2011 Belgian International (15th-18th September)

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

It depends on what you drink.
    I doubt what you drank played tricks on your eyes, hahaha.

I doubt you drank too much alcohol, which is not too good for a coach. :D:D:D

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Australian good red wine

Only drinking our Australian good red wine. :):):)

The next time you come to visit Melbourne, I shall buy you some. :D:D:D

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Game 1
    TCS-AKT: 11-05 (Interval at the 7th minute)
    TCS-AKT: 15-21 (Game over at the 18th minute)

A great comeback by AKT.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Game 1

Game 2
    TCS-AKT: 08-11 (Interval at the 30th minute)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Red wine? Excellent! Good for the heart if taken in moderation, not more than twice (volumn not sure) in the evenings?
    I love coffee and coffee loves me.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Game 1

Game 2
    TCS-AKT: 08-11 (Interval at the 30th minute)
    TCS-AKT: 17-21 (Match over at the 40th minute)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

An article from Badminton Europe;

http://www.badmintoneurope.com/news_item.aspx?id=53383

Today 17-September-2011

Sashina Vignes Waran created the biggest upset of today’s second round as she toppled the number 2 seed from Russia Anastasia Prokopenko in three sets. Prokopenko’s less that inspiring start to the season continued today in Belgium after a similarly laclustre display in the Ukraine last week. It was not that the Russian played altogether that bad today but the fact that her French opponent played a tactically good game against second seeded Prokopenko. After sharing the opening Sets Vignes Waran cruised to the victory 21-7 in the third.

Fourth seed, Elizabeth Cann from England, was taken close in three games against Karoliine Hoim of Estonia to do her race for Olympic points no harm in the race for London. The most impressive and dominant displays in the women’s singles came from Judith Meulendijks (pictured) and top seed Olga Konon as both were easy winners in two sets.

“After the worlds I had a bad back and I honestly did not know if I would continue but I am back now and feeling good and enjoying being on court and it’s important for me to get a run of matches here” said Meulendijks to Badminton Europe

In the men’s singles draw Brice Leverdez continued his good run of form in defeating Scott Evans in what was a hotly contested match on the Live streaming court. Evans felt aggrieved at 20-19 down in the second set after a controversial line call cost the Irishman the set from which he never really recovered. Leverdez went on to take the match in the third in a highly entertaining match.

“I know Scott a long time and I know the way he plays and how he is on court so I pretty much expected everything that happened. It was a difficult match but I am happy to have made it through to the next round especially after a hard week last week.” Said Leverdez to Badminton Europe

The second round was one step too far for qualifier Nikolaj Persson (pictured) after beating fourth seed Derek Wong in the first round proper. The German was unable to trouble Swede Henri Hurskainen as the fatigue of qualification clearly set in. Zavadskly, Lang and Pang complete the European interest in tomorrow’s quarter finals.

In the men’s doubles new the new pairing on Mikkel Elbjørn and Sam Magee advanced to the quarter final in their first ever outing together but without doubt the pair to beat in Leuven this week are runners up from Ukraine last week Adam Cwalina and Michel Logosz. The Poles destroyed Meijs and Van Heukelom allowing their opposition only 7 points in both sets to advance to the quarter finals.

Dutch pair Selena Piek and Jorrit De Ruiter (pictured) displaced Singaporean opposition to once again solidify their credentials as top contenders for the title. Piek in particular looks to be the complete package and looks to be a match for any opposition at this level.

“We were pretty bad in the first game as this is our first tournament together but we got it together in the second and third so all in all we are pretty happy to be in the next round especially in beating a pair from Singapore” said De Ruiter to Badminton Europe.

In the women’s doubles Danish pair of Røpke and Kruse fell at the hands of a pair from Singapore for the second week running, last week it was at the hands of eventual winners Shinta and Yao Lei, this week it was at the hands of Chen and Neo.

Article by Mark Phelan (live in Belgium)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Good night everyone

Getting sleepy now (Almost 3am in Melbourne).

Good night everyone. :):):)

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The first result of the finals is now at hand.

In XD, Singapore's Chayut/Yao Lei (3) have just beaten Jorrit De Ruiter/Selena Piek 23-25, 21-16, 21-14 in 52 min.

Yao Lei will have another chance to win the WD title with Shinta later.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In WS Olga Konon justified her top seeding by defeating Larisa Griga (3) 21-12, 21-13.

In the ongoing MS, INA's Andre Tedjono is finding France's Brice Leverdez (2) to hot to handle and is now trailing 3-15. Andre has to find an answer quickly, otherwise he will be white washed very fast.

#30 Loh, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Chris, I read through the thread and notice only you and Uncle Loh are active for the past 2 days. So your "Good night everyone" must be to Uncle Loh. :):)

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badly battered in G1 7-21, Andre counter-attacked to regain G2, 21-13. But Brice turned on the power in the final game to win the match emphatically 21-11 and the MS title.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wah you very observant hah!

But don't forget the silent readers from Singapore, Malaysia (rooting for TCS and Julia Wong) and Indonesia (for Andre!) :D

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Currently playing is the WD. Singapore's Shinta/Yao Lei won G1 21-12 against England's Mariana Agathangelou/Heather Olver and is leading in G2 18-14.

Well it is confirmed Shinta and Yao won G2 21-18 and the match in 28 min.

Singapore has done well to win two titles in XD and WD.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Congratulations to all winners !!!

Congratulations to all winners of their events;

* Womens Singles...Olga Konon [1] (Germany)

* Mens Singles........Brice Leverdez [2] (France)

* Womens Doubles..Shinta Mulia Sari/Yao Lei [1] (Singapore)

* Mens Doubles.......Adam Cwalina/Michal Logosz [1] (Poland)

* Mixed Doubles......Chayut Triyachart/Yao Lei Yao [3] (Singapore)

At least all participants here tried their best to win (not like the 2011 China Masters tournament played at the same time, link: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...1-China-Masters-Finals-on-Sunday-18-September ), where 'match-fixing' was found to have occurred. :(:(:(

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A report from Badminton Europe on the 2011 Belgian International Finals

A report from Badminton Europe on the 2011 Belgian International Finals

http://www.badmintoneurope.com/news_item.aspx?id=53461

Consecutive wins for Konon & Leverdez
    18 September 2011

Both Olga Konon and Brice Leverdez claimed the top step of the podium for the second week running in Belgium this afternoon to seal another set of maximum world ranking points in the race for Olympic qualification. To win just once on the Badminton Europe circuit in any one season is a marked achievement in itself but to do it twice and in consecutive weeks is true mark of the quality and form of both Konon and Leverdez.

Konon, in the same manner as her victory last week over Susan Egelstaff, was never really tested by Larisa Griga in today’s final. The German hit the ground running and her powerful attack and relentless offensive pressure had Griga on the back foot for the majority of the match. The German took the opening set 21-12 and led from start to finish and Griga only managed to get her nose in front for the first point of the second set before Konon just changed into top gear to run away with a very one sided final.

“I always knew that I had the game to beat Larisa here today. I have remained very focused this past two weeks throughout these tournaments and it paid off. I want to qualify for next year’s Olympics so this is a really good start to the season but there is a lot of more work to do before that dream is realised” said Konon to Badminton Europe

Leverdez unlike Konon was made to battle that little bit harder to achieve his victory. The French number one blitzed Tedjono of Indonesia in the opening game before and revitalised Tedjono bounced back to take the second as he thwarted the flat fast attack of Leverdez. The third set looked to be developing into a closely contested battle before Leverdez went on a run of nine unanswered points to leave no way back for Tedjono. The French number 1 went on to take the title with a 21-11 win in the third set.

“I feel very tired now after these two weeks but I have to say that it has really been amazing for me to win these two tournaments. After going for almost three years without a win and then to win twice in two weeks is almost unbelievable. I think I will need a rest now for a few weeks to recover before deciding my next move” said Leverdez to Badminton Europe

There was additional European success for Adam Cwalina and Michal Logosz as the Poles turned last week’s silver into gold this week with a determined two set win over veteran Austrian pair Peter Zauner and Juergen Koch. The Poles were so disappointed to lose last week’s final in Ukraine and it was clear from the outset that they only had one thing on their minds here in Belgium and that was to head off to Brazil next week with a gold medal around their necks.

The Poles were made to battle really hard for their victory and every point was hard fought against the defensive set up of the Austrians. In the end the all out attacking style of the Poles was just too much for Zauner and Koch to handle and the Poles took the victory 21-11 21-15.

“This was an important win for us here today especially after the defeat in the final last week in Ukraine. This win certainly makes up for that disappointment and now we can go to Brazil next week with a lot of confidence” said Logosz to Badminton Europe

Finally the touring Singapore team head home to Asia with two victories in today’s finals as top women’s doubles pair Shinta and Yao Lei emerged victorious over European opposition for the second week running. This time the victims of the Singapore power were English duo Olver and Agathangelou.

In the mixed doubles Tryiachart and Yao Lei defeated new Dutch pair of Piek and De Ruiter to end a good European swing for the team Singapore.

Article by Mark Phelan (Live in Belgium)

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shuttlers snare titles in Belgium

by Philip Goh Haw Hann
    05:49 AM Sep 19, 2011

SINGAPORE - The Republic's shuttlers tasted victory at the Yonex Belgian International yesterday, winning the mixed and women's doubles titles.

Yao Lei featured in both wins in at the US$15,000 (S$18,000) tier three tournament in the city of Mechelen.

Against Jorrit De Ruiter and Selena Piek of the Netherlands in the mixed doubles final, Yao and Chayut Triyachart overcame first game jitters to win 23-25, 21-16, 21-14.

Seeded third for the event, the pair squandered a 20-18 lead to lose the first game but regained their composure to take the next two games and complete their first title win in 52 minutes.

In the women's doubles final, Yao and Shinta Mulia Sari lived up to their billing as topseeds, taking out third-ranked Mariana Agathangelou and Heather Olver of England 21-12, 21-18.

On Saturday, Agathangelou and Olver had ended the campaign of the Republic's Chen Jiayuan and Vanessa Neo.

But Yao and Shinta - the 2010 Li-Ning Singapore Open winners - were a different proposition and the English pairing were not given much of a sniff in the 29-minute encounter.

The victories bode well for the Singapore badminton team who will be aiming to improve on their one silver and two bronze medals from the last SEA Games in Laos when they head to Indonesia this November.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Loh, It's good for Singapore... that your players are all preparing well for the coming SEA Games in Indonesia this November.