Meanings of Level of Play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by viver, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Cambridge, UK (heh..only a sixth form college tho)
    Advanced Plus

But most people at relatively competitve clubs will be high inter and advanced according to that scale i.e. our college team of 6 would have 3 advanced and 3 high inters. Is that about right? Sounds really high to me.....

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Advanced Plus

Wow... then, ur college team should be really dominating in the league...

However, if they just happen to against worse player much more often than ppl get similar or better skill level, maybe u should consider to lower their rating.

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Kind of a simple formula for determining your ability but this is the way I see it:

Beginners: Need help with everything, but most importantly, need to learn proper techniques first.

Intermediates: Have learned the techniques and know the physical part of the game. Time to learn strategies and the mental part of the game.

Advance: Both physical and mental foundations of the game is set, working on a high level of consistency and perfecting gameplay.

Elite: The few who have master the game and can consistently do well in tournaments both nationally and internationally.

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    Goody

That clear's that up-we're all inter nearing advanced. First League match (away) on Thursday. PS it's a sixth form college (16-18). Hope my racquet doesn't break or anything........can't play with any other racquet;-)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Looks like Squash has a better grading system. Here in Singapore, players can confidently tell you "I'm a B-grader, or F-grader". It appears that those in charge have a national system to grade the players, but I haven't had time to find out how they do it. The squash national body used to organize tournaments for the various grades in the past.

It is true that in badminton, we don't have a central system to rank players. For most officially organized tournaments they normally draw a line between national players, ex-national players and others. For example, the local SBA has an annual team tournament called the Wong Peng Soon Cup (5 matches: MS, MD, Veteran MD (above 45 years, I believe), LD and XD) which excludes national players and ex-national players who last represented the country for less than 3 years (just a guess).

When we play friendly inter-club games, although we rank our own players in order of ability, the standards do differ when compared with the other opposition clubs. The 1st team of a "strong" club (lke the Chinese Swimming Club) may be far too strong for a "weaker" club, when even its 3rd team will prove quite a match. Even within one's own team, there may be stark differences in the player's standards. Over time and with more interaction and experience, such clubs will know how to arrange their teams in order to provide better and more interesting competition to avoid one-sidedness.

Over here, nationally organized tournaments for the general public are few. We do have the contituency games whereby players of a certain (geographic and electoral) district can team up to play against those from other districts. The schools are definitely more active and have their own annual national level competitions. There are also the national age-group tournaments, but hardly any for ordinary players (apart from sponsored ones) who wish to find out to which grade they belong.

I also noticed that someone from this Forum did mention about the A-Level, B-Level, etc, competitions (maybe in the UK?) and wonder how this is done?

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Hmm.....how do I rate myself? lol. :D Still no idea how.

7. Sheldon

Sheldon Regular Member

Student
    I'll just stick to saying "I'm pretty good":)

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    that's not a bad way to go. :D Just going to get myself in a tournament and see how that goes, right now, I probably rate myself E. :D

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Fine, if there's a level of "Z", I will be that one then.

10. StanleyC

StanleyC Regular Member

ranking for amateur players

Hi all,

I've seen that you have some discussions for level of skills and ranking for players before. I’ve got a ranking scheme for amateur badminton players from one of the Chinese badminton forums. It not only uses the result of match or level of skills but also with some behaviours to determine the grading. I think we can combine 0-3 but need to extend a bit on 6-7. Does it look reasonable?

[font=&#718]Grade 0 : never play badminton before[/font]

[font=&#718]
    Grade 1: frequent play in the street and outdoor areas. No requirement to wind direction, playground, net and racket.

Grade 2 : frequent play in the street and outdoor areas. Some requirements to wind direction but not for playground, net and racket. Think themselves are pretty good and like to show off. Never watch badminton match.[/font]

[font=&#718]
    Grade 3 : like to play at outdoor badminton court with net, but do not know how high the net is. Do not play during strong wind. Think themselves are pretty good and like to show off. Watch badminton matches occasionally and just feel exciting.

Grade 4: like to play at standard indoor badminton court. Know it is expensive to play badminton. Know how to grip and own their rackets. Know that racket can be purchased in a single item but not in a pair. Know that the string can be [/font]
    [font=&#718]re-stretched.[/font][font=&#718] Always watch badminton matches at TV. Know themselves not play so well.

Grade 5 : never play outdoor. Always think about badminton during work or at school. Like smash. Start concern about equipment. With own requirements on racket, string tension, clothes and shoes. Know how bad of others but not know how bad themselves. Concern TV badminton matches and record them into tape/disc. Never miss chance for play. Can tell names of a number of famous players and equipment. Hope the children become a pro. Start addict to badminton.[/font]

[font=&#718]
    Grade 6 : concern to own technique in details and expect with less mistake. Start using deception. Judge accurately the opponents strengths and weaknesses and understand why they win or lose. Start play with pro and know the good players in the local district. Have some unlike players. Know which month will have open matches.

Grade 7: always play with pro and even win occasionally. Obtain top 5 ranking within the district. For equipment, only concern shuttle, racket and string. High requirement to the playground and can feel the wind direction. Only watch real big match and can point out strengths and weaknesses of international pro.[/font]

[font=&#718]
    Grade 8: obtain top 5 in the province/state[/font]
    [font=&#718]s grade matches. Always play with pro and able to win those who are in general level. Very familiar with every things in badminton field. Know the names of the best players in the country and names of coaches in each province/state. Not quite interested to obtain the souvenir or [font=&#718]signature[/font][font=&#718] even from Olympic champ.[/font][/font]

[font=&#718]
    [/font]

11. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    In my opinion, you should skip the first 3 because I do not think those come here.... maybe level 1: still plays outdoor
    level 2 plays indoor and know badminton is expensive etc...

12. IamAbeginner

IamAbeginner Regular Member

Student
    What if I am a mix of, say, grade 3 and 4? What does that make me?:( I know I suck at this game, I like to play in a standard indoor badminton court(but it is expensive so I play most of my badminton games at outdoor badminton courts) and i watch badminton matches occasionally(I do not have cable television to watch those channels that show sports all day). What can I say? I am a beginner!:(

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I should be somewhere around 5 or 6 :rolleyes: , skill of sub 0 :( , but a heart of 8+. :D

14. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I don't believe what you do truly affects your skill level.

That isn't always the case with beginners.

But maybe I'm a beginner, even though I'm not showing off intentionally, I do challenging shots. Doesn't sound right however.

you mean restring..i suppose?

Personally..I feel that my skill level would be at 6. However, i'm not terribly interested in videos..I was about a year ago. Now....pff...I'll come out with my own ideas.

Personally, I think behaviour does not contribute to skill level. It's not like I'll get better by watching lots of video..this is a sport; we're not studying for writing an exam! :D

15. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I agree with alzgodemort and think the grades 1-3 should be combined. There is a lower level of difference with beginner players.

Whereas the last higher levels need more of a variance. There is a world of difference between someone who has all their shots, and someone who can hang with a pro, even at the lowest level. You need more degrees of difference in between grades 5-9.

Also your grading seems dependent on playing conditions, equipment, knowing professional badminton players and information, etc. All of these are exterior factors. I would grade on more badminton factors based on skills. For example, a beginner might not use a correct forehand or backhand grip, and use strictly panhandle for all shots, with no consistency or length in their shots. Someone a step up might be able to do full clears, etc. Someone another step up might be able to do full backhand clears, etc. Just some suggestions.

I would propose a grading something like this:

grade 0= first timer
    grade 1,2,3 low, mid, high beginner
    grade 4,5,6 low, mid, high intermediate
    grade 7,8,9 low, mid, high advance

Each grade would have skills attached to them, and moving into grade 5 and up, the player would start adding mental skills as well.

16. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I agree. I would further add:

grade 0= first timer - practice making contact with the bird
    grade 1,2,3 low, mid, high beginner - learning to make consistent clears, and practicing footwork
    grade 4,5,6 low, mid, high intermediate - good serves, can do clears, smashes, drops with reasonable consistency, footwork improved
    grade 7,8,9 low, mid, high advance - strategy, consistent shots, with some particularly effective shots, efficient footwork.
    grade 10 - beyond advanced - top players who make it to at least to the finals in local tourneys some of the time.

17. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

I think that guide was supposed to be humorous. ;)

18. StanleyC

StanleyC Regular Member

I think the ranking can serve as an alternate view of the standard for amateur players. it could be humorous but it also points out some true behaviours that different standards of players may have.

of course I agree that using the skill level should be the best and ultimate way to grade a player, but it is difficult to judge what is "...good serves, can do clears, smashes, drops..." if the test is conducted by a questionnaire like this.

anyway, thanks for your comments. just for fun. :D

19. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    How to rate urself?

then i guess im intermediate....gunna be advanced soon.

#59 Furqan, Jul 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  20. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

By the way, my club has a tournament lately and there is level E ??? Is A,B,C,D official IBF ratings ?