2014 Thomas & Uber Cups: No longer having qualifying tournaments

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Jun 1, 2012.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    In future, the teams for the Thomas-Uber Cup Finals will be selected solely on the world rankings.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/5/29/sports/11376920&sec=sports

The qualifiers have been scrapped and the Badminton World Federation (BWF) will soon unveil a modified tournament.

The format of the Finals, which is expected to comprise 16 teams based on world ranking, was to be discussed during BWF’s six-day meeting, which ends on June 1.

Yesterday, BWF deputy president Paisan Rangsikitpho said the world body were committed to presenting a team event which was fair and competitive.

In future, the teams for the Thomas-Uber Cup Finals will be selected solely on the world rankings. They do not have to qualify from another tournament,” said Rangsikitpho.

“There will be some modifications to the format though. We want continental representation but their participation will not be guaranteed as they will have to justify their place in the Finals,” he said.

The scheduling of the tournament will also be reviewed to give the players some breathing space and there will be evenly distributed matches so as not to tax the teams.

The qualifying tournament is no longer interesting and there have been complaints that it lacked quality,” he said.

It also saves us calendar time. Players have been complaining that there are too many tournaments. We have looked into all this.”

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am sure that our BWF top players are happy about this news

I am sure that our BWF top players (LCW, LD, WYH, WX, etc, etc, ......) are happy about this news.

It is true; There are just too many tournaments for them to participate.

OTOH, it's disappointing for teams from Oceania, Africa and Pan America. :crying::crying::crying:

#2 chris-ccc, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There might be 3 or 4 places allocated to continental teams.

It's good to streamline the competition.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I'd rather have continental equality to spread the sport around. I really don't get this change. This is supposed to make the Thomas and Uber Cup more stronger? It'll get rid of the weak teams that don't get continental representation (which I believe is bad) and just let teams like England and India to qualify. I mean it's not gonna make that much of a difference imo. The strongest teams already qualify (CHN, DEN, MALAY, JPN, KOR, INDO) how is this gonna really make the competition that much more intense?

Maybe they should scrap the qualifying for the Asian and European countries but let the other 3 continental zones play. I really dislike this new format.

5. CantSmashThis

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from here:

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/06/11/india-likely-to-be-enthused-by-new-thomas-uber-format/

lots of marketing talk:

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    let's step back and examine, if under this new format, who'd actually get to participate. out of the top of my head, these countries will certainly be in the top:

China
    Denmark
    England
    Germany
    India
    Indonesia
    Japan
    Korea
    Malaysia
    Thailand
    Chinese Taipei

that's 11.

there are 5 spots left. not really sure who will be able to take up those 5 spots, but from glancing at this year's qualfications, these countries could be it.

Australia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Russia
    South Africa
    USA

at the end of the day, there really isn't that much difference. but then, i really don't know if it will "showcase 16 high-quality teams" because to be honest, the 12+ teams aren't exactly adding a lot to the competition, with all due respects and all.

8. CantSmashThis

My point exactly. It just takes 1 tournament of the calendar year is really the change. But I think for Pan Am, Oceania and Africa should still have it. Idk about the other 2 continental zones but this year's Trials were very close, especially Uber Cup Trials Final. It was a flip of a coin to decide whether US or Canada makes it.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder why they don't use the continental championships to determine the TC/UC qualification. the Pan Am winner, etc, gets to go to TC/UC. then that way they will have competition without adding to the time table.

10. CantSmashThis

That's usually men & women combined though?

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Why don't they just combine the individuals ranking points of top 3 singles and top 2 doubles from each country, get the total points from that, then rank them in country team order, take nothing else into account, then you will get the best teams. Keep a wild card place for continents who do not have any countries qualified(use individual rankings as stated to get best from continent).

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i believe that's what they are proposing to do, except they didn't list out exactly the mechanism used to derive the team ranking from individual ranking like you proposed. i think they are still in the stage where they will come up with the exactly mechanism to calculate the ranking. we will find out in December what they come up with.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Nobody added much competition to China this year they scratched everyone in Thomas cup.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Ranking for Men's & Women's Teams

The ranking is based on the Ranking points of the 3 (or 2) highest ranked players (or pairs) of each Association, ranked on the current individual World Ranking lists.

Our BCer, cxytdn has already posted this to inform us (Ranking as at 07-June-2012);

#14 chris-ccc, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks for pointing that out chris-ccc, and wow:eek: good work cxytdn that must have taken a bit of time.