Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

durin match, LD wear Li Ning jersey, but carry Yonex racquets and wear Yonex socks & shoes...

2. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

COsODFBVAAEyNfu.jpg

pretty sure it looks orange from up close, LD custom VTZF2 ?

#6262 mikescully, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  3. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Ooh yeah, I forgot about the leaked white and red versions

4. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    VA did give him a hell of a fight but still the best from VA was not good enough to beat this living legend. Need to admit LD will be in a better shape before Rio

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't worry. He said it was a great feeling winning the JPN Open again after a lapse of 9 years (since 2006). At the post-match conference, he also expressed that at his current age (32) he's good for a few more years and hope to continue doing the nation proud.That, to me, implies he won't be retiring anytime soon after Rio'16.

I must say, at the JPN Open, Lin Dan gave me a huge surprise - in R1 he struggled to scrape through beating Son Wan Ho,next he inflicted another defeat on his archrival , Lee CW, for the umpteenth time, followed by stopping his younger colleague, Tian HW, who is eyeing his OG spot, then went on to avenge his defeats on Tommy Sugiarto in the semis and Viktor Axelsen in the final for a well-deserved, stunning victory.

That he could do so in such a short time after his recent lackluster form marked by a series of unprecedented early exits (twice in R1) in tournaments culminating in the WC flop - the nadir of his entire career so far - is stupendous, almost miraculous, especially heartening to see for a fan like me. I'd have thought he required at least couple of months to get his act together and set things right - to recover his drop in fitness and regain his considerably diminished motivation - the more so after having hit a slump should take much more than a few weeks minimum. But astonishingly he proved everybody, not just his detractors, wrong. How glad I am.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To add, the best part is if he continues to work on his fitness, his skills not in question at all, he can only get better, not necessarily to his awesome best a la Super Dan at Beijing 2008, anywhere near will do, even 90% is more than enough. The Living Legend continues to soar.

7. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    Don’t forget he has to also overcome other negative elements on the court such as the double service fault as well as the umpire’s yellow card for his alleged misconduct, even though Axelson’s intentional smacking of the net twice in the 2nd game and the tossing of his racket in the air was deemed as not punishable.

Other negative elements off the court would include the non-Sinocentric commentary by Gill Clark where she always seem to have less nice things to say about Lin Dan than Lee Chong Wei or Jorgensen for example. It somehow gives the listening audience a sense that one shouldn’t like to see another Chinese victory, so let’s shine more light on the other opponent instead - make them more human and appealing than the Chinese.

In her universe; excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better so long as one does not cross the line and dominate the sport like the Chinese do; particularly when 1.3b Chinese are monolithic.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    GC's sinophobia is blatant. She needs to be stopped. Somebody do something please.

9. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Very well said...Another one thing that annoys me to hell...is her always mentioning ''considered Greatest Ever by many,but not in my opinion"...ok,if he is not in your opinion,then no need to mention it everytime everymatch...I would prefer to watch Lin Dan's match without any commentary...

11. Shuttle Flash

Shuttle Flash Regular Member

Badminton Player
    Find more cool videos on our youtube channel
    [video=youtube;HkgeFNvxaow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkgeFNvxaow[/video]

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For me, most of the suspense, drama, and stirring moments occurred in the decider of the Lin Dan - Viktor Axelsen final showdown. After a disastrous start which led to Lin Dan being 3-11 down at the mid-game interval, my heart sank and thought it's game over for him, surely no-one could come back from such a hefty deficit of 8 points against a Viktor Axelsen who's playing the spectacular way he did in that match, not even a Chen Long or Lee CW I supposed, much less a Lin Dan whose current physical condition and form have hit rock bottom coming into the tournament.

Well, I shan't be presumptuous to elaborate any further what transpired as witnessed by all who watched it in the gymnasium, on TV and in the Internet. Suffice to say I am elated to have finally seen glimpses reminiscent of the Lin Dan I knew, Super Dan ! Way to go !

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks a lot, it's like watching the match from the VIP box or the coach's chair. In fact, I've watched all the Lin Dan's JO matches that are available on youtube but just couldn't find the one he played in R1 with Son Wan Ho, doubt there is; if only somebody has a private recording.

14. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    I love that angle for badminton. Great for perspective and watching footwork.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Much appreciate it,watching them is like reliving those tense moments and recapturing those thrilling scenes, breathtaking, awe-inspiring.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Needs getting used to, esp watching it from only one side. But great as a complement to the usual bird's-eye view.

17. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    True, but you see things you just wouldn't see in a bird's-eye view.
    This rally at 17-17 looks so much more incredible in this angle.

https://youtu.be/KsFJGM_URok?t=1360

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To learn from Lin Dan by watching his videos require understandinging his thought processes, his reading of the opponent's game and his anticipation ability - never an easy thing to do; otherwise LCW would have figured him out by now.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Agree, that's why I say it's complementary. Thanks again for posting the side-view videos.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good point. Especially, the second service fault in the 3rd set at 10-12 would probably rattle a lesser player. Kudos and testimony to Lin Dan's greatness for composing himself and getting it over with to eventually emerge victorious, considering he was under tremendous pressure clawing back from 3-11 down.