2008: Female badminton winners to get same purse as the men

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Professional Badminton players are more for passion than for money

Since we are talking about female Badminton players in this thread...

There is no way that girls can be lured into Badminton by telling them that they could be paid exorbitant amounts of money if they were to become professional players.

I believe that for professional players, the passion for the sport comes first. The money is only a bonus.

Tennis, for example, pays well for professional players... but its only for the TOP 100 PLAYERS (so I have heard :confused: ).

However, I believe that the purse should be equal for both male and female professionals, Badminton or Tennis.

And if the purse is not good enough, none would want to play it professionally, but rather to find another occupation while playing it recreationally.

#41 chris-ccc, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I meant that in the Equal Opportunity sense. All factors being equal, MS winner will get prize money than WS winner. So, for the same no of titles, XXF gets less than Lin Dan. "work just as hard" is comparision male & female, with currently the female getting less.

Imagine if my male colleague, same job scope and performance, earns more than me just because of his gender, not work performance. That's where it says - 'Women have to be 2X as good just to be considered same level with the men.'

3. eaglehelang

Well, in an intv a few days ago, WMC said BAM players are not allowed to sign endorsement deals, at least not on their own. That's why we dont hear of Badminton players being spokeperson for any brand till near retirement.

Stipend : Ants would know better. As far as I know, Msia althetics get MYR500 per month basic. They get to stay free at the hostel. Food I'm not sure. And sponsors for their gear and stuff.
    For SS, they get a distribution of prize money from 1st rd main draw.

SEA winners get (all MYR) $500+1,000(I think) = 1,500/mth
    Comonwealth Games/Asian Games winners $500+$2,000/$2,500 = $2,500 to $3,000/mth
    Those who qualified for OG 2008, get additional monthly allowance - $1,000??
    Not including the cash incentive for each medal won at SEA Games, Asia & World level.

For a 18-year-old as a clerk, only earns MYR800/mth.

4. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

It used to be called feminist view, but now well accepted as the norm by the main stream or in the slow process of being accepted.

The quote is correct since men have XY and women need to be XX :D

Thanks for the infor. Top badminton players get about 4 times a 18-year old high school graduate, plus some benefit. Other players are barely make a living. I don't see much difference between players and ordinary folks, and certainly not much star power there financially :eek:

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I guess its a matter of who gets the better influence on the sponsors. Again, politic sucks.

6. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

When we pay a professional badminton player, we are really paying them for the entertainment value of watching them play. IF more people would rather watch MS, MD than WS, WD, thus the entertainment value (drawcard power) of the men is more. So the men should be paid more to reflect that.

From what I know, the people DO prefer to watch MS/MD, so the men should be paid more.

The tennis style of splitting the tours is a good idea, so the market can decide their pay. Maybe if more people want to watch WS/WD, then by all means the women would be paid more.

PS: I wonder if the womens netball players get paid more than the men's netball players, but nobody complains about that?

PPS: Im sure the men play better than the women, so if pure "job performance" is the way you want to hand out the money, then if the #100 mens player can beat the #1 women's player, he should be paid the same as her?

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Key word is Performance.. The problem is when you expect same money for less performance..

Same job should get same pay.. I don't think anyobody really would argue against that.. The problem comes with when you try to compare jobs that are not the same, and where performance may be hard to measure objectively..

It isn't really a question that top mens performance in singles is higher than top women performance.. If this was not the case womens singles would not really be a neccessary event att all... We could just have singles if women performance was equal to men...

/Twobeer

8. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    True. I equally enjoy watching Woman play.

I am Male by the way. It's a slower game with a more mixed range of shots.

9. eaglehelang

1) WS/WD - not for the moment, China still dominating, makes it less interesting.
    2) I assure you someone WILL complain VERY fast if that happens (from past history).
    3) If you mean monthly pay, then sure, why not ?- it's already that way anyway. If you mean prize money, is the #100 male player the title winner? If he wins the title, sure.

In some sports, it's possible for women to be better than the men, performance wise, when it's men vs women - bowling(Msia women are World Champs, there's no Men vs Women tourneys for us to compare, unfortunately), Gymnastics, Dance Sports, Equestrian, Snooker,Sailing, Archery, Wushu(Msia woman is Asia Champ), Martial Arts, Diving, Skating.

Nicol David in top form can beat Msia top male player Ong BH, they havent tried with the male World no 1, so not truly equal.

10. February

February Regular Member

I believe that in a game of badminton, the male players still are slightly better than female players due to the pure athletic skills of a man.
    But I feel like men and women should be paid equally, and its bad to treat women lower.
    However, I think that instead of paying the top women champions more, they should let the top female players participate against men in order to win more money. If the woman wins, they give her the amount of money they would have paid if the man won.
    Because at the end, it should be about who won, not which gender won. So I am saying that if #1 woman can beat the #1 man, sure go ahead and take the amount of money that the #1 man would have received. But if they did not play against each other and only won in their gender confined events, then the #1 woman shouldn't be paid the same as #1 man because she did not give the same performance as the man did. See my logic?

#50 February, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  11. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    Well I highly doubt that they will ever let female players play against male female players. I really like Zhang Ning and she is an amazing player but I really doubt that she could beat Lin Dan in a match. I'd like to see the two play though. It would be.....interesting.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BWF walks the talk: Gender Equality in 2008

Here is the Press Release from BWF. :):):)

[FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]====== ====== Start Press Release ====== ======[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,]PRESS RELEASE

Gender Equality - BWF walks the talk

9 January 2008

IF Zhou Lin of China and Peter Gade of Denmark retain their singles titles at the Proton Malaysia Open next week, they will each receive an identical US$15,000 first prize.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,]That’s because the Badminton World Federation (BWF) have marked the second year of Super Series by announcing equal prizemoney for men and women.

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]And that’s not just for the 12 events of Super Series II, starting in Kuala Lumpur on January 15. The decision will filter down through Grand Prix Gold and International Opens.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]Anne Smillie, chair of the BWF’s Sports Committee, said today: “It’s long overdue. They do it in tennis with even Wimbledon falling into line with other Grand Slam events last year.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]“So it’s only right that badminton offers parity, especially now that matches are contested over the same best-of-three games to 21 points in the men’s and women’s game.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]“It means that winners of both the men’s and women’s singles events will now receive 7.5 per cent of the prize pot compared to an 8per cent/6.9per cent split last year - and there is parity in doubles events as well.”[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]Doubles pairs will now receive 6.9 per cent (compared to 7.2 per cent for men’s doubles, 6.1 per cent for women’s doubles and 5.8 per cent for mixed doubles). In real terms that means a winning pair will share $13,800 for Super Series events.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]Smillie added: “I accept that it is a slight reduction for men’s singles and men’s doubles, but it is an increase for the other three events. The BWF think that is the right way to go and I hope the players agree. We want this to benefit all players.”

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]Bobby Milroy, President of the Badminton Players’ Federation, welcomed the equal prizemoney, saying: “"The Players Federation has been working for two years to pass a policy of Gender Equality in Badminton.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,] “It is admirable that Punch Gunalan and the BWF Council worked to make our suggestion a reality in this case.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]”I consider it a signal to the other Olympic sports that Badminton is a leader in all aspects of the Olympic movement, including moral issues such as gender equality."

====== ====== End Press Release ====== ======
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]