2007 Sudirman Cup - Day 5 - Friday

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by kwun, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was afraid that the young Tago would be fielded as a surprise element as our singles players have not met him before, I believe.

Singapore would have preferred Sato, whose playing style is quite familiar with many. But both Kendrick and Ronald should prevail against Tago. I did not watch the match but I always think that Ronald is too defensive a player and probably Tago took a lot more risks attacking him.

Kendrick would have been a better match for Tago as not only is he younger than Ronald, he is also in good form lately, having scalped Chen Jin in the Singapore Open.

I have stated that our weakness will lie in our women's singles and doubles and if we prevailed in the XD, our chance for victory would have been better. Still I would field the more experienced Li Li, in agreement with Abedeng, and not Xing Aiying, whose form is not as good currently.

But Ronald failed us in what could have been Singapore's finest hour in world badminton - promotion to the top leaque! :(

#581 Loh, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    However, SIN did not know that Tago is being fielded. If JPN had fielded Sato, and SIN fielded Kendrick and subsequently lost, then the team manager will be scolded. From their match in the Singapore Open, it is clear that Ronald is the superior player, so no matter what, fielding him was the better decision. If SIN were to face JPN again this week, who would you field?

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    At the moment, I would rate them about the same. Ronald was able to beat Kendrick in the SO in three games because of his experience and familiarity with Kendrick's game. But at the rate Kendrick is going and with more international exposure with different opponents, he has a very good chance of surpassing Ronald, assuming Kendrick continues to commit to serious training and the will to win. How nice for a change if a local boy can bring honour to his country. :)

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The choice of playing Ronald over Kendrick is correct, I think. He has more big match experience compared to Kendrick, and this is an important point when team managers select players in a critical tie.

It might be overeagerness on Ronald's part that caused his game to suffer after leading quite far behind in the mid part of the 2nd game. Despite his youth, Tago was not using his energy effectively, he was almost spent in the 3rd game but Ronald could not capitalize.

There is this other matter too, of the critical bad line call in the 2nd game, at 18-19. Ronald's smash was clearly in, and with that he would have levelled the score at 19-19 instead of falling back 18-20. TV replay definitely indicated the shuttle went in. In this age of point-per-rally system, I think there is justification for better line judging, with video evidence if necessary, the impact of bad line judgement is too great especially in close games.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I agree with you. Technology (for line-judging) must be employed at least at Super Series events and BWF events (Thomas, Uber, Sudirman, WC, Olympics).

That said, the line-judging during the Sudirman Cup was generally good.

6. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Absolutely agree. If ATP/Tennis and US football (not soccer) could deploy the technology, why not badminton? I guess the $$$/sponsorship is still the bottom line as far as the game is concerned. sad but true :eek:

If I'm not mistaken, the technology was invested by IBM.

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. The line judges had done a superb job although there were some poor calls. However, those poor calls were tough ;of the skimming shots type.It's not like the HKO06 type where the line judges had the time to see the shuttle landing and the bad calls looked rather intentional.
    The umpires were less impressive.

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Also in Indo newspapers reported that TH again insisted to use Replay...
    The incident happened when TH against Park ( Kor) when TH was leading 6-4..when TH smashed and was IN....the scoreboard showed from 8-4 to 9-4.
    Park protested and asked TH if it was supposed to be 7-4..TH nodded but Umpire did not react and Park was upset and complained...he got Yellow card instead.....Poor Park!!!

It is about time as sometimes it is tough as the shuttle lands on the court so fast and so close...how you are 100% sure if it is out or in....

I agree that they should use Replay , at least at Super series...;)