Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

2. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
  3. wade

wade Regular Member

Yeah candra/tony was my favorite pair too, tony was my favorite player in particular.

I think they're back together again in 2005, they got silver medal at the WC (lost to tony gunawan & howard bach)

Seems like everyone more interested in tony/candra/sigit and kido/hendra's part than minions's part :p

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

My favorite was Candra:)

Well it's not like we didn't know the story about minions already:p It's in the bible lol.
    I wonder how the coaches actually convinced Kevin to finally accept the new partnership and to try to compromise. Evidently minions improved and started showing good results after 2016.

5. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

6. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    rhoder likes this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I suppose I should try to translate the part with minions. :) (to avoid unnecessary or misunderstanding:D:D

Source : https://www.cnnindonesia.com/olahra...ya-belum-menangis-lagi-sejak-olimpiade-2000/2

[​IMG]

(CNN Indonesia/Adhi Wicaksono)

[​IMG]
    The Greatness of Kevin/Marcus, The Resurgence of Ahsan/Hendra

Q : Apart from Kido, you have had problems with Marcus Fernaldi Gideon?
    H : I have my own method of educating athletes, but at that time he was still young and did not accept it. That was the process that Marcus was required to go through. In my opinion, he had changed drastically after that.

There are many ways and methods of process. It was not me who kicked him out, but it was him who quit emotionally because he was still young and did not think of the bigger picture.

At the end he returned here. At first, Marcus talked to Chafidz. We held and official meeting, Rexy Mainnaky was present at that time. Rexy asked me, "Would you take Sinyo back?"

[​IMG]
    Herry IP memuji perubahan Marcus Fernaldi Gideon setelah kembali ke pelatnas Cipayung. (CNN Indonesia/ Putra Permata Tegar)

I responded, "I have no problem, but there is a condition, he will follow the rules in PBSI and not to make his own decisions".

It was fate, I thought, that brought Marcus and Kevin together, because back then Kevin had had a partner. Who would have thought? Even I as their coach had not expected that Kevin/Marcus could have become this great.

At that time Kevin was partnered with Selvanus, I thought they were quite good but was missing something because both of them were front court player. Then Selvanus fell ill and Kevin ended up partnering Marcus. They just clicked, as if it was meant to be. It was meant to be.

Q : How sure you were that Kevin/Marcus would become a top pair?
    H : They lost often in 2015, they have often ngambek-ngambekan (red. What is "ngambek-ngambekan" in English?o_O Mad at each other?). I summoned Kevin to the room. There were Kevin, Aryono and Richard together.

"If you trust me, listen to what I say. You keep this partnership. In my opinion, the best partner for you is Marcus." so I told him.

I think, their motivation and fighting spirit suit each other. Kevin at the front, Marcus at the back. Their mentality during a match are just right.

[​IMG]
    Kevin/Marcus berhasil jadi pebulutangkis nomor satu dunia dalam beberapa tahun terakhir. (CNN Indonesia/Adhi Wicaksono)

Q : What is the strongest point from Kevin/Marcus as a pair?
    H : Cleverness, they can change their playing style in one game. If they were given any coaching, they could adjust to it quickly. This pair is a fighting kind. The term we use is cockfighting. Compared the pairs in the past, they are quite similar with Canda/Tony in terms of fighting spirit on court.

Kevin/Marcus may have also gotten nervous, but the percentages is rather small.

Q : What is your ideal idea of double figures?
    H : Playing doubles means to fuse the way they play, two become one. How they blend with each other, finding the right pattern. On the outside, they have to trust each other. That's crucial. If one player did not trust the other, it will be difficult.

The most important thing is how they communicate on court. Though ideally they should communicate well on and off court, but I do not really mind about what happen off court.

Q : So how is the situation in the national camp? Is it quite tensed with this many top players around?
    H : Off court, they get along well. They do not always share the room with their own partner. Kevin sleeps (shares room) with Rian. Marcus with Fajar or others. They are good with each other that they can have a meal together before going to the match.

Friends off court, enemies on court.

MezzL, ebcd, Baddie lover and 2 others like this.
  8. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

I remember in an interview, Harry (the coach) said the challenge he had to partner kevin with someone. If Kevin didn't like his partner (he thought his partner wasn't good enough), then kevin became not serious during the practice ex by intentionally making the shuttle out etc.

I imagine it was hard for Kevin & Gideon to adjust themselves to each other. Kevin might think Gideon wasn't good enough, while Gideon might think 'who is this arrogant boy, he's younger than me but not showing any respect'
    #just in my imagination.

I remember during their first matches, they didn't talk much when playing. They sulked when another made mistakes (Kevin still does it sometimes, from what I see at all england 2019 & singapore open).
    But hearing even the coach didn't expect they'd be this big, meaning how much they improved & exceeded the expectation in the last 3-4 years.

9. wade

wade Regular Member

In some way he's similar to LYD, it's not easy to be his partner that's for sure.

ebcd and Biglever like this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I recalled their matches in 2015 and I must admit Marcus was kind of horrible:p It was not because he wasn't good enough or anything, it was just that he had a hard time keeping his nerves, hence making so many mistakes. Kevin was inexperienced back then, Marcus was supposed to be the more experienced and the one who took charge, guess that was why Marcus was under a lot of pressure.

Anyway, in 2016 Kevin started to cover a lot more for his partner. Ended up he was all over the court and that confused Marcus in the way too lol :D:DThey started to blend well in 2017, that was probably when Kevin and Marcus had finally bonded and trusted each other almost 100%.
    I still think that Marcus's movement speed had declined quite significantly after his wedding. Not so sure what caused it, but it just did.

rhoder likes this.
  11. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

In my opinion that win in AE 2017 was their turning point.

12. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Yep I think I noticed Kevin getting somewhat irritated somewhere late last year to early this year when Gideon was in quite a slump and making lots of mistakes. But I think he has matured quite a bit because he was also providing encouragement and advice to Marcus in between rallies (unlike in 2015-16). I suspect Kevin might have thought Gideon wasn’t good enough, though I think Gideon does know he isn’t as naturally talented but has made up for it by working hard.

Definitely an interesting dynamic though, their characters seem polar opposites. Quite amazing the coaches made it work

ebcd likes this.
  13. minions

minions Regular Member

At least, he has his supporting coach who keeps believe in them.

14. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

I think that's simply because of his age, he needs to put more effort to maintain his stamina. We know minions' playing style requires speed & fast movement.

That's also happening to ahsan/hendra. I can see the difference of, especially ahsan, in their early years with the way they play now. They now rely on the placement & clever defense more compared to their previous aggresive style.

Let's hope gideon still can maintain his speed, at least until Olympic next year. I'm not sure if Gideon will still play after the OG, or minions will still be partnered by then, but if they do then I suspect minions would adopt ahsan/hendra's approach in adjusting their style, because their ages will go against them (with their fast & furious' style) in the long run

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Or China Open 2016

Smart coach :D I know someone who can vouch for it :p

I suppose it is age. But funny that it happened at that certain timing.

The problem with minions playing non fast and furious play is that would expose Marcus' lack of shots quality. We know the level of individual skill by Ahsan is above average. And I suppose they would no longer be known as 'minions' if they are not fast and furious anymore :D:p

16. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

I suppose it is age. But funny that it happened at that certain timing.

The problem with minions playing non fast and furious play is that would expose Marcus' lack of shots quality. We know the level of individual skill by Ahsan is above average. And I suppose they would no longer be known as 'minions' if they are not fast and furious anymore :D:p[/QUOTE]

How do we know? Ahsan was a good player, but not that exceptional back then (when he was with bona), IMO. Then he accelerated his skill levels up when partnering with hendra, not only being one of the best back court players, but also can be dangerous on the front court.
    I see Gideon also improves his front & back court's skills, not to compete with Kevin tho. I think the option to play in different style is still open for them.
    But again, I'm not even sure if the coaches will still partner them after OG. Looking at the past, the coaches tend to split the experienced pairs & make new pairings (partner them with juniors) to keep the regeneration on the track.
    If Kevin gets a younger partner, we might have 'minions 2' :p
    I think I already think too far, haha
    For now, let's hope they will perform their best & get the best results in WC & Olympic.

17. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

How do we know? Ahsan was a good player, but not that exceptional back then (when he was with bona), IMO. Then he accelerated his skill levels up when partnering with hendra, not only being one of the best back court players, but also can be dangerous on the front court.
    I see Gideon also improves his front & back court's skills, not to compete with Kevin tho. I think the option to play in different style is still open for them.

But again, I'm not even sure if the coaches will still partner them after OG. Looking at the past, the coaches tend to split the experienced pairs & make new pairings (partner them with juniors) to keep the regeneration on the track.

If Kevin gets a younger partner, we might have 'minions 2' :p
    I think I already think too far, haha
    For now, let's hope they will perform their best & get the best results in WC & Olympic.

#4177 ma.ria, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  18. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Sorry for the double post

19. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Gideon's court awareness still isn't that great and his midcourt game is not that exceptional either. I doubt they can play like ahsan/hendra and rely on placement more.

20. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

I'd say China Open 2016 SF vs Chai/Hong

wade, rhoder and yuquall like this.