This wonderful place called VRC

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by cappy75, Sep 2, 2004.

1. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    what's the danger room?

2. Project84

Project84 Regular Member

ok cappy, i will ask my friends and see if they want to drop in as a guest, i dunno what level we're at but we've been playing drop-ins ever since feb.
    we're all 20 years of age

timeless, i tried out at langara and i must admit they are really good. and i dont think i wouldve made it, i ddint go to the second try out :p
    also i wanted to ask, what kind of difference is there from drop in places compared to vrc? i dont expect a cheerful atmosphere just i dont want any cocky players or whatnot
    and my final question, can i bring plastic shuttles?

thanks for answering all my questions everyone! :D

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Project84,

So you and your friends have only been playing badminton since February of this year (roughly 9 months)? If so, I can see why it would have been rough at the Langara tryouts. Don't let it get you down though, everyone has to start somewhere. The guys who will make it on the Langara team have all been playing badminton for quite a few years already.

The differences between drop-in @ community centers vs VRC membership? Honestly, there are too many differences to name. However, the main differences are, at VRC you can play as long as you want as an adult member, whereas most community centers only offer badminton in 2 hour blocks. And also VRC is a club, so you're paying for a membership which allows you full usage of the club facilities, and by far the best courts in the lower mainland. At community centers, you pay as you play, and the rest you already know. The rest of the differences vary, and truly depend on your perspective. Finally, I'll add that if you want to practise with friends, as opposed to playing games, you won't be able to do that at community centers. It's almost impossible. At VRC, if you have a flexible schedule, there are plenty of opportunities to practise with friends.

To be brutally honest, there isn't a "cheerful" atmosphere anywhere in the lower mainland. The only cheerful atmosphere I've ever experienced was playing at a school gym rented out by a senior citizens group at 6AM in the morning! They were all lined up doing Tai-Chi while the rest were playing badminton. Don't ask how I got roped into that :p. Also, you'll find at least one cocky bastard in every place... it's like an unwritten rule of thumb, and VRC is no exception. Fortunately, for most places, the number of friendly players exceeds the number of cocky ones. However, this again is a matter of perception. The worse you are at badminton, the number of cocky players you'll run into seems to increase exponentially. And reversely, the number decreases as you improve. What a wonderful community you're getting into eh? :p :D ;)

You're welcome to use plastic shuttles at VRC. However, you better have 4 in your group because 99.9% of VRC badminton members use feather and will not use plastic. This is strictly a matter of preference and nothing else. It's like asking ice hockey players to choose between a ball or a puck. The 0.1% that use plastic are the very few junior beginner players who are learning to play the game. Don't be embarassed if you and your friends wish to use plastic though. Everyone understands it is economically practical to use plastic, especially when starting out because the plastic shuttles simply last longer. However, once you improve and move on to feather, you most likely won't go back.

Hope this answers your questions. It would be best to field any more you may have when you drop in.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Right on, timeless:)! Project84, if you intend to bring three other friends with you, I will try to find other members willing to sign you guys in. However, some of you may have to pay more as there might not be enough guest passes to go around. In addition, each guest will be subjected to different duration of stay at the club depending on the members who sign them in:(.

Also, it'll be great if you guys could chip in for at least a tube of good quality feather shuttles to share. That way, you could get in some games with other members and get a better gauge of the general skill level. Most, if not all, club regulars play strictly with feathers. The way things work around VRC is... four players chip in one feather shuttle each for a game. At the end of the game, they could decide to finish their current supply of shuttles (if there's any leftover) in subsequent games or toss the shuttles to see who gets the remaining ones. With your own stock of feather shuttles, you won't have to impose upon other players to put in more than their share (fastest way to ensure that they won't have another game with you:D). You can bring plastic shuttles, but don't expect too many club members to jump in for a game with you:p.

Please read up on some of the earlier threads in the Western Canada subforum to get a better feel of the club environment.

#84 cappy75, Oct 4, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  5. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Yes..and I am one of those cocky players, I will get in your face and trash talk and do all sort of weird stuff to make you feel uncomfortable, so be prepared!!

6. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Danger room, the room where one man is able to travel at mach speed on a bike, thus making the room very very extremely dangerous for other people using it.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    So you are the lunatic who can do more than 180 rpm on the bike! :) I am getting old :crying:

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, this is my fourth day in China. Managed to play at La Salle tonight. Met up with Cheung but he was busy with his group. Saw Sean and Eddie and played a game with them. Sean wondered how much improvement SB and timeless made the last time he was in Van? He will be very surprised when he meets up with SB the next time! Ha ha ha

9. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Project84, don't worry. All you have to do is get in smashingbird's face more than he gets in your face and begin trash talking before he even says anything.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Nod, a good defense is to have a better offense :D

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LOL, a chinese mike tyson
    Do you bite too?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Shiiiiiiii, not so loud Besides, it's all work and no baddie.

nice kind of work u got there, wish i can have those kind of work :eek:

13. speed78

speed78 Regular Member

No, a barking "BOY" does not bite!:D

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Owww! That burns:p! You gonna let that stand, SB:D?

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Gentle reminder

some of the posts are going off topic;)

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Project84,

Please check your pm regarding drop-in at the club:).

17. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    BTW, looks like Viver will be dropping in this Saturday as well! So let's get as many people in our group out as possible to make it worth his while! :)

18. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Hooray! I'm planning on dropping in this Saturday too! Hopefully someone can sign me in. One of my regular sparring partners from Ottawa (who is also from Vancouver) is also in town so I'm trying to convince him to come out too.

I missed all the large gatherings last time but hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some more BFers.

19. Project84

Project84 Regular Member

ok thanks a bunch guys
    really appreciate the replies
    i guess ill have to bring some feather birdies
    its just my buddy keeps beating the **** outta them and we're already sick and tired of getting tubes after tubes
    haha

cappy ill let you know
    and thanks very much timeless

smashingbird, ill be sure to play some games with/against you haha

20. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Well this isn't a BF meeting ... YET hahaha~

If anyone else wishes to join us, please contact a VRC-BF member to see if they're available to sign you in this Saturday.:)