From theory to practise: How to implement the split step into my game ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ballschubser, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Theoretically I know when and how to do the split step. When doing shadow footwork it works too, but, as most will know, once you try to implement it into a game, it gets really hard to get the correct timing. When watching videos of myself playing badminton, I observe, that I do some kind of split step sometimes, but often only one-sided. This tells me, that I most likely execute the split step too late (when I know in which direction I need to push off).

Now, as a noob, I have the issue with the correct timing when I try to consciously execute the split step (most often executing it too early which results being rooted to the ground for the moment and reaching the shuttle even later as without split step).

So, I would like to know, if there are some intermetiate steps I could use to approach the split step during a game. Some thoughts I have are:

1. Should I start with a jump, even if it is a waste of power and time, but it helps me to get down the timing and lower the jump high, when I get better ?

2. Is it better to start the split step "too early" or "too late" ? From which side of the "timing" should I approach the "right timing" ?

3. Is it easier to start it only for certain shots/positions (e.g. only if the opponent plays from the backcourt).

#1 Ballschubser, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The same as how you walk, you didnt think which foot start to lift & move forward & then when you land your foot & followed up by your next foot. Your body remember the pattern & not your brain.

You need to makes your body remember it instead of your brain. Keep doing shadow movement in routine daily to makes your body remember it.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

(1) I don't like teaching this as a jump. It's a bad habit. The timing is completely wrong and makes you vulnerable, so I don't think it helps.

(2) Timing can vary a bit depending on the situation -- e.g. singles defence can benefit from an early, wide split. In general, I would say better too late than too early. Too late makes you slightly slower, whereas too early kills your movement completely (you need to restart). Splitting late also gets you used to coping with some deceptions.

(3) Split step should be used in almost every situation, the obvious exception being when receiving serve.

More generally, I think the split step can be learned "indirectly". Rather than focusing on "doing a split", just keep your body a bit low and try to "stop" your movement in time with your opponent's hitting. Bear in mind that the feet could be "lined" up in different directions depending on the situation, and that a split isn't always "even" (it might be predominantly one foot, usually the racket foot).

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I work on this with some kids.

Quite right that an intermediate training step is needed. You will see international athletes work on their movement without using a racquet.

Firstly, since you are aware that you have a split step, reinforcement is necessary.

If you have a bench or an exercise step, stand on it and drop off the edge on to the floor with a split step. Listen carefully to the sound you feet make - check if there is only one sound or if there are two sounds - both feet landing together will make one sound.

The next stage is to take a small step after the split step. Any direction you like but forward is easiest. The essential quality is to try to keep the time on landing and then to the next step as short as possible. Add on a different direction of to increase the difficulty but always keep in mind for the shortest contact time on the split step and listen for the one sound of both feet landing together.

the next stage is to introduce another object into the exercise. You need a feeder with a tennis ball. The feeder throws the ball as you split step and you have to split step first and then catch the ball. If you want to move faster, experiment with split stepping into a crouch position. The feeder can increase the difficulty by trying to release the tennis ball as late as possible or introducing some fake arm movements. However the feeder must not release the ball so late that you are static after the split step.

Another variation is to stand with your back to the wall. The feeder with tennis ball stands in front of you. Feeder throws tennis ball against the wall. You do a really small jump, rotate 180 degrees to face the wall , split step and move to catch the ball. You can’t do too many repetitions quickly because you’ll get dizzy. LOL.

You can do these exercises in addition to routines with a racquet. It will help solidify your split step.

Moving on to introducing into fully functional court movement , have the feeder with shuttles standing in front of you on court the other side of the net. The feeder feeds one shuttle by hand slowly left front corner and then right front corner. You have to split step when the shuttle is released and reach the shuttle. Don’t worry if you don’t successfully hit the shuttle over the net. The priority is to first focus on the split step, and then move to the shuttle.

The feeder can increase the difficulty by the shuttle left or right at random and introduce fake arm movements. This will stop you from too much bias in your split step. If you are anticipating too much too early, you will lose your split step - that’s why you need the fake arm routine.

A more advanced routine is to use a single shuttle routine.

a) The simple one would be using only half court: feeder stands at back of court. You lift shuttle to feeder and go backwards, feeder hits dropshot, you split step at the same time as hitting, and then move forward, and lift the shuttle again. Go back to base and split step again when your feeder hits the shuttle. Common errors are not thinking of the split step and just stepping moving forward. It takes a certain amount of discipline to just focus on the split step. After practicing for a while , try to reduce the attention on the split step but then refocus attention on it again.

b) the really challenging one would be to use full court : Feeder drops to either left or right corner and you split step, then move and then lift to the back of the court. If you have a skilful feeder, they can introduce deception into their dropshot. If you can do this and also do lifts to around the doubles backline, then you are doing very well.

#4 Cheung, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Absolutely.