1999 Surdirman Cup

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Faisal, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    Hi, I was just wathcing the WSF of SC (1999) between Dai Yun and Camilla Martin and I noticed that the umpire asked Dai Yun not to clinch her fist during the end of a rally:confused: Can anyone tell me why?? And despite of the fact that he asked her not to clinch it, both the players did it during the whole match! I mean it is natural to do it when you score...:rolleyes:

And one more thing, Dai Yun wanted some time with the towel and the umpire did not allow? Is there a rule that says players are not allowed to have time for towel at a certain time or is it just that the umpire was too strict???

Thanks.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    they are not allowed to clinch the fist or yell while facing their opponent. so they just turn to the side and clinch/yell... :D

not sure if there is a towel rule in terms of time. i think it is to the umpire's judgement whether the player really needs a wipe down, or is he trying to gain some breathing time.

in the 2001 edition of the WC, the umpires actually invited the player to take a break!

3. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    really?! I didn't know that...

I don't knowKwun, if you saw the Tennis Davis Cup a few days ago but Martin Verkerk (Holland) was yelling and clinching AT Bopanna (India) during his match with him and I seriously thought that was rude...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. exactly!

badminton has its root of being a gentlemen's sport. thus there are "social" rules that umpire enforces. as you said, yelling or clinching fist at the opponent would be rather rude.

i kinda like that as i believe a game should be a game of skills and not a game of who has the bigger mouth... :D