Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2022 : R/32 - Final (16-20 March)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 15, 2022.

1. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

The standards of the top-top players have definitely dropped (a lot too) after the 'Golden Era' of guys such as :

- Lin Dan
    - Lee Chong Wei
    - Taufik Hidayat
    - Peter Gade
    - Cai Yun
    - Fu Haifeng
    - Lee Yong Dae
    - Jung Jae Sung

.. To name a few from MS and MD.

Shamwow likes this.
  2. GoodmintonLover

GoodmintonLover Regular Member

Unpopular Opinion: I think badminton is now much more exciting because now only 1 or 2 players don't dominate. Players from different countries are rising up and can upset top players. This makes the game's earlier rounds exciting too and unpredictable. The quality of badminton in many players also improves this way.

3. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Of all the names you mentioned it was Li Xuerui against whom Saina truly struggled almost every time they played against each other. Saina is 6-7 against Marin and by the time Saina figured out a way to beat Wang Yihan, the latter decided to retire from the sport. Saina never had the pace of movement even before Rio happened but she had the shots which neutralized her opponents pace and she always had superior fitness levels then her opponents hence the consistency and I still believe had she not got injured in Rio she would have definitely medalled for the second consecutive time because she came to Rio in some hot form. It's amazing how people completely undermine the fact that Saina has been playing since forever, she is not from the same generation of badminton players people like to compare her with. But as Rafael Nadal always says "if, if, if, doesn't exist". But I still maintain Saina is a better player than PVS imho. Not that I am a huge fan of hers but that's just my opinion based on my understanding of the game.

And I just realised this is the All England open championships forum and not the Indian badminton players forum. Sorry folks. My mistake. Discussing irrelevant topics here was never my intention. :p

#1023 arjevo, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    rajat_remar, Baddie lover and Simeon like this.
  4. om patel

om patel Regular Member

There will definitely be one Indonesia MD in every tournament semi finals this year and Maybe! Maybe One Indonesia in every final , as how stack Indonesia is in MD year compared to other countries.

5. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I think lee yong dae is still playing but very seldom? Like ko sung hyun and shim baek chul. Not sure why the independent korean players seldom play in international tournaments

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

i’m sure he will . I just dont think significance is as big as the decades of the past eras. Like in the past , who are you if you are not Olympic Champ?

and why do you think Messi said so? Simply because no one can have everything but yeah just like Kevin he still have lots of titles and lots of money. And yeah he said changing titles, he never said changing all his money to win 1 WorldCup, did he?

#1026 Yoji, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

yeah we are likely to see unseeded winner in MS/MD which imo is 2 of the most exciting disciplines now.

8. guantou

guantou Regular Member

i agree with you, altho what i didnt like was the injuries of momota and syq which effectively took out the competitive edge of those 2 players

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Also the WTF ranking is a big joke, there is Indian pair who i never heard of leading the ranks and its likely that if they join every tournament , they will end up in WorldTourFinal.

BWF should have just used like the SS points, well if they wanted to add S300 or GPG then its

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

That's why it is called as World Tour Finals Ranking. This is only March . See how many indians would be in the fray at the end of November. Only one or two. So, Don't get worked up. That WD which leads the ranking charts is the one which yesterday reached semifinals.

GoodmintonLover and arjevo like this.
  11. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Hmm for me it's the opposite, it's never been so dull to watch with the exception of a few players. Unpredictable games isn't the problem, it's lack of jaw dropping rallies that I used to witness, since general quality is down (in men's disciplines at least).

Pretty much everyone in MS is consistently bad so it's too frustrating to watch. MD is a few levels below previous generations when the aging daddies can reach finals on literally only 2 good legs (and won AE before with injury). XD and WS do have some of those epic rallies at least and I did see some glimmer of hope in the young Indonesian pair that's in todays final.

Shamwow likes this.
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

not WD.. MD.

13. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Love MS so far, LKY, LZJ, laksha and vittisarn!

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Definitely they are all future number 1s

15. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Today for me, the last two matches are the best to watch. XD and MS.
    I have a feeling Sen is going to win. He beat Victor early this month in Germany. XD will be a thriller for sure.

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    To beat Sen, all viktor need to do is reduce mistakes. Lzj just screwed it up.

Lakshya doesnt have booming smash or reach like viktor. He is also playing 3 sets. ;)

17. wade

wade Regular Member

Kevin definitely wouldn't be remembered as much as hendra/ahsan 15-20 years from now simply because he always choke in big events, he probably gonna be remembered as an exciting player.though, just like sigit.

arjevo likes this.
  18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    It sounds like you dont consider Sen a good enough player for you to bother making an elaborate guide for other players on how to beat him :p

GoodmintonLover and arjevo like this.
  19. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    You need more than a booming smash to win badminton matches I hope you realise that.

GoodmintonLover and Gigabit like this.
  20. backhand_slice_drop

backhand_slice_drop Regular Member

Most of those wins against Marin were before Marin became a world champion and they played some big matches where Saina didn’t make an impact. If doesn’t exist. The bottom line Saina did better than Sindhu on tour and Sindhu did better than Saina at majors.

My opinion is Saina is way more consistent than Sindhu but Sindhu has a higher peak than Saina just doesn’t reach that peak often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anks likes this.