Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by xsakurax, May 25, 2014.

1. PugGuy

PugGuy Regular Member

My 5 cents worth of opinion.

Being OG silver medalists and former world no.1, I think it's a wrong choice of word to describe both of Goh/Tan as lacking in solid basics. If they are so, how do we describe the players ranked 100+ or worst? And how do you describe amateur players then? Being world class players and ranked within the top 10 in the world, they certainly have mastered the basics of badminton. Making mistakes doesn't mean lacking in basics. Lacking killer instinct or playing passively doesn't mean lacking in basics either. There are numerous other factors we have to look at as well :

a) Using the wrong the strategy against opponents - apart from the coach's guidance, players need to be able to analyse opponents' game and react accordingly. We need players who are thinkers, not just hard hitters or just running around chasing the shuttle like a bull. Every shot must be hit with purpose, just like playing chess.
    b) Lacking in stamina - it could also be their stamina level dropped since the World Super Series Final. All badminton players know once you're physically tired, you lack focus and therefore your shots go crazy, you can't hit right, your footwork and movement slows down, etc. More so when we lack strategic play and therefore the opponent gets to dictate the play and we just run around like mad dog and eventually gifting points easily.
    c) Injury - the least players want is getting hampered by injury. Then the physical handicap affects the player mentally as well.

PugGuy

visor likes this.
  2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I agree they do seem to have too many off days. They are both quite capable in the rear court but I feel that neither are great at the net. TWK is noticeably weaker at the net.

They're great to watch when they are on form but echoing what has already been said they are not consistent enough. But sometimes errors may not necessarily be down to the individual. How your partner plays can affect your performance as well.

GVS is the better of the two in the rear court, but I feel he is sometimes deprived of the opportunity to exploit this as TWK doesn't create enough opportunities to set up his partner. I sense that TWK is more comfortable smashing at the rear court, but whilst his smash is very good, it isn't quite as effective as GVS. All the best pairings have always had a great net player that forces the lift, be that LYD, CY, ZN, HS, KS, KKK etc... But with this pairing, there is clearly a lack of strong net/midcourt ability/presence - one that ensures your opponent fears you at the net.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    #203 Cheung, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    they are entered in the u.s open july 19th.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think it's too early to write off this pair, they are just going through a bit of rough patch for the time being.

Abu Tanki and racketman123 like this.
  6. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I hope so but they seems to be getting worse day by day. Actually, they are injured, so that is expected.
    I want to see them play more consistently and make less mistakes.

7. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

The repeat of Diamond pair is all I see.

8. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

except they not as good

9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

the Diamond pair start get fame as pair at their age of 21 and 19, while Goh/Tan start get fame as pair but just a one time wonder at their age of 26... thus the Diamond pair is better than the latter...

10. Carbonex_7

The discussion is not who is better but both pairs are following the set of destination path, a quick surge to the top and then a quick decline to the bottom. The V2 pair seems to have taken the steeper road though.

11. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

meanwhile .. one half of "diamond" (what does that mean anyway) pair is getting better and better

12. Master

Master Regular Member

13. LawrenceYONG

LawrenceYONG Regular Member

Pro
    Obviously this stunt is pointless.
    Their level keeps going down after the fluke Olympic silver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

muscle up m @$$, end up lose to mere low ranking Korean pair...
    looks like they gonna keep losing to any Korean pairs just like Koo/Tan having koreanphobia...

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Just watch the last half of the 2nd game. They reverted to classic Malaysian MD from recent years. When in doubt, lift.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

16. Carbonex_7

V2 should retire together with LCW, make way for the young. My eyes sore watching them crashed out in first round 7 out of 8 times after Olympic?

17. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

but but the young nowadays still unable to be as world beater, you go sea games where all the youngs are playing now, they still not yet stable as other countries players like China, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Denmark, Taiwan, Thailand, etc...

18. wanttoplaydaily

wanttoplaydaily Regular Member

So sad Malaysia no longer boleh.

19. Master

Master Regular Member

That KOR pair doesn't equal with low rank pair. Don't you know that Chung Eui Seok was former World Junior Championship with Shin Baek Cheol (2007)?

There will be no KOR phobia unless the proper word is having wrong tactic/game plan against KOR pair. So -if it's the case- the question should be addressed to their coach and their game analyst.

Cheung likes this.
  20. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Low rank korean pair is the pair pair in some country lol...