fastest way to string a racket.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Heftiforex

Heftiforex Regular Member

how do you make the knots without loosing to much tension? atm for me, every knot is a new experiment :-O

2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    increase by 1 to 2 pounds. then tension and clamp. ensure when you clamp that you are leaving out as little un-tensioned string as possible by clamping as close to the edge as possible. then tie the knot.

i do triple half-hitch. the first one i pull as hard as i can to ensure not too much tension is lost. the other two would be done the same way but you don't have to pull so hard.

3. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

I have done 2 rackets so far, tried "half hitch+pro knot" rather than "double half hitch" the second time, looks much better to be honest.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Remember to use the stringer mover or tensioner to tighten the single half hitch knot first before proceeding to the pro knot :cool:.

5. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

Yes, that's what I did for the second one, like a dream, thank you for the advice all the same!!

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  7. limbo88

limbo88 Regular Member

you may find it faster two piece in my uncle did 30 one day in around 15minutes each sometimes less

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    20-25 mins is considered pro level. 15 is nerd. Flying clamps sure helps. ;)

9. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    :crying: I am still on the one hour mark, but I dont hv much chance to practice. I'll hv to get a couple of flying clamps.

10. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Normally took me about 1 hour too :)
    Fastest I can do I think I did it in around 30 minutes but I prefer 1 hour. I prefer keeping the quality of the job, neat, and preweaving so the racket spend minimum time on tensioning part.

11. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    great thread kwun

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Its possible to be in 15mins if electronics being used. For those at 1 hour level, it's time for upgrade or a new version... ;)

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I know this is an old thread. I just saw it and have time to see the video. A few comments
    1) Regarding stringing time, to string a racquet on any machine, 20 min is prob the limit for any one from a empty frame to finish.
    2) The video did bring back some of my childhood memory. I remember I help my mom making silk flower to make extra money (I didn't have to, it was interesting to kill time and to help my mom).
    3) The racquets are tension by hand and there is almost always low tension. That is why they can do it so fast.

14. kewei88

kewei88 Regular Member

When doing 1 piece stringing method, how much string is need on the short side?

15. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Just 'split' your string in 2 equal parts and start on the 5th mains down up. crossing the middle and completing the one side. The other 1/2 will do the 6th to 11th mains + the crosses. Very simple really. In fact pity we do not get large reels or we could have done it in under 9m of string.

16. RacketStringer

RacketStringer Regular Member

Retired Bank officer/ part time racquet stringer
    I am a new stringer and as i am a badminton player most of the rackets I have strung have been badminton rackets -approx 15 in all. The advice given is great but the place I lose the most time is when threading a string through a grommet already occupied by another string. I was worried about using an awl just as others here have suggested as it may damage the string that is in the grommet, not to mention the grommet itself and even the racket frame. I recently purchased a string mover just like the one another contributor has shown on here. However I have still found that I am very cautious as to how much pressure I apply as I worry about causing damage. I am impressed by those that can string a racket from start to finish in 30 minutes or so as it still takes me about an hour (as I say I am new to it). As far as the fastest possible time? Well when I was on the stringing course there was a guy there who was invited to visit the Chinese national team's stringing room at an international tournament. Apparently the Chinese stringers are almost as competetive as the players! Their top stringer strung a racket against a stopwatch and was clocked at just 7 minutes for the entire process!! It sounds impossible to someone like me who can only manage an hour, after 7 minutes I am lucky if I have got the first few mains done!!

17. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    You do need to be careful when using a string mover - doing this puts more tension on the string, but if you move it only enough to get the string through, then it should be ok.

Another way, if you have good eyes is to look through the grommet to see where the existing string is sitting - you should see that either top or bottom has a slightly larger opening. I cut the end of the string at an angle, to create a point then push it through the grommet in the direction of the larger opening. It should go through - but there is another technique I use. Push the pointed string into the grommet until it stops - don't push too hard to bend the string. Use a pair of long nose pliers, grip the string about 1 mm from the grommet then push in the string with the pliers - it should go in, then regrip the string 1 mm out and do this again. The string is quite stiff over a small length and it will push through the grommet, unless the string is bent - then it won't push. This technique means that you don't stress the existing string using the string mover - but I find it easier to use the string mover unless I have a very acute angle on the string, i.e. the outer mains.

18. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    usually stringer will pull the string start from the middle of the main right?

what if the start from left to right? will it affect the frame? one of my racket strung this way, and the frame looks bended on one side.

19. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I think most stringers will string the mains from the middle and go outwards. To balance the frame properly just do one or two string on each side at a time. I haven't heard of anyone starting the mains from the left and then continuing to the other side - this would likely pull the frame out of shape.

I always start from the middle, clamp left string then tension and clamp the right string, thread the right again and tension and clamp, then go back to the left - tension and clamp, thread, tension and clamp, then go to the right - this way I am doing 2 strings on 1 side at a time. I use fixed clamps.

20. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Might b impractical to string from one side thru the middle to the other side.
    If u string at high tension u may even BREAK the frame.