Carlton Prototype

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mds nl, Jan 25, 2010.

1. beerhouse

beerhouse New Member

Academic Fellow
  2. jlake01

jlake01 New Member

^ I would also like to know the difference between the razor and the prototype...

3. krisyay

krisyay Regular Member

Got the v1.0 prototype at sportsdirect and played with it for about 3-4 hrs today.

Haven't played in a while (recently moved to London and didn't bring my gear), but my main racket of choice was the Panda Power T2 @ 84.6g.

The prototype is aesthetically very unique. Very different from other mainstream rackets and I really like that! Being 84g, swinging the prototype v1.0 felt very similar to the T2. The design of the frame makes it cut through the air fairly quickly and, after removing the original grip and putting on a thin replacement grip, overall it felt very slightly head heavy. Just doing some static flexing of the racket, it feels medium stiff which makes it flexier than the T2.

It took me a little bit of getting used to the timing because it feels like it cuts through the air slightly faster than the T2. After getting hte timing down, clears were effortless and smashes packed a pretty good punch. I found that a fully wounded smash with the v1.0 was stronger than the T2 but my stick smashes weren't very threatening. Placement is easy, drops are good, and net shots are good. I haven't really gotten a hang of the net kills though, I kept mis-hitting. Although the feel of the racket is good, it is currently strung with Carlton strings and my usual to-go set would be BG80 or VS850. To me, the touch shots felt kind of numb but I'm really not sure if it's the funny no-grommet system or the strings that's at fault. I believe a previous review mentioned that this is a good racket for singles or back-person doubles and I agree.

4. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

been using the prototype v1.0 or a while now, and i personally love it. it replaces my personal fav doubles racket, wilson hypercarbon 8. the hypercarbon 8 is 85 grams, but the 84 gram pt v1.0 feels heavier to swing. my hypercarbon 8 is almost 10 years old and after a clash that i was sure broke my racket but didnt, i needed to find a replacement. something similar , and ive been through quite a few.

Players adapt to rackets as much as rackets of different specs adapt to different players.

Thats the simple truth of it. :)

5. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Just Share my Prototype V1.0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

296029_10150369414585513_539435512_8298797_1788466524_n.jpg

The VTTs balance seems a little more head light compared to the PT V1.0 although they are both even balance. Clears are not as effortless. The racket also feels stiffer. The shaft diameter is thicker than on the PT V1.0.

Although they are specced the same, the PT V1.0 is better imho.

The VTT plays and feels a lot like Yonex's new nanoray FX. Go figure.

:)

asmd.

7. Leo C

Leo C Regular Member

Veterinary Surgeon
    I have the Carlton Prototype V1.0 - now named Razor but same racket. Without a doubt best racket I've ever had. Smash power brilliant, good feel and close control, head speed excellent. £50 from Sports Direct a great bargain especially as they're also currently selling the identical Razor V1.0 for £160!

8. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Anyone else had a problem with the cross strings popping off the wraparound grooves? A friend of mine bought his from Sportsdirect becuase it was only £50.00. String popped off, I re-strung it cos it was impossible to shift the string to the correct place. Re-string with Zymax 67 24x26lb, and after 30 mins of play the same problem happened.
    Sent an email to Carlton to complain today. Waiting to hear response

Racket is unuseable!

Gary

9. racquetattack

racquetattack Regular Member

web sales
    That was the problem with the old version, they were recalled not to be sold. The newer version had deeper grooves, and the problem was solved. Also I popped the string back in the groove no problem with the stringers awl. All of the issuse have been resolved. Older models were to be returned until the new version was available. None of the ones i have sold have any issue at all.

10. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

mine does the same.
    awesome racket with the exception of the string popping issue.
    wrote to carlton to complain, never got a reply.

asmd.

11. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

does the razor v1.0 actually have deeper groves? can anyone confirm?

12. racquetattack

web sales
    I have one of the older versions, and the newer, and yes the groves are deeper. And yes i am a Carlton dealer.

13. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

@ racquetattack - thanks for the info. now we know.

i wonder if stringing it at higher tensions would prevent the string popping?
    i bought 3, 2 from sports direct.
    if they were on recall, how on earth does carlton allow them to be sold? especially from a high profile retailer such as sports direct?

14. jackyche

jackyche Regular Member

can anyone give me carlton's email/phone number?

i have the razor 1.1 and something's loose inside the handle. I can feel/hear it.

15. racquetattack

web sales
    I was told to return mine, and wait for the new version, but some probably were sold before the recall. They should be allowed to return them. I kept one as a demo, and the one time they popped out i was able to return to the groov with a stringers awl.

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I tried the P V1.0 tonight. Too flexible, but good power and control, flexibility really is Yoo much though...

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

18. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Just noticed something....
    I snapped the string on my pt v1.0 so had to restring it. it has 22 main strings and while stringing it i noticed that the 11th mains on either side are kind of redundant as that it simply run through the weave and do not intersect the crsoss string. Thinking that maybe i did something worng, i got out my second ptv1.0 and guess what i noticed... the second copy only had 20 mains cross strings!!!

That really took me by surprise!! with 20 mains, the 10th main is weaved in properly.

I guess the ptv1.0 was truly a prototype indeed!!

wonder which was the earlier revision...

also, strung at 26 pounds, no string popping out issues. also realised that since that with 20 mains, (strings spaced slightly further apart) the 10th main holds the cross strings in the groove down preventing it from popping out. The depth of the grooves seem the same.

anybody know how many main string the razor v1.0 has?

19. racquetattack

web sales
    All of the V1.0 i have seen or sold have 22 mains and 21 crosses. You are right about the outside mains and the intersecting. I will contact Carlton about the string pattern. I believe the Razor version will have the same string pattern. www.racquetattack.com

20. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Sports direct has an image of the razor v1.0 up on their site...
    it has 20 main strings.

the image of the pt v1.0 over at sports direct has 22 mains.

looks like the first pt v1.0 was an older revision.

of the subsequent two i got from sport direct, one has 22 mains and the other has 20 mains.