The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    still wondering WHY switched off the air cond during the Men's single final?

2. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

It was a dream MS Final between LCW & LD.
    If all factors remain constant in the stadium throughout the match, this will be another fantastic match like London Olympics 2012, and LD would have won with no "complaints" from observers.

LCW won the 1st set, and seems to be in cruise control for this match against LD. Suddently in the 2nd, I am surprise LCW made so many judgement errors (which is very unusual), and thats when we heard the commentator GC said the aircon could be switched off (when LD is playing 2nd set in the disadvantage court due to the drift which will impact his lifting accuracy to the back court).

Say that I am a paranoid, but I noticed LD took a lot of opportunities to drink water as compared to LCW. . . . Did LD knew something which LCW does not know?

In other situations, when stadium lights are off, or when rain water leaks onto the court, the match is stopped to rectify. So, why is it that when the aircon "broke down", the match is allowed to continued?

Add-on to this Championship being played in China, all suspicions are pointed against "China" for "maximising" advantage to allow LD greater chance to win.

This is another bad "sportmanship" and put badminton in a bad light again, given that this event is beamed Live to millions of audience world wide.

I feel for LCW, as I think this may be his best chance to get the World Championship title that eluded him.

3. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

Malaysia is a hot and humid country, so by right the condition suits lcw better if it is hot.

4. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    you should try playing on a super hot day in malaysia man...head feels like exploding lol

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If AC is the only complaint, then it is a lame excuse.

But it seems the whole dawn system is against LCW:

(a) BWF granted wild card to LD, who hasn't played for 8 months. He was ranked 286 last night.
    (b) LD played against CL in the afternoon the day before in the semi.
    (c) LCW played DuPY at 11pm the night before in the semi.
    (d) AC was off during a crucial moment.

If only one or two of the above happened, i think it would have been a lame excuse per se. But all of the above happened; you call that bad luck?

#65 pcll99, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  6. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    refer to the game, i think LCW has tried to adapt the atmosphere without a/c until LD lead him 11-1 on the second set.

7. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    can i add one more?

(e) a few ridiculous judgments line call favor to LD ( 1 or 2 still acceptable but 5 or 6? and no replay on TV)

Btw, DLCW can take a rest for whole 2 years without participating in any tournaments, take a full recovery and fitness, don't care whether his ranking 300 ++ or 400++ he still can play using wild card.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think BAM should launch a formal protest to IOC. All these (when added together) are not mere coincident.

9. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

Sickened by all these ridiculous AC accusation, I went back to review the game. It appears to me that the drift was never there in the first game. I dare anyone to show me a point that was affected by the drift. Even at 3:5 where GC claimed that the side drift carried the bird out, I do not see any there, since the previous stroke by LD was just fine. My guess is the AC was turned off before their game started.

10. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    i get your point there .... just little bit defensive because i'm malaysian .... haha

btw, even though there is no issue happened, looks like LCW still struggling to beat LD anyway.

BAM .... please develop and create another LCW

11. thekong

thekong Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but for such a big stadium, just opening and closing of different exit doors may affect the drift. Also, sometimes the air-con would be turned up or down due to the increase and decrease of audience, which could also affect the drift. World class players like LD and LCW should be able to adapt to these changes quickly!
    If the air-con was the deciding factor (talking about drift here), why would LCW, on the supposedly better side of the court during the first half of game 3, led by 10-7 (or something like that) but ended up trailing LD at 10-11 during the break?
    Being said that, I agreed that the air-con should not be changed at the middle of the game. However, there doesn't seem to be any concrete prove that was indeed the case.
    Armed with the hide-sight that LCW had muscle cramp in the end of the game, my theory is:
    · LCW probably had not fully recovered after the gurgling 3-setter with DPY
    · LCW drove himself hard, maybe too hard, to take the game 1. It was quite clear that he tried to take the offensive most of the time, and ended up spending way more energy than LD.
    · In game 2, LCW might had started to worry, or even sense, the drain of energy, and wanted to play a slower game. After LD pulled away for a few points, LCW probably had decided to give up game 2, conserving energy for game 3. After 12-1, not sure if it was intentional on LD’s parts, he gave some easy points to LCW to keep his hope up, and asserted more energy trying to catch up.
    · In game 3, leading at 10-7, LCW lost a bit of his nerve, or due to the energy drain, lost 4 straight points to LD before the break.
    · LD’s new play style was probably too gurgling for LCW after the 3-setter with DPY the day before. However, this is simply a part of the game, and LYB probably had no say on the game schedule. After all, NTM has a similar world ranking and play style as DPY, so it is probably as fair as it gets!

12. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

Maybe next time Malaysia should bring its own air conditioners when having a tournament in China :p

Seriously while badminton fans all over the world are awed by the exceptional performance and the level of understandings of badminton shown by both players, you guys are crying like babies (Mommy, he got a candy with a fancier wrap than mine. Mommy, the air conditioner is not the same brand that I am used to at home. Mommy, uncle line judge did not like me:crying:).

If BAM listened to you guys and filed a protest, it will become an instant laughing stock. Fortunately they know better, and LCW knows better. Train harder, find smarter strategies, and be the winner next time.

13. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    hahahahahhaha

i think we should put a stop over here no more complaining a/c turned off, ridiculous line called bla bla bla

what we want is the next generation of LD and LCW who can fascinate us with new variations of badminton game and we could feel entertain.

These 2 guys getting older and older especially LCW, malaysian people should stop put such a big burden on his shoulder.

14. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

On the bright side lcw won most of the price monies from the super series and being world no. 1 for so long. He can take these as compliments but without the majors. In this world one cannot have everything.

15. wofente

wofente Regular Member

That's nonsense. Check Gill Clark's comment at 39:55 (when it was 3-0 in the 2nd game): "it does seem very very hot here". The 1st game ends at 35:20, If AC were shut off during the 1st game interval, how could the temperature rise so quickly within merely a couple of minutes? The fact is, it was shut off before the start of the match to minimize drift and it got hotter the longer the arena was packed with audiences.

16. ahchu5

ahchu5 Regular Member

engineer
    my friend was there yesterday match.......he mentioned it's true ...they turn off d air con in the second game LD vs LCW.....terrible hot....he also sweat:mad:

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Lee Chong Wei coach blames air-con cut-off in loss to Lin Dan[/h]
    http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/1296095/lee-chong-wei-coach-slams-air-con-cut-loss-lin-dan

EXCERPTS:

National singles coach Tey Seu Bock lashed out over a decision to shut off the air conditioning during the second game of the final. The move followed earlier complaints that the venue was too drafty.

Lee was among those who mentioned the draft earlier in the tournament.

“A defeat is a defeat. I can accept it but I cannot tolerate the organisers switching off the air conditioner in the second game,” Tey was quoted.

He said Lee became dehydrated, causing him to suffer cramps.

“It was so hot inside... This is not right. The players were suffering. At one point, Chong Wei was struggling to breathe,” Tey said.

18. wofente

wofente Regular Member

Several of my friends were there, telling me it was already hot during MD and got hotter in MS towards the end.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Malaysian coach can appeal for that. They should have asked everybody before switching off the air condition. Have they asked anybody before doing this ??

20. wofente

wofente Regular Member

Tey Seu Bock was just looking for excuses ... such a bad loser... much worse than his player. He probably realized during the second game that the AC was off, but it was actually turned off far earlier.