Are you flat-footed?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Sep 12, 2003.

?

Are you flat-footed?

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    orthotics

Yeah I realised I had flat feet after seeing an orthopedist (whatever he's called). Anyway the flat feet apparently is the culprit for my extreme back pain (together with my scoliosis, S-shaped spine). I was lucky that the flatness hadn't gone into the extreme where nothing else can be done.

I wear a pair of orthotics now (was very expensive in Canada, C$400--about S$200 in Singapore). It's just shoe inserts made from plastics and customised for yr feet. I have no more pain when I am running long distance.

My friend got away just with those generic gel shoe inserts you can find from many sport stores (Dr Scholl's stuff).

But I don't see it as helping my badminton :)...was kinda hoping though.

But I have to carry those orthotics when buying a new pair of shoes. And not so many places in Asia (Singapore) to get customised shoes. The "New Balance" store in Canada (Toronto) have those for flat feet, wide feet, or whatever feet you have. Their court shoes I heard are very nice too.....

Aki

2. jtdy69

jtdy69 New Member

I'm flat-footed. I have been playing active badminton for a little over a year now. A few months ago, I started taking up advance badminton training and usually experienced pain in my arch after doing a couple of drills. I tried looking for badminton shoes designed for flat-footed athletes but to no avail. I also have come acrossed the "flat-foot insole" but haven't tried it yet. Anyone who has used this product? Can it help with my arch-pain problem? Can anyone recommend a good badminton shoes that best fits flat-footers?

Thanks!

3. muzikfreakah

muzikfreakah Regular Member

I have the same problem any recommendations anyone?
    Actually my arc is up when im sitting down and me feet arent touching the ground, but when I stand up, they still go flat. When I move back-left to hit a shuttle, I have hard time because my left foot tils outwards. also my right foot is albeit lower than my left about half an inch giving me slight back pains sometimes.. but this I love badmnton and this isnt going to stop me from playing :-D

Are there any special shoes out there?

#83 muzikfreakah, Dec 8, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  4. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

GOSH! when i voted in the poll, i had entirely misunderstood the question! (now i realise! :eek: :mad: ) i was thinking of 'flat-footedness' as just an expression to mean the player is not on constant move about the court in chase of the shuttle. well, it's the term my father always uses when he reprimands me on my stone figure when on court :eek:.. but i think i've set my mentality right now and am dy-ving for every shot :D

my apologies for messing up the poll! i have normal feet :eek:

5. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

im REALLY flat footed...to tell u the truth...even after i got my orthodics (the cheap dr sholl ones) i couldn't see a BIG amount of change in my athletic abilities...i just felt a little more bouncy on the court and i could control my rythm better....so yeh...

6. jtdy69

jtdy69 New Member

Sprain & Flat-foot???

Guys,

Are flat-footed people like me more prone to injuries like anke sprain? I hve been playing badminton for over a year now and as of today I have had 3 ankle sprain already. Does anyone here have any articles to contribute regarding this matter?

Thanks!

7. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

I was out injured recently for a couple weeks with a knee problem, which I'm told was caused by the fact that my fallen arches resulted in too much pressure on my knee. The recent increase in the amount of training I did must have just put that little bit extra strain on my knee I guess. I got prescription insoles and I should be fine now. I would advise anyone who thinks they may have flat feet to get it checked out. It can be solved very easily and it's not worth getting injured.

8. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    well i'm flat footed as well but the best way is to try to stand on the balls of your feet. I know tat its not as easy but after doing a lot of jumping exercises, you'll notice it. The only way to overcome this is just always trying your best and keep going since theres no other way. As for the ready stance, just get into a position that feels comfortable since there is real right way for flatfooters from my view

9. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    nope I disagree that flat foots are prone to ankle injuries yadidadida....
    However I do agree they have less shock absorbance and prone to more back injuries compared to normal people....
    I am extremely flat footed and big foot too... (size 12 and I am 177cm only...)
    I never experience any leg problem... but I have an extremely soar back from time to time.....

10. redrooster

redrooster Regular Member

student
    i'm a very flat footed person but i do not think it affected my movements in anyway. i do think, your feet starts to feel great pain from standing more than an hour straight without resting your feet:D

11. Greasemonkey

Greasemonkey Regular Member

R.E Estate Full-Time and Part Time Computer Dood
    I don't think flat foot should matter because aren't you on your toes and heels all the times anyways during the games?

12. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Nope it does matter..... because the arch is virtually touching the floor.... and your foot is naturally pronated (bend inwards) all the time... So I guess if your muscles are weak then you are prone to great injuries to your ankle and knee...

13. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    yeah i agree, i dont think flat-footed people are hindered in terms of movement but i believe it does take up more energy. Personally, (without sounding arrogant) i am a relatively good mover - so my coaches tell me and i am flat-footed. Its the same with table tennis, as i play for the county and my movement (which is very important) isnt affected at all.

BUT. it is still true that some countries wont accept you at a professional level and the militaries generally do the same. :crying:

14. Greasemonkey

Greasemonkey Regular Member

R.E Estate Full-Time and Part Time Computer Dood
    Wish the US military will not accept you because you are flat footed

15. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    You wish that? why?

16. Alastair

Alastair Regular Member

Yup I'm flatfooted alright... But I've been trying to walk like a normal person (I'm not syaing that flatfooted people are abnormal but like walk like people without flat feet) and I'm kinda getting the hang of it lol...

17. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Dr. Levy's book is great

My wife and I have been using his book for 8 or 9 years now. As a flatfoot myself (not severe, I just have a lower than normal arch), I have never noticed any problem traceable to my arches. Dr. Levy's account of flat feet match my experience exactly.
    BTW, I'd recommend his book for almost any athlete. There's a lot that is relevant to badminton players, including the sections on sports injuries and the excercises that can help prevent them.

18. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Regular Member

Heres a test.....get a brown paper bag, the kind you find at a grocery store. Wet your foot...dont soak it, just make sure its moist. Then step on the paper bag. You can see from the impression if ure flat footed or not. If youre normal, there'll be a curve in the middle.....if youre flat, there'll be a round print like a shoe print.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I was born flat-footed. This was never a problem in the many sports I played when I was young. From young, I was at various times the school champion sprinter, 100 x4 relay runner, long jumper, hop-step-jump competitor, high jumper, school player in soccer, cricket, field hockey, and rugby union-but not badminton as I deemed it too sissy at that time. I even played division 2 soccer in Melbourne. Despite my flat foot I was told I had flexible feet. But that was ages ago. After almost 5 decades my cartilage in my knees doesn't lubricate anymore. In fact in one knee it is almost gone. :crying:

20. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

I happen to have a flat foot too, I don't get back aches from playing badminton though. But do get it when running long distance, even though I'm running on the ball of my foot. Should I wear a heel cup and ball of feet cups?