1 piece vs. 2 piece racquets

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Brett, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Brett

Brett Regular Member

What is the practical difference between one and two piece racquets? Is one sort considered more powerful, more durable, more accurate, more expensive to manufacture, etc... than the other?

2. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    I'd say...

It depends on the manufacturers intent, when they create the racquet.
    Kind of like a car, you may want to build one fast, you may want to build one safe, you may want to build one more luxurious than others...

Yonex's next racquet may become a one piece one day, but it all depends on what they want to do. However unlikely that is, because they believe that a two piece frame will be stronger than the one piece.
    One piece, I classify as the shaft & handle being one continuous piece of layered metal. HOWEVER, there is one exception to this rule, as I've seen with Carlton, and Black Knight... some of their racquets are one piece, but further down, you'll see that there was still a wooden handle attached to the racquet.
    That doesn't mean that they skimped out on using graphite down there, it's just that the wooden handle I believe would be a lot sturdier than a graphite one. Just my opinion though.
    That's where all the defects in the handle come from.
    Yonex believes that the two piece is sturdier, because the wooden handle, and the plastic molding to hold the shaft if place, are secured properly, and steadily enough that there wont be such structural weaknesses.
    Some people have noticed with their racquets from other brand manufacturers that there are screws attaching the shaft, and the handle... I haven't noticed this yet with the Yonex racquets, if I have, I honestly could not remember, but maybe one of our fellow forum members could help us clarify this???

In any case, there are certain characteristics that the one and two piece have...
    One piece is supposed to deliver more aerodynamic performance over all, reducing drag on all parts of the racquet, supposedly leading to a higher head speed at impact.

However again, if you notice with Yonex's marketing... their Swing Power series graded into 4 different racquets, are all two piece racquets. They still are able to place a majority of the weight bias at a certain point in the racquet. Whether or not this translates into a more fragile design, only time will tell.
    If you look across the different weights of the Swing power series from SX all the way to SS... You'll notice that they just make the racquets lighter, true weight balance would be concentrating more weight on one side than the other, and having a uniform weight between the series, however it seems Yonex opted for the other road, and just made the racquets lighter overall, I'm not saying that the weight bias is not there, because it is there. I'm just saying that the racquet materials were taken out, to make it more cost effective for them, and so they could make more profit.
    Very clever these companies are at making money.
    That's just my opinion though... don't you think from a certain standpoint that is correct? To achieve true weight bias, technically they should have had a uniform weight through out the series, and just added the extra weight in those areas that they intended the play for... or what they deem as a doubles racquet, or singles racquet.

I'm not saying they're wrong at all. I believe them to be correct in their reasoning. I'm only trying to offer another view point.
    Hope some of my rant helps you out, because this is a good topic to discuss.

3. May

May Guest

Re: I'd say...

I don't get it.

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

what don't you understand?

5. May

May Guest

what r u talkign abT?????

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    My point... young girls can't comprehend tech specs. :)
    It's a proven fact, guys are more understanding of technical things, as women ______ ________ ______
    I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks. :)
    END OF DISCUSSION!

7. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    hmm my prince is a one peice and it has withstood LOTS of stuff...so one peice is durable(it has withstood me throwing it cos i missed a shot when i wasnt supposed to haha, racquet clashing with doubles partner, has gone through 3 sets of strings and is 4 yrs old)

8. May

May Guest

Stuff a sock in it unless u want me to help u stuff one for u.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Go right ahead, and I'll have your schools shut down. :)
    You know what they say, money makes the world go round... fortunately I've got more than plenty to go around, that's why I can afford to take more than a year off from doing business. :)
    Anyways, like I said.
    END OF DISCUSSION!!!

10. May

May Guest

have my school shut down???? I don't understand u. R u in the wrong topic????

11. PoonSlayer666

PoonSlayer666 New Member

One piece rackets are definitely better and the type I recommend you to buy. Don't waste your time and/or money on two-piece ones.
    - Poon

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Dear PoonSlayer,
    You have ressurected a pre- 9/11 thread . But your point is well-taken. ;)