XVIII ASIAN GAMES 2018 : Individual Event (23-28 August)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 22, 2018.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The rarity of the AG makes it a bit more important than BAC, however that is not what I said. I said the standards were higher (officials, challenges) and the competition is similar (regionally restricted, but more players from one nation allowed).

The WC is a better event in all regards and definitely worth more. It doesn't exclude the MS#1, just to give a current example ;) or LD, or other highly ranked 3rd players from one nation.

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Haha but he made it up with a lot of good winners at the end. At least he didn't cost them a gold medal.

melon94 likes this.
  3. Mate

Mate Regular Member

"Objectively", Superseries/BWF World Tours standard's and quality are higher than Olympics. I read that posts a lot two years ago. Was it from you?
    Fact, Lee Chong Wei win more Super Series titles than Lin Dan.
    Conclusion, Lee Chong Wei is better than Lin Dan?

Yoji likes this.
  4. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

hopefully this is just beginning for fajar/rian, they're the better pair for the most part of the game...and I feel like their playing style has more rhythm compared to minions. they're enjoyable to watch that's for sure.

melon94 and Yoji like this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The difference between the BWF tours or Badminton championship with Asian Games is the focus on the sport itself. While Asian Games not focusing on any sport but rather for the honor or medal winning numbers.
    If Badminton BWF or BAC tournaments were worse than AG then there is something wrong with BWF management.

stanleyfm and j4ckie like this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

They just have to keep winning first. Hopefully not just another short term major event peaking pairs.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As I said in a different discussion, you don't understand competition. Not everything is measured in money, especially not tournament importance. Money follows success, but doesn't define it in this context. Nobody gives a sh*t about some Tier 3 tournament, even though it gives prize money, whereas everybody cherishes WC and OG titles, which don't.
    Government incentives are another matter again and have no relation to this. If one nation gives athletes a bigger reward for silver than another gives for gold, was the loser more successful? Of course not.

An example that you might perhaps understand - the minions will be remembered for their success on the world tour, their titles and beating all before them in a given tournament, not for how much money they made. Nobody gives a sh*t, historically speaking.

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

ChinaOpen draw is today right?

9. wade

wade Regular Member

what I take from that md match, gideon is clearly behind skill wise compared to the other 3 players. fajar, rian, kevin all have really good shot quality, they know how to find the gap on the court.

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Then why you said its sentimental? Every tour is important. OG > AG and that is what it is. No need other reasons.

WC is only nice to have. Its just the same as 1 premium SS title and BAC? that tour that is held every year in Wuhan? No one gives about that. BAC is atleast 1/4 of AG.

11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

that's what comes to my mind when I watch that match :D

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

FajarRian plays like AhsanHendra, just at faster pace?

melon94 likes this.
  13. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

I'm sure they will, they already won their first ss earlier this year. just need some consistency. remember kevin/gideon in 2016 also pretty inconsistent pair despite winning 3 ss, they lost in 1st or 2nd round a lot. I hope fajar/rian can won some super 500/750/1000 tournament after this.

Yoji, It'sMeMeMe and melon94 like this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

That was probably why Marcus was paired with Kevin and albeit their game play. Kevin had to cover a lot for Marcus' lack of skills or shots quality. But Marcus can keep up with Kevin's pace and game quite well and his determination is quite admirable.

Steen commented on that too where Kevin often tried to snatch the shuttle from Marcus in many exchanges.

melon94 and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  15. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

yes!! I actually like their style of play more compared to kevin/gideon.

16. scanaryFolks

scanaryFolks New Member

I can't imagine if kevin and alfian become a pair

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

In that case, it is good news. Kevin/Marcus had too carry the burden for too long on their own. I am happy they won the gold after all they had done to save Indonesia's face in many tournaments.

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Maybe after Tokyo 2020 ;)

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Fajar is so fast and Alfian has this booming smash that will make minions and other pairs scrambling. To be fair, i feel minions were under the pump at that 22-22

They have improved so much. They were a pair that always hits the net when they were down. I remembered Fajri was so poor against Li/Liu at MalaysiaOpen 2017 despite winning the first game. They keep return service to net all the times.

melon94 likes this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Nah. The absolute main issue with the AG is the regional restriction and lack of standards, which the OG don't share.
    While one may argue that LCW has been more successful over time, being much more consistent, no one in their right mind will say he was the better player than LD. However, that is because LD won almost all important encounters, until Rio, and directly proved his stature in the most competitive tournaments.
    While and individual Super Series tournament may allow for more competition (no restrictions at all), the difference compared to the Olympics isn't huge as far as Top players being blocked from competing is concerned, and the rarity of the OG elevates it to a singular level. Also, the OG have a long, long history - unlike the AG. Badminton becoming Olympic was absolutely a huge deal for the sport, and probably had a significant influence on it becoming more successful financially.

Rarity alone does not make up for lowering the level of competition, however the OG don't lower the level a huge lot (although I'd still want 2-3 representatives per country regardless of ranking, not only when they're in the Top 16 or sth), and have high standards as a tournament, whereas the AG both lowers the level of competition by a huge margin and has bad standards (and lacks the OGs prestigious history).
    Now don't get me wrong, it is still a major, just not as important as the OG or WC. You just can't exclude 90% of the world and say that it's more important than a world title, even if you don't exclude as much of the top competition in the context of badminton, it's still a huge difference (Denmark alone would have several MS and MD entries in a true major).

Cunning Linguist likes this.