akane Yamaguchi. Trailed behind 0-2, the reliable top-ranked Matsutomo/Takahashi made quick rebound to reduce the deficit, 1-2. Then Sayaka Sato and Matsuo/Naito assured Japan as group D winner. It's like dejavu for India team who also lost in similar fashion in 2014 semifinal to Japan.

Tai Tzu Ying overpowered Sung Ji Hyun to lead Taiwanese women’s team 1-0 leading. But it's no big trouble for KOR to win 4-1 at the end of this tie.

Carolina Marin and Beatriz Corrales brought Spanish team 2-0 ahead who overcame Malaysian young talent, Goh Jin Wei and Ho Yen Mei respectively. Then Sonia Cheah triumphant became the turning point for team MAS to grab third position of group A. USA only spent less than two hours to avoid group B bottom position, outclassed Mauritius 5-0.

THOMAS CUP KNOCK-OUT DRAW => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...d=98FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D&draw=5
    [​IMG]

UBER Cup KNOCK-OUT DRAW => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...=98FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D&draw=10
    [​IMG]

nilesh123, nokh88 and blabl like this.
  2. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Thanks Clely.

I saw a lot of complaints regarding the scheduling on the facebook BWF and I agree with some of them... Japan vs Danemark Thomas cup should really have been on TV imo. A lot of indonesians were complaining that they didn't have a single match on TV as well :/ China has literally been Court 1 every single day in both tournaments..

soulpx, nokh88 and blabl like this.
  3. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

unless BWF follow the FIFA way, which sees World Cup & Euro Cup held for more than 10 days, which the knock out stages will have 2-4 matches in each days, each 2 session in evening and night...

kelana likes this.
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

QUARTERFINAL ORDER OF PLAY => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=98FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D

First session [01.00pm, 4 court] :
    Thomas Cup
    - MAS v TPE (court 2) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...98FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D&match=70

- INA v HKG (court 3) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...98FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D&match=69

Uber Cup
    - THA v IND (court 1) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...8FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D&match=148

- KOR v INA (court 4) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...8FF39E5-3CE5-4D78-A9E6-4199026B3C5D&match=149

Being the winner of group C and tumbled more-fancied team KOR certainly will boost MAS squad confidence to go further in this event. Lee Chong Wei is expected to open 1-0 lead to dispose Chou Tien Chen but it's tough to predict the four remaining ties. INA once again will up against Hong Kong men's team after group stage match and bright prospect for thirteen-time winner to progress into semifinal.

Thailand Uber team has slight advantage to grab last four ticket but India who performed impressive to trouble favourite Japann yesterday absolutely will go all out to repeat their achievement two years ago in New Delhi. First tie, Intanon v Nehwal becomes crucial to determine their respective team journey here. Indonesia is drawn with Korea, on paper scenario it's hard task to beat 2010 champion considering team balance.

Second session [07.00pm, 4 court] :
    Thomas Cup
    - CHN v KOR
    - DEN v JPN

Uber Cup
    - CHN v TPE
    - JPN v DEN

China found tough rival in last eight, none but the dangerous Korea, a rematch of 2010 Thomas Cup quarterfinal. Chen Long v Son Wan Ho will be the key factor for both teams to decide their destiny here. 2014 Incheon Asian Games defeat still haunted host China, as usual Korea will rely their hope through their superior men's doubles while Lin Dan is China trump card to deliver certain point. This mouth watering quarterfinal clash high possibly will be stretched into last match.

Title-holder Japan will be challenged by Danish team, Japan still has chance to fulfill their semifinal target considering Danish men's team only won over TPE narrowly, 3-2 at group stage. Endo/Hayakawa also Kamura/Sonoda as well will be Japan hopeful to contribute point, third singles could go either way. Axelsen and Jorgensen are favoured to down Sasaki and Ueda respectively.

Team TPE should be no serious threat for defending champion China, 3-0 for the host. Japan Uber team got early shock 0-2 against India in group stage clash but Denmark isn't major stumbling block for 2014 runner-up to progress into next stage. Only Pedersen/Juhl are predicted could push team Japan to work extra effort.

#4 CLELY, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    kwun, pjswift, nokh88 and 1 other person like this.
  5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Agree, JPN v DEN should be a cracker as the outcome will be unpredictable.

blabl and Maurice MJC like this.
  6. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Yes that the one I'm looking forward too! :) I would have give to Denmark without further consideration initially but seeing the good performance Japan gave against China -although they lost- I'm thinking it's gonna be a real tighter affair in every encounter except MS1

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Indeed, Den-Jpn is the difficult one to predict! Mainly because Den WD is unstable. It is like Cai Yun said, with Den you never know

8. Harish Reddy M

Harish Reddy M Regular Member

Student
  9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Both MAS and KOR have a day s rest . How can they not win?

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Sadly INA are on court #3 and #4 respectively. They have to face CHN to get placed on Court #1, I guess. At the very least INA should be placed on Court #2. No streaming for INA today :(

#11 indrg, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

they no need have practice sessions during rest day...?

13. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    Yeah this is frustrating. No INA match since day 1 on my paid tv channel. I was waiting for INA vs Thailand TC but the showed CHN vs Spain. INA seriously need to face CHN to be on my tv I guess.

14. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

It's quite normal that local players are on Court 1. All SS and GP do the same thing. I remember that last year during French Open they put LCW on a court without camera and LD on Court 2 with camera but no broadcasting,while a local pair were playing on Court 1.
    Normally local players will play on Court 1 with camera and broadcasting and when all local players are knocked out high ranking players or popular players will play on Court 1. In European countries when local players are out they prefer to put other European players on Court 1. If I remember it right last year during French Open LYD/YYS played on Court 2 and HK Vittinghus played on Court 1.
    As China host Thomas and Uber Cup this year and it seems their teams won't be kicked out too soon so we will watch more matches of them...

kelana likes this.
  15. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

Yeah I can only watch INA matches on youtube after knowing the results and I'm not happy at all. And I'm not Indonesian. You must feel much much much worse...

16. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I have been wondering about BWF match streaming in general.

I just read Kompas online and the Qtr final will be broadcasted on Kompas TV. I am confused. If they are in court #3 and 4 even Kompas TV won't be able to broadcast INA matches right? Kompas TV is likely to also broadcast court #1.

Anybody in Jakarta can comment? Siapa saja tolong kasih komen.

Thank you

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    No it's not that obvious in the Team championships! Placing CHN's match against SPN (UC) and against France (TC) on the TV wasn't a good idea (lopsided). I'd I remember correctly last time IND didn't scheduled their matches (both UC and TC) on the TV court (lopsided ones). Isn't it obvious that they should atleast provide one chance to teams like INA(multi medalist) to play on the TV court

Maurice MJC likes this.
  18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

KOMPAS TV will broadcast LIVE Thomas Cup match, CHN v KOR this evening (source : PBSI official twitter).

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Afternoon predictions

Uber Cup THA v IND
    I can see THA getting the win from WD1, WD2 and WS3. WD1 could conceivably go IND's way, so THA needs to secure WS1. Verdict: THA to win 3-1 or 3-2

Thomas Cup MAS v TPE
    Other than MS1, the others are pretty close. Verdict: MAS to win 3-0 or 3-1 (If it goes to rubber, TPE to win 3-2)

Thomas Cup INA v HKG
    HKG must be banking on winning all MS, as the gap in MD is too wide. And therefore it is a pretty daunting task. Verdict: INA to win 3-0 or 3-1.

Uber Cup KOR v INA
    KOR has the advantage of 2 favourite points in WS1 and WS2, with the others being harder to predict. Verdict: KOR to win 3-0 or 3-1

20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Does it mean even though matches are on court #3 and #4, they can be broadcasted for TV right?

If this is true, for folks not in Indonesia, can stream Kompas TV online on http://www.mivo.com/#/live/kompastv