India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    Even i dont understand why scores were not updated

2. mtyce

mtyce Regular Member

"At this tournament their is a Match Control Team in attendance.
    Results are available on the BAC Tournament Software.
    Web streaming is done only at Super Series Level and some selected GP Gold Events.
    Regds
    Ajith Wijayasinghe
    Tournament Director"

Reply from the Tournament Director.
    He obviously has no clue what the match controller is doing or not doing :D

Everybody please write to him with cc to BWF
    ajithwij@hotmail.com

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Indian player review Srilanka IC and Indonesia SSP 2015

India's performance in Srilanka IC was better than Indonesia.
    India win Singles B. Sai Praneeth beat Sameer Verma 21-18 21-8
    and XD titles, Aparna/Vishnu beat Australia's Robin Middleton/Leanne Choo 15-21 21-17 21-13 :D

In Indonesia, Saina lost from a winning position to Wang Shixian in the quarters. She showed a lot of attacking skills, and doubles skills. She looks dangerous and a player who has the skills to grab titles.
    She looks good to go far in the world cup. Her mental frailties of wasting huge leads and throwing games from winning positions, remains a concern. She must play without fear and with confidence. Vimal by her side will help calm her nerves and just play to her strengths. :D

Kashyap lost to Momota in the semis. He played extremely well but faltered at crucial moments. He will get a second chance at the same venue in 2 months. This is a painful loss but he has time to reflect, train hard and come back. Given his history it will be a miracle if he does the impossible. Building mental toughness is best done at a young age before it becomes a demon. :eek:

Srikanth lost to Ginting Anthony in the second round. Momota showed how to beat him in front of a passionate crowd. Srikanth has a habit of losing to pretty much anyone and beating anyone. He has a lot of work on his skills, especially mental toughness and big match temperament. He will either surprise us with a medal at the World cup or exit early. He must look at Kashyap and grab titles when the opportunities arise or think of could have been. Age 18-29 or your prime years. The ones who mature early can win a lot,
    those who mature slowly or later win less. :)

Sindhu lost to Hsu(doubles player) in the first round. Saina showed how to play her. Sindhu also has a lot of work to be done. She needs to work on mental toughness, and all round skills. Her progress at the World Championship will depend on the draw as it will for the other players. :)

Jwala/Ashwini lost in the second round to Chinese pair Yu Yang/ZQ who made it to semifinals. They did well to make the second round beating a tough Chinese Taipei pair.
    Hsu/Pai They need a good coach to make any further progress. It would be an achievement to just make the quarters at the World cup. None of our doubles can be expected to get a medal. When Jwala retires in 2016 a void will be felt in WD. :eek:

I am stressing mental toughness, since this is a major stumbling block for all the Indian Badminton players. Each has varying levels of frailties. Kashyap has it the worst. It is too late to eradicate for him, but he might be able to overcome it in a few tournaments. He first needs to do it once! The top players win easy with mental toughness and on a regular basis. :D

4. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    'Need to tap talent in small towns'

http://http://www.deccanherald.com/content/482605/need-tap-talent-small-towns.html

EXCERPTS:

A champion sportsperson who pioneered a badminton revolution in the country will turn 60 today. Hailed as one of the greatest shuttlers to have played the game, Prakash Padukone, unsurprisingly, will be celebrating the milestone quietly with his close family and friends without much fanfare.

Looking back, how does it feel to be the pioneer of Indian badminton?

It feels great that I have played a part in the development of Indian badminton. From a minor sport, badminton has become a popular major sport with a lot of media coverage and exposure. The turning point for Indian badminton according to me would be my 1980 All England victory and we have never looked back since then.

Today, badminton in the country has taken wings in astounding fashion. Your thoughts...
    Indian badminton is currently at its peak with many good players on the horizon. The Sports Ministry has supported Indian badminton extensively in the last five years by organising camps and giving international exposure to our players which has played a major part in taking the sport to where it is today.

Not just Saina Nehwal but PV Sindhu, Parupalli Kashyap and K Srikanth have started to challenge the Chinese....

It’s a good sign that our singles players have started believing in themselves and have victories over all the top players, including the Chinese. The gap has narrowed and we are no longer afraid of the Chinese players. This is a good sign for the future of Indian badminton. The only point is that our players need to be more consistent in the future.

Plenty of potential medalists are part of the Olympic Gold Quest programme. What goals has OGQ set for Rio?

The goal for OGQ is to win as many gold medals as possible at Rio next year. It does not matter in which sport we get these medals from. We would be happy with at least a double digit tally of medals for our country. Incidentally, our medal tally at London Olympics in 2012 was six.

Your academy has groomed many talented young shuttlers. What further plans do you have in mind for the academy which is so close to your heart?

Over the last 20 years Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy has produced many stalwarts and currently we are focusing more on the junior and sub-junior talent. We have some promising youngsters in the academy especially in the boys singles who have the potential of doing well internationally in the next five years. Going forward, we will continue to support junior talent in the country. The future is bright for Indian badminton with a pool of talented players waiting in the wings to take over from the seniors.

Despite being a path-breaker, are there any unfulfilled dreams on court?

I would like the game to grow even further in the years to come, especially in the tier-2 and tier-3 cities. There is a lot of talent in smaller towns which needs to be spotted and groomed. Many of the future champions are likely to emerge from these smaller towns and cities. On the whole Indian badminton is looking up and has a bright future.
    DH News Service.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I know a 8 year old boy who wants to play badminton and hopefully make it pro.Where to send him?Will Gopichand Academy accept him?Money is no issue by the way.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

This week i visited an academy situated in green park for an 8 year old boy as he wanted to join.But i was shocked when i saw good 20,22 years old players don't know how to do a jump smash when i asked them after training was finished.The coaches are doing tons of drills but when saw a match of u-18 boys category.. my goodness,the players have no thinking ability.Seems like coaches have taught them to continue the rally until lifetime.accuracy and deceptiveness seems to be out of dictionary for the two playing.A very disappointing experience.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The road is long. The way to start off is whether they teach basic strokes correctly. And you don't necessarily need a very "famous" academy for this, just a good one. Thinking on court is quite a step up but as your charge is only 8, does he have the basic strokes and movement to carry out such tactical plans? Can a 8 year old comprehend?

At 8 years old, the main things to examine are an interest/passion in the game (and mixing with peers) more than talent. Strokes can be taught but it takes time and very important is a patient parent and patient parental peers. Children develop at different rates so a very good physically developed 10 year old might be surpassed by the age of 14. You might even think of changing academies at any stage of training. It's something that can happen so I advise not to be fixated on one academy. I myself look for good basic stroke training. Many kids drop out so do keep a perspective of the whole picture.

It would be a different set of requirements at different ages.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Yeah,thanx for the advise.By the way,the child is not in my charge.You are correct,the passion at such a tender age is difficult to judge.But whenever i or his father play with him,he never says dude enough for today or i am now tired and only stops when we think it's time to stop.Money is not an issue and his father can sacrifice or adjust his studies if required more dedication towards the game.So,i just needed to know some decent or little reputed academy where main aim is to make him a better player and coaches put dedication towards him rather than a money collecting setup with no aim whatsoever.

9. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    PGBA only accepts multi-time national level tournament champions.... If he is insistent on PGBA, send him to Arif Sir's academy and let him win at least 3-4 titles at the sub-junior level before even applying to PGBA.... He will be turned down initially like everyone else (like even Srikanth was), but if he is good, PG's scouts will himself contact him and poach him from Arif.

And if he prefers an easy way out, PPBA/TJBA/DBBA/MBBA are options.

10. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Assuming the kid is from Delhi, you can take him to MV Bisht Academy, while it won't produce national champions (for that he compulsurily has to be in Hyd); it is good enough for state and zone.

11. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    Sir, you know a lot. Is that real that PGBA wont accept talents anymore unless you have some medals in your hands?

12. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Clearly the kid is passionate and has stamina.... Reminds me of what I read about 5 year old Leander who was too short to play in a tennis court and so used to practice his shots against a wall for 6 hours every day.....

The academy I will recommend the most at this stage is Arif's, since money is not an issue.... Till the sub-junior level; his is the most successful academy in the country....
    However the kid is only 8 and living away from his parents at such a tender age and adjusting to a new city will be a very tough process....
    Are his parents willing to move with him like Harvir and Ramanna???
    Probably the beat solution for him will be Bisht Academy at Delhi for a year or 18 months, while he tries and wins a few tourneys to catch the eyes of the bigger academies.....
    Eventually, if he wants to succeed as a pro he needs to move to HYD, there are around 50 odd academies in the Andhra-Telengana region (which have dominated the nationals for the past 2 decades) which are better than MVBA, the best in Delhi.

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Name one prospect other than P Gayathri, P Vishnu and Mukesh Kumar's daughter who haven't been turned down by PGBA.... Talent is the key, not early results.... But multiple time champions have been denied admission as well.... Read TS Sudhir's regular articles about the academy's admission process.... Srikanth was denied as well initially (and he had already won few events).

One has to put things into perspective....

PGBA is neither a school for starters (Arif's academies are);

nor is it

a grooming school for good players (TPBA or TJBA are in some aspects)

What it is is an elite high performance centre for proven champions where the very best get chosen to train (only for the duration while they stay at thei best).

Entry into NDA or NCA is far easier than into PGBA.

#673 Fan123, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  14. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    I would appreciate if you guide me with some links what you are referring to. I wanna know it . It's a news to me.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I would have been very surprised if a national academy trains children from a beginner level. And there needs to be some criteria for entry.

16. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    Sounds reasonable. But still....

17. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/brunc...chand-s-champions-going/article1-1331182.aspx
    http://www.firstpost.com/sports/the...at-the-pullela-gopichand-academy-1199827.html
    http://www.outlookindia.com/article/the-union-territory-of-badminton/287428

Haven't re-read any of these for ages.... But you can find references to PGBA turning out droves of novices daily, without even giving them a trial....

The National Cricket Academy at Bangalore or Chennai's MRF Pace Academy won't accept 8 year olds, there are clubs for them....

Would you imagine National Defence Academy at Pune training 8 year olds??? What will be the purpose of Sainik Schools then....

BTW the latter was an extreme example, sub-juniors are trained at PGBA; but only the elite; and they participate internationally.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Thanks guys,all the above information has been delivered to his father.Special thanks to Fan 123 for providing valuable information.Good news in this case is that father is even more interested to make him the next Lin Dan...ok Lord Kashyap than the son who politely does what ever his father asks and himself admires great players and talks to me about the game.So,let's him all the best.His name is Aryan Vashisth by the way incase you see someone with his name winning olympic gold in 2030 or something like that.Thanx,once again.

19. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    OMG. That's the only high end badminton academy in our country. They need to really open up multiple centres soon. Thanks for the links. I appreciate it.

20. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Lets hope Aryan Vashisth is the next Lin Dan/Rudy Hartono and not El Chokador/DerChokemeister...
    I am sure Lakshya Sen (India's #1 sub-junior, acknowledged by both PP and PG as better than even themselves at the same age and yet not good enough for PGBA) deserves company at the top.