The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Its quite ludicrous that here I am talking about the air condition of the badminton stadium at the WC2013. I guess does anyone know what prompted the Chinese officials to turn it off midway during the men singles finals after the first game?

Seems like a freaking odd thing to do in the middle of a match. Not here to take LD's glory away or anything, he's God in badminton, dont doubt it.

#1 gelee, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. betazone

betazone Regular Member

this is called cheating...but cheaters dont always get punished though

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Not sure what you heard, I believe the GC said they received confirmation in the middle of the match that the air conditioning was turned off, not turning off in the middle of the match.

I have no first hand information either way. But the following report says that the air conditioning was turned off since the semi-finals. However, due to a smaller crowd on Saturday, the heat during the semi-finals was not as unbearable as that during the finals.
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-11/20096718708.shtml

GC was way too quick to jump on the scandal bandwagon, or at least misled the audience that way. What a shame:mad:

4. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

I feel bad for the sour losers, you just need to try hard to find another excuse. The AC was already off in the semi finals because of the complaints from the players.

5. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    What you're suggesting RedShuttle is simply not true. In fact I believe it is a deliberate lie. You can ask all the foreign players of the first four finals about the playing condition. All of them will confirm there was a drift.The aircondition was turned off either before the MS started or after LCW had won the first game. Now why would anyone turn it off? It was so hot and humid in the hall. Well I'll tell you. Because Lin Dan needed to cheat to beat LCW.Had the aircon not been turned off Lin Dan would have lost.That little respect I had left for LYB is gone. Totally gone. The guy is a fraud and a cheater and my respect for LD is also gone. That Gold medal belong to the Datuk!

6. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I'm not suggesting that the air cond was turned off to unsettle LCW but it was turned off today and right at the time that the match was going on. GC was not the only one noticing as long time malaysian badminton journalist rajes paul was in the stadium and confirmed. The stadium suddenly got hotter. Well, I'm not sour that LCW lost...in fact I predicted that he will lose and was expecting him to lose. Just saying that it was quite evident as all the drift just disappeared during the 2nd game.

7. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    Well that's another lie

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    they should have the air con turned on.

Although drift is an important consideration, the safety of the players is paramount. The comfort of thousand of people is also relevant.

9. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

How dumb am I trying to rationalize with believers.

10. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    you're already dumb enough not to believe it because everybody in the stadium noticed it

11. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

how dumb for someone to believe in you without any factual proves.

12. mo han

mo han Regular Member

WOW :D
    [​IMG]

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Whether the A/C was switched off at midgame or not, it really doesn't matter ..... players are not victorious or get themselves beaten by A/Cs (or lack of A/Cs, whatever). Why is it that for every major final involving LD and LCW .... there are always threads such as these?

We should not belittle Lin Dan's victory, just as we should not insult LCW's fighting qualities even in defeat (whether thru injury or not). The A/C being switched off does not make Lin Dan's strokes more accurate or LCW less capable ..... each player had to adapt by himself.

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Why has your respect for Lin dan gone? It's not like Lin dan had any part this:D

The drift had been ruining quite a few games, Jan O never got use to it:). It should have been turned off, if it wasn't dangerous of course. No idea when it was turned off, Lcw didn't seem to struggle with length in the first so I assume it was before the match started anyway.
    The stadium would get gradually hotter not instantly.

15. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei retires hurt to give 'wildcard' Lin Dan record 5th world badminton title

Guangzhou, China: Chinese superstar Lin Dan took the badminton world title for a fifth time Sunday after his arch rival Lee Chong Wei was stretchered off the court in the third game.

The current world number one from Malaysia dropped to his haunches at 19-16 down and then tried to recover.

But he had to retire from the match at 20-17 -- leaving Lin, who is world and Olympic champion, to take the title 16-21, 21-13, 20-17.

"It would appear that he suffered some cramps and he has subsequently been taken to hospital," said Gayle Alleyne, communications manager for badminton's world body the BWF at a press conference after the match.

Lee had been hoping to end a run of high-profile defeats at the hands of Lin -- widely regarded as the game's best-ever player -- who beat him in the previous world title men's singles final and in the two last Olympic finals. Lin also became the first player to win five world badminton championship men's singles titles.

Lin, 29, known as "Super Dan", was making his comeback at the tournament with a controversial wildcard place after a year on the sidelines to spend time with his family. He was the world number 286 when he came in to the tournament while Lee is world number 1.

The two badminton legends put on a brilliant display in the first set in front of a packed Tianhe gymnasium in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou.

"Both Chong Wei and I did a good job -- it's a pity he could not last until the end," Lin said after the match.

"He got this cramp out there and it reminded me of my training -- when you have that, you cannot move at all. From that moment we were not opponents any more. I really wanted to help and I went over to ask if he was OK. He didn't want to give up."

Lin's victory sealed a day in which China won only two of a possible four medals after sweeping all the titles at the last two world championships and at the London Olympics.

"If I had lost we would only have won one gold medal and it would have been embarrassing," said Lin. "The good thing is I'm not the head coach."

Lin took an early lead against Lee, leaving the crowd gasping with an almost involuntary lightning reflex return at the net to go 5-3 up. The return was so quick that he hardly seemed to know about it himself.

Lee got back on level terms but Lin got the better of a titanic rally to go into the break leading 11-10.

The two stayed neck and neck, showing off their best badminton -- a nimble Lee leaping around the court and Lin moving fluidly often at full stretch to reach the Malaysian's well-placed shots.

Lee pulled ahead with Lin berating himself after putting a return long to go behind 14-18, and the Malaysian capitalised to take the first game.

[​IMG]Lin came out fighting in the second, romping to a merciless 11-1 lead with Lee leaving shots to go long that dropped just in.

As the temperature soared in the stadium with the air conditioning seemingly off during the second game, the crowd fanned themselves furiously and Lee battled to catch up, but Lin took the second 21-13.

Lee came out fighting in the third game with the temperature in the stadium still roasting hot. Lin winced as he hit the net again to drop 4-8 behind.

But the defending champion battled back with precision shots to the baseline, sailing past Lee to go into the break 11-10 up.

Lin went 19-16 up in the third with a smash down the line and Lee crouched down on his haunches.

Lee's legs were sprayed by a doctor called onto the court, and he won the next point with lightning returns before dropping to the floor again in the middle of the next point.

The crowd shouted his name in encouragement and Lin went over to his opponent's side of the court to speak to him.

But the umpire announced the Malaysian was retiring injured at 20-17, leaving a shirtless Lin to celebrate while Lee was stretchered off.

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...ingles-title-after-lee-chong-wei-retires-hurt

I think it was off during the 2nd set but i am not sure how the air con will affect the match =X

#15 xsakurax, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  16. betazone

betazone Regular Member

there you hv it the air-con is turn off. this is FACT.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said, can't agree with you more.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And it affect both players.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What are you talking about?

It said the air con was "seemingly off" in the second game not that it had just been turned of that moment. So no facts yet(but maybe).

The point is if it was turned off before the match even started, if it was then this is a complete non discussion.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, that's what I'm about to say but you beat me to it.