if I were LCW

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by AlanY, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ronk

ronk Regular Member

That isn't the point. No, Lee Chong Wei does not have to enter every tournament and win to prove he is #1. But he is ranked #1 now and he did enter to play in the Swiss Open. After winning the All England, he backed out of playing the Swiss Open. It is the backing out that I am criticizing, not that he has to play every SS tournament. If he never entered the SO, there would be no criticism. The grandpas from Denmark, after winning their first All England are still playing in the Swiss Open.

Had he won another SS tournament with prize money equal to the All England and was scheduled to play in another SS tournament the next week, he would probably have played in it.

Had he entered and won the German Open, he would have played in the All England. And if he did not, he would be rightly criticized.

It is the withdrawal from a tournament that he has entered beause he won the All England that merits the criticism.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If the top badminton players adopt the poor attitude of withdrawing from the next tournament they have registered in after they have won, then when will badminton be a truly professional sport?

Our top players are professional players and they are paid to play top-notch badminton! It is their livelihood. It is in their interest to make the game more attractive to gain more support. The SS tournaments are professional tournaments with improved prize monies than previously and are expected to become bigger unless our professionals continue with their 'unprofessional' attitude. How can badminton attract a bigger following and sponsorship if the players are unprofessional in both attitude and conduct? :)

#62 Loh, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Unfortunately some politics get play in badminton...you know some players had been told not to play certain tournaments by their sponsors...unfortunately the players can not say anything...
    I agree what you said..reality...the players can not register himself...then have to go thru their own association..as long as association gets involved...Badminton will not be a professional sport ( I think we discussed it inother thread numerous time):)

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Exactly, that is what it means to be a professional and to do what is good for one's reputation as well as for the game in general. Withdrawals should be made because of injury or some other important reason, like major family emergency, and not because one won the preceeding tournament.

5. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

But wonder why the gun always being pointed at LCW as if he is the only one... you might say Tine or LD also...but please use general scenario rather than LCW...you are giving me impression that you have personal grudge against LCW...what he did to make you to have so much hatred to LCW???
    i know this is LCW thread...but you are mentioning his name in every thread :confused::confused:

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It is sad that badminton has to be a victim of such situations.

Then badminton needs a complete overhaul directed against the whims and fancies of politicians, NSAs, sponsors, etc. They must be made to understand that they have a joint responsibility to contribute to making badminton a recognised Olympic sport - not a sissy or backyard garden sport that still hangs in the air. In the end the benefits accrue to them and their charges.

And the main job falls on BWF to take the necessary action.

7. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, ronk should includes those Chn players like LD who is in the leading list of withdrawals,......;)

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    BWF had discussed it but at least 4 nations refused to let his players register by themselves...INA..CHN..KOR and MAS...Europeans are okay...

9. danielwong

Salesman

he said he will critize..even CHN players
    but this time he just based on the current AE 2010, 100th edition
    gotta trust this guy...wonder he is a committe of the Swiss Open ????:D:D

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes this applies to all top professionals and I'm sure ronk would have included those who have erred previously. ;)

11. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yupper, I would. Tennis players and golfers also get criticized if they withdraw for no good reason. Nope, I am not a Swiss Open organizer and am actually a fan of LCW. That makes it more annoying, because he has failed to live up to my expectations of his professionalism. I am also peeved at Tine and the Chinese winners who withdrew.

One thing that the BWF should do is slap a 5 tournament suspension for any non-approved withdrawals. The tournaments would also include Olympic, Thomas cup etc. Withdrawal will be given for medical reasons as judged by an independent BWF doctor (not the team doctor), or important personal reasons (like the Canadian figure skater who lost her mother).

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    BWF has new guidance starting next year.....more features to make Badminton better..start from Grand Slam 2011....
    BWF , via Marketing agency ,has many ways to make badminton cool..just stay tuned!..I have seen some of them..

13. danielwong

Salesman

Poor LCW...his professionalism is being questions just because he withdrew
    for the 1st without good reason...so hard being LCW...
    his commitments, hardworks and achievements went to the drain just like that :crying::crying::crying:

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    IMHO, if LCW is professional, which basically means he's in it for the money, then going back home will gain him more $$$ than he could earn at Swiss Open.

If by professional, you mean the desire to perform for the fanbase, then he is one of the most hardworking top players in the circuit, participating in more tournaments in the past year than most other top players.

His withdrawal without a good reason is deserving of criticism, but singling him out is a little strange since he does not tend to do that.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

As I already stated in the other thread, in this case, politicians are involved. LCW & Misbun have to allocate time to entertain the celebrations given by the Prime Minister & gang, not some person on the street. Then rest, if he has chance to, then continue training for TC.
    As far as the decision makers are concerned, it's important reason ;)

IF BWF slam suspension on LCW for this like what you suggest, then I think they'll get a nice phone call from our Prime Minister or his wife, the BAM patron.:p

The rewards that LCW is getting for the AE win(RM20,000) is at least half of the SO title prize money.

Anyway, why you so upset just cos LCW withdraw this one tournament ? There're other players who withdraw more often than LCW. Normally LCW play a lot of tournaments, the withdrawals (France, Sea Games) in 2009 were due to injury.

#75 eaglehelang, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    someone is acting that he/she is not double standard
    but then
    i didnt saw even a post from him/her about lindan withdrawal for mo
    and also for last year issue:rolleyes:

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I got post leh, since it's not 1st time LD withdraw. ;);)

19. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I thought limsy was talking about r......

here.

20. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Screw all this bs, the TRUTH is...............

If anyone is LCW, they'll be happy and rich.

I wonder if he have a home theater system.