15-0

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Mads U

Mads U Regular Member

Engineer
    An early easter egg

In the last team match of this season - saturday - I received an "egg" as we call it here in Denmark.

My partner and I played so lousy, that it was pure undeserved luck that we were able to steal a single point in the second set.

The full humiliation - a double zero had been deserved.

By the way we call that "a pair of glasses".

Apart from the humilation on court, we can look forward to another one at the end-of-season-party.
    I my club it is a tradition that if you receive an "egg" in a team match, you also receive an egg at the party.
    This is a very soft boiled egg from a hen, and you have to eat in front of everybody.

For those of you who think "salmonella risk" - Don't worry We always sterilise before and after eating the egg - Plenty of alcohol is the preferred agent.

/Mads

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Mads, that's funny! I knew about the "egg" term in Danish (in fact, I started using that term in my club and now people have started to pick it up), but I hadn't heard the "pair of glasses" term before. That's a good one -- but it does sound better in Danish or Swedish than in English though!

I have both given out and been handed a few eggs through the years, but luckily I have yet to be rewarded a pair of glasses! (Although I do have a pair on my nose already..)

:p

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Re: An early easter egg

Reminds me of another game - golf.

During club friendlies, the pair that returned with the worst scores from both the host and the visiting clubs had the 'honour' of gulping down a glass of beer in the presence of all participating golfers during the prize giving. But the glasses will each be inserted with a golf ball to go with the beer. We called it Lychee - drinking lychee! Not to worry, the golf ball is brand new and not the used ones which had been hit around on some dirty fairways. But hopefully, one should not get too excited and swallow the golf ball as well!

To remind these poor performers of their responsibity to play better golf the next time, normally the captain of the host club will lead in a 'Swearing-in" kind of ceremony. The penalized players will line up facing their fellow golfers to repeat after him such words as: "In my next outing, I will not again place myself in such a deplorable situation and I promise that I will train hard so as not to let myself and my team down again..." before they are permitted to take their drink. :p

#23 Loh, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  4. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

yep, got beaten 15-0 in a doubles tournament before. My partner lost his fighting spirit really quickly when we found out how good the opponents were as we played along - turned to be more about me against the two. :p

5. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

Never happent to me