2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Singles Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 3, 2012.

?

Who will win Men's Single Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lin Dan (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    sometimes its not the fault of the coaches but rather the players not listening to instructions...the coaches have stated in interviews that they asked them to attack at any chance but then they played a defensive style all over again....it was the same when rexy mainaky coached malaysia...he made a comparison between the english team and the malaysian team....saying that when he tells KKK to do something he listens and does something completely different while when he tells nathan robertson and gail emms to do something...they go out and do it...there is a reason why nathan/gail (though many do not like nathan) have won bigger titles than all malaysian players....they listen and strive for success

2. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes, the army team. That's the reason why they were saluting the flag.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Congrats to LD.

But really feel for LCW. Malaysia will never have another chance like today for many years to come.

4. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Congrats to LD for his second gold in a row and also LCW for his silver.

This final is full of tension and nerve from both players. But the crucial points end of third set, LD just hanging tough and manage to edge LCW.

5. KariSeng

KariSeng Regular Member

Back in Beijing 2008, Super Dan demolished lcw bcos of home gnd pressure. If he didn't finish his match fast, then he may crumble and lose.In London, he already said he wanted to give the fans a match to remember, and true to his word, the world audience had a thrilling match.What more can I say, Super Dan just toyed arnd wt lcw like how a cat plays arnd wt the rat before giving him the fatal blow right at the end.

6. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

LD promised an exciting match, he delivered.. well, although LCW lost but he is a champ in malaysian's heart.. so its still a win-win situation... both are winners in this LOG!!!

7. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Looks like Rosmah did it again...

Her perfume too strong at 19-20 in the 3rd game that LCW got reminded of what would happen if he won gold..:D

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Wow what a match it was, Both are winners producing that sort of badminton for us all to enjoy, unfortunately only one walked away with gold.

9. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

You might not be able to tell from tv, but Lin Dan's smashes definitely sounded and felt more powerful than LCW... just like mens doubles smashes. It was so tense in Wembley Arena during that game, more than the doubles that followed. I think my friend wanted to leave because he couldn't take the pressure! I'm just happy to see Lin Dan go all out one final time. All credit to a true champion.

10. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

It's because of fans like you (and the Malaysian media included) that LCW performed badly at the Thomas Cup on Malaysian's home ground. You really believe that LCW is the best (even LCW's #1 ranking was misleading) and put this pressure on LCW. Maybe LCW would have performed better if you were more realistic in your expectations and did not corner him.

If you really want Malaysia to succeed, you will recognize your faults and weaknesses and fix them. Because you cannot see your faults and weaknesses, you do not know what to fix. From an outsider's perspective, your national badminton program has many weaknesses - there isn't even a successor after LCW, while Indonesia has Simon Santoso to succeed Taufik and Denmark has Jan O. Jorgensen and Victor Axelsen to succeed Peter Gade.

11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    What a great final, I hope both continue to play after the Olympics as there are no 2 other players who can produce this quality of badminton.

12. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

daren liew the successor to LCW?? :D

13. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    The only regretful thing to note from this tournament is Nehwal won a bronze by default.

Never mind at least she didnt win gold. That will keep her mouth shut for the next four years.

Even if she doesnt, Chinese will rise again to the occasion to put her back in her place.

Well Done China - Undisputed Champions

14. Lento

Lento Regular Member

Please, let us be adults here and not let fan-boyisms get in the way. Lin Dan wanted to win that first game. He did not. He was outplayed in the early stages but came back strongly in the second and just had enough to win.

I feel heartbroken for LCW. I'm from England and was neutral before this tournament began, but seeing how LCW conducted himself and how sporting he was with beaten opponents just made me warm to him. Did anyone watch his first match against Ville Lang, in which he lost the second game? At the net, when he won, he had some lovely words and congratulations for his beaten opponent - how many other players would behave that way? The answer is none.

15. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

Na... there is no toy around at all. LCW is much better than last time. On the other hand, LD isn't better compare to last time. It's a very difficult win for LD!

16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

BTW, I think you are blind. LCW was at his best form ever. I have never seen LD go on all out attack like he did in the first set but see an opponent actually defend LD's smashes. And I've never seen LCW play this agressive before, smashing everything from the back court. LCW has been hiding his true form and ability for this very match against LD, and even LD was caught by surprise by LCW's agression and defense.

You actually dishonor LCW by claiming he was not playing his best. Anybody with an objective view could see this is the best LCW has ever played - that was perhaps the best defense by a singles player ever recorded. LCW's defense was a level above LD's defense in that game, but unfortunately, LCW can never match (and has never matched) LD's control.

17. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

It is with such arrogant thoughts of the LCW die hard fans that put so much pressure on LCW in attempt to force him to win everything. Didn't you all just mentioned that LCW has just recovered from both a shoulder injury and a badly torn ankle, and that LCW is playing as if the injuries are not there? So it seems that the injury has indeed affected LCW and yet you boast about the invincibility that LCW has to have..

Honestly speaking, it is with such inconsiderate fans that is LCW's greatest loss.

18. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yup, I would agree with you that LCW is much better than last time.

However, I'm not so sure that LD wasn't as good compared to 2008. It's just that LCW's level was much higher this time, he gave LD a close game. That was the best single's defense I've ever seen from LCW - LD simply could not finish LCW off time and time again with the smash.

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I'm wondering how much LCW will ponder leaving that shuttle at 19-18 up in the 3rd...

20. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yup, I agree. That was LCW's best game ever and best form ever (look at how LD couldn't smash through LCW). I don't know why the Boleh fans would even insult LCW's game today. That is insulting to LCW. LCW doesn't deserve such shallow fans.

#560 galaxyduo, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012