2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-9 (19th August) - WS & MD Gold Medal, WS Bronze Medal, MS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Completely respect your opinion, and in a sense, I (almost) completely agree. I think every badminton fan must agree (no matter how much one hates her) that she is at least "definitely on her way" to attaining GOAT status. For me, she's already reached there, for the various reasons I've illustrated. And look, an opinion can change in a minute, an hour, or years - for subjective feelings such as this, it doesn't mean someone was right or wrong - that's why it's an opinion! It's like saying you were wrong that you liked Sushi as a child, since you don't like it now as an adult!

2. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Nice to see you still around. Thought you said you were gone after LD lost. And glad I'm still around too - LCW still not a single major title!

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    right. i respect what you say too, and it is alright to have different opinions.

let me elaborate on why I said that.

the reason I was a bit conservative on granting GOAT is that GOAT is really a big deal. "AT" is even bigger than a WC title, bigger than Olympics Gold. AT means better than EVERYONE that came before them at that point in time.

We have seen many popping stars in badminton, Ji Xinpeng, and even Li Xuerui has been at the top of the world but not able to consistently maintain their supremacy and the performance never came back.

Lin Dan can be considered GOAT, since at his peak, he has consistently taken all the big titles, WC/AE/SS titles on many occasions, throughout a period of many years, and winning 2 OG while he was at it. Ge Fei / Gu Jun can be considered GOAT, even more so than Lin Dan as they took 2 OG and only losing once the 4 years in between. and for some events, like MD, where there are so many pairs with similar strength, it is even hard to say who, if there is a GOAT at all.

so therefore I'd like to keep observing for a little more and not jump into conclusion too quickly.

nizze likes this.
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and btw, I think Zhang Ning is a better candidate for GOAT than anyone else in the recent era. 2 OG, WC, and numerous title in a time where there are lots of competition.

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, I suspect for most people, they'd want to see Super Marin maintain her World number one ranking (most of the time), win at least one more World Champs and take out the Tokyo Olympics 2020 Gold Medal before declaring her the GOAT. And that's understandable. Some others would want her to take out the 2024 Gold Medal too, along with every single World Champs from now until then.

For me, coming from her background (and let's say her genetics?) makes her an anomaly. Just incredible achievements. Anyone seen The Matrix hehe?

I also truly believe that Marin has taken WS to the next level. I think her speed and physicality are beyond her time. I also disliked her initially, and couldn't believe that "little old Spain" was stomping all over "Asian pride" or whatever you want to call it. But then I couldn't deny not just what she has achieved, but how she has achieved it (taking WS to the next level etc).

6. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Hmmm... in this case, will you consider CY/FHF GOAT? They have a negative h2h against LYD/JJS leh.

But they were Olympics gold medalists, WC champions,consistent top world ranking , won countless SS titles, on the thomas and surdiman cup winning team... Correct me if i am wrong but going by your definitions, they are not qualified to be GOAT?

#1986 nizze, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    at this moment, I think MARIN is just behind Zhang Nin as GOAT, one more Olympic title Marin will be GOAT.

8. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

boring? i don't know and can't comment as i was still a kid and didn't follow badminton.

i believe only people who have watched badminton during the days of LLW or HAP can give a fair comment on how competitive it is.

who knows, 30 years later, some one might comment that LD and LCW era is boring as its either LD or LCW winning.

similar in NBA, fans in the era of Lebron James's dominance have doubts on the greatness of Michael Jordan (MJ's opponents are weak, compare to Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, etc etc). while those who watched NBA during MJ's heyday continue to say he's still the GOAT, denying many Hall of Fame players from winning even one ring (just ask Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley).

just sit back and enjoy their matches. it is difficult and not fair to judge players from different era.

9. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    no, I'm not saying LCW vs LD title = 64 - 62.
    never.

I think it is you that contradicting yourself by saying ZN / ZYL is not the GOAT bcoz neg H2H with JFN / CP.

when I say, Marin has neg H2H to 18 / 19 WS player, therefore she is absolutely not the GOAT, you have nothing to respond...hahaha

I said it before, 1 or 2 years ago, and I already said it again in this thread, 5 - 10 pages before, there are several factor to be GOAT :

- major titles
    -total titles
    -H2H
    -world #1
    -win - lose record
    -world record

all of this factor combined, and no way Marin os the GOAT :p

for sure, you can only count the title that your rival could participate.

if TH asks to LD, why you never win SEA Games title, do you think it is possible ?

if you still want to count CWG, could I count Thomas / Sudirman / Asian Games team title which is for sure make LD ahead by 10 titles in total ? :p

are you sure you only want to count this ?
    as LD vs LCW H2H is sth like 25 - 9, this is a very good start for LD...so do you think you can win in this aspect ? :p

wow, I don't believe that I must explain this :

-Brazil GP 2015 should count, bcoz LCW also can play in there, but choose to absent.
    -CWG, even if LD wants to take part, he can't played.

no, I'm always consistent, that's why it's me who can make you run and hide here and there :p

#1989 Fortune, Aug 21, 2016
  10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    no, I'm not saying like that, and never say it.

especially Fu Haifeng who is the only male MD to win 2 OLY gold, can you find my post that say FHF is the greatest male MD player ?

I can guarantee you can't find that post

even I confuse to say, who is greater between Zhang Jun / Gao Ling or Kim Dong Moon / Ra Kyung Min, bcoz ZJ / GL is the 2 times OLY gold in XD, include in 2004 Athens.

but their H2H is really bad especially during 2004 OLY qualification.

I always consistent with my post.
    there are 5 or 6 factors to determine who is the GOAT. you can find it in post 1989.

the one who is inconsistent is @ssj100.

when major title is good, then use this.
    if H2H is good, then use H2H.
    but when I say Marin has major title but has really bad H2H to 18 WS, he / she has nothing to say except run here and there :p

for me, MD GOAT is very difficult to say, bcoz in my opinion, there are several good candidates :

Ricky / Rexy
    JJS / LYD
    CY / FHF
    Kido / Hendra
    Zhang Nan / FHF
    Ahsan / Hendra
    YYS / LYD
    Candra Wijaya / Tony G
    Candra Wijaya / Sigit Budiarto

combine all the factors, then their result is pretty the same...not as cleas as WS GOAT Li Lingwei who has many world records, unlike Marin who only has once or even nothing :p

edit : H2H between
    Zhang / Gao vs Kim / Ra = 3 - 10

so according to you, who is greater ?

only count major title alone just like @ssj100 ? :p

#1990 Fortune, Aug 21, 2016
  11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

The saddest thing is perhaps the fact that he thinks he's right hehe. The more he posts about it, trying to defend his reasoning, the more embarrassing it gets actually!

12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Interesting. Is that because she'd have the same number of Olympic Golds as Zhang Nin, but more World Champs? If so, you're putting the Olympics very high, which I suppose is fair enough.

13. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    then Li Lingwei is the greatest bcoz she defeated future OLY and World Champion plus winner of 15 or 20 grand prix title, Susi Susanti.

clear ?

plus Tang Jiuhong also, future world champion.

Susi = 7 years younger than LLW
    LLW : double duty and play 3 events in a row, Susi only 2, and focus in WS only.

Result : LLW > Susi...easier than her first victory in Japan open 1989

how do you know Marin opponent is great ?

if they are really great, how come WYH who almost 29 still as #2 in the world, while WYH at 20 y.o., still ranked below than the veteran 33 y.o. Zhang Ning ?

Tang Jiuhong, Huang Hua, Bang So Hyun Susi Susanti, and the others.

check 1988 Uber Cup squad.
    where is TJH and Huang Hua ?
    not selected.
    why ? bcoz the future world champion is not good enough compare to other CHN WS, even for 4th WS position :p

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Also it's quite simple to respond to the negative H2H issue - I simply value the fact that Super Marin would not have the culture/training/opportunities to be "great" like ZN/ZYL (therefore implying Marin is more talented etc) - this is very subjective, and you can't prove or disprove it - it's an opinion. Also, as I said, Marin has brought WS to another level more so than anything I've seen in recent badminton history - again, can't be proved or disproved. It's fine to claim ZN/ZYL as the GOAT - not saying anyone is wrong by making such a claim, because again, it's just an opinion.

To be honest, I don't know XD history very well to make accurate comments on who should be GOAT. I'm just learning now that Frank Devlin won 6 World Champs MS, 7 World Champs MD, and 5 World Champs XD, while George Thomas won 4 World Champs MS, 9 World Champs MD, and 8 World Champs XD:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Devlin
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_George_Thomas,_7th_Baronet
    (Note that All England = World Champs back then)

So could be argued that George Thomas and his partner are the GOAT in XD, and also in MD too, with Frank Devlin a close second. But again, I don't know the level of competition etc back then well enough. But if someone were to argue that George Thomas is the GOAT in badminton in any discipline, I'd respect that opinion, and not use fallacious arguments hehe. Heck, after all, the Thomas Cup is named after George Thomas!

15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    count title only when both player (LD and LCW) play the same event ?

wanna count, @ssj100 ? :p

and who is greater, ZJ / GL or Kim / Ra ?
    what about ZN / ZYL vs JFN / CP ?
    and what about WYH vs Marin ?
    Inthanon vs Marin ?
    Sun Yu vs Marin ?

answer it. :D

16. super-g

super-g Regular Member

The problem with this list is that it is only your opinion, not a fact. Some people really think their opinions are facts. Many people would only count world championships and olympics, and there is nothing wrong with that.

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think you need to re-read the point I was trying to make with your 2 vs 1 argument mate hehe. You appear to have completely missed the point!

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Was just about to post something like that. He's arguing as if he's got mathematical proof for all his opinions, and that he's the only one that's right!

19. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I'm sure player from Africa has worst facilities than Marin from Spain.
    so if she has neg H2H vs Marin, then it is normal bcoz her country not as rich as spain, no badm depth, no badm tradition, not enough facilities, even perhaps no callibre coach...yeah, this is normal, but we can say the girl from Africa is greater than Marin by using super silly analogy by @ssj100 :p

brought in to the new level
    yeah that's right.

from A class performance during LLW era, by winning WC and world #1 in WS and WD, becoming E or even F class performance in Marin's era by losing to Michele Li from Canada in WS at Sudirman Cup level 2 competition :p

Sir George Thomas active player was during 1910 - 1930.

IBF was formed in 1934.

so, how we count this when his title is not in IBF calendar ? :p

20. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    using your analogy, I'm asking you who is greater :
    Marin or WYH ?
    Marin or Inthanon ?
    Zhang / Gao or Kim / Ra ?
    Zhang / Zhao or JFN / CP ?

then why you find it so difficult to answer ? :p