YONEX ASTROX 99 (AX-99)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by konww002, Jul 2, 2018.

1. magicaluni123

magicaluni123 Regular Member

ax99 easier to use

2. huynhaaron

huynhaaron Regular Member

I have a 3u version strung with aerobite @ 26lb. It weights 91.9 strung with original grip on.
    My usual rackets are BS12 and N9ii. The only Yonex racket I have left is a D10.

I feel like this racket is really really great for singles. What stood out to me was the feeling and control. Defense, net shots, shot placements are all really good. The rackets feels really good to use. In terms of feeling, you can instantly tell the quality of your shot and where it will go. I think the power is there but not for all out attacking/repeated smashes. As for the stiffness, the A99 is slightly stiffer than my D10. Definitely not as stiff as the ZF2 that I had.

From my first play with this racket, I imagine a patient/controlling player who values placement of the shots would absolutely love this racket.

3. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

Looks like this isn't very HH if the bp is around 310 factory grip. Can anyone get the bp of the 3u version with overgrip?

4. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

How does it compare with n9ii?

5. kit.tang

kit.tang Regular Member

Programmer
    depends on the following conditions:

- if you are coming off the VTZF2 (i have both 3U and 4U) -> go for AX99 4U
    - singles oriented player -> go for AX99
    - doubles oriented player -> front court: AX88 (D/S)
    - doubles oriented player -> back court: AX99/AX88D
    - if you need more power -> AX99

I have the AX99 4U4G and the weight and balance is close to the VTZF2 (although i played with the VT80 as well in the pas but that was 5 yrs ago, don't remember anymore but def too flex to my taste). the AX88 feels lighter and more stiff due to the weight distribution (less head heavy).

ratul_kai and Sleepydog like this.
  6. nopokecheck3

nopokecheck3 Regular Member

Despite the mixed reviews, I gave in and bought an AX99 4U yesterday. While I don't own an Ax88D, I can offer a comparison to my current racket, the AX88s 4U (occasionally I'd also play with a 3U), before this I have played with the n9ii. I can totally understand why some people call the AX99 a sledgehammer, the swing weight is very heavy compared to both my AX88s 4U/3U and n9ii, my arm was giving up after a 2 and a half hr session, leaving me desperately wanting to reach for my 88s.

Please note, today was only my first day with it, I am still trying to adjust to the swing weight. I'll try to update and leave a better review after one to two weeks with the AX99.

I am a doubles oriented play and so far I've found:
    -Clear were very powerful, I was surprised at the speed of every clear
    -Smash I had extreme difficulty with, probably because I came from the shorter 88s, but when I do get it right, it's steep but not as powerful as I'd hope. Again, this is most likely due to my swing speed with the head heavier racket.
    -Drop is by far my favorite with the AX99, I can really feel where the shuttle is going thanks to the weight, making it very accurate
    -Lifts were so-so, I much prefer lifts from both my AX88s (in terms of stiffness, the AX99 is only slightly stiffer than my AX88s)
    -drives, net play, and defense are all very sluggish compared to 88s and N9ii. There were many times where I saw the shuttle but couldn't get there on time to push/drive due to swing weight differences, missed many easy defense drive as well. But I believe this will come with time once I get used to the weight.

#766 nopokecheck3, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

Which string and lbs?

8. coolguy82

coolguy82 Regular Member

Yah I expected along lightness of 88s since all namd now, but somehow not that hollow bend and more like solid

9. huynhaaron

huynhaaron Regular Member

A99 has much better control for all the shots but the shots feel slower than n9ii. The A99 really does feel nice to hit around with though.
    N9ii wins out on everything else for a doubles game. It is much easier to use and faster in general (it doesnt feel like a 3u at all), I would say the power is more accessible especially in a fast game. If you like repeatedly smashing and playing fast, N9ii is better. If you like sitting in the back and placing shots, occasionally smashing, then A99 would be a better pick. For singles, a99 for sure.

Leo tan likes this.
  10. solid77

solid77 New Member

I have the 3u AX88D, and just played with the 4u AX99 today for about 30 minutes (mens doubles). I feel the AX99 feels just as "heavy" as the 3u AX88D and actually felt slower to me (I need some more play time with the AX99, I was still getting use to it), where as the 4u AX88S feels like a much faster racket. Shaft flex felt similar to the AX88D and the AX99 felt like it had a little more punch to it. IMO not to sure about the 4u AX99 with doubles just yet unless you're a primarily backcourt player. Maybe I'll change my mind after getting use to it more. Definitely a very nice racket for singles.

Update:
    I played with the AX99 for 2 more hours. I actually feel it's very slightly faster than my 3u AX88D, but slower than my 4u AX88S. Smashes definitely have more power than the 3u AX88D (same strings), they feel very strong and drop shots are definitely a tad steeper. I still feel this is a very strong singles racket, and probably a strong backcourt doubles racket. I don't have a 4u AX88D, but i feel it the 4u AX88D would edge this racket out for doubles backcourt. I would say i'm an intermediate player, so maybe the experience would be different for more advanced players.

#770 solid77, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Quentin11 and Astrox88SS like this.
  11. nopokecheck3

nopokecheck3 Regular Member

I totally agree with this. As a double oriented player I'd take my AX88s and n9ii over the Ax99 any day of the week. And Ax99 for singles (if I don't end up going for my n9ii instead ;)).

12. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

N9ii seems to be getting a lot of love lol

Leo tan likes this.
  13. Spawny

Spawny Regular Member

As a long time Yonex user and switched to Li Ning rackets recently, i will say that Li Ning has found a way to make their heavy 3U rackets move faster than other 3U's in the market, my N9ii weights at 101g with BG80 and an overgrip but still move much faster than any 3U rackets in the Yonex lineup but is also able to produce a lot or power in smashes.
    The thing about Malaysia is that we have access to multiple racket brands such as APACS, FLEET, PROTECH, (ALL UK BRANDS) and I feel that the 4U rackets of 88U & 88D just feels like an ordinary racket when you compare to the other brands, only the 3U models feels different from the rest, only 4U rackets that I have used from Yonex that actually feels different from the other brands are 80Etune, VTLF and and also the AX99.

14. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

VTLF stands for Voltric LD force ?

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Voltric Low Fat?

Cycril and Quentin11 like this.
  16. Spawny

Spawny Regular Member

Yup correct, not used to the acronym in the forum but I was referring to Voltric Lin Dan Force

17. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    VTLDF is not "acronym in the forum", it's the manufacturer's product code.

18. Astrox88SS

Astrox88SS Regular Member

speaking of VT-LDF how does it compare to the A99 both in 4u

any update from what was previously posted?

19. Kingsley90

Kingsley90 Regular Member

Watched China open 2018 yesterday. Looks like zhang bei wen(USA) to be the first female professional player to use AX99 in tournament. Looks fantastic on the smash and beating Ratchanok(Thai) who are sticking with her AX77.

Quentin11 likes this.
  20. kit.tang

kit.tang Regular Member

Programmer
    Hi I watched the match as well. she played well but the number of winners she hit with her AX99 didn't decide the outcome of the match. it was Ratchanok making too many unforced errors (a couple on service return already). No disrispect to her, she kept her cool and in the 3rd it was close a couple of times and she still came out on top. But then again her apponent made an unforced error again and let it slip.

dtjovan likes this.