if I were LCW

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by AlanY, Mar 15, 2010.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, to be honest, it is quite unlike LCW to skip tournaments he has registered for, barring injury. I guess the whole emotional upheaveal after winning his first major title is just a bit too much for him. Wouldn't blame him, after all these years playing bridesmaid.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Now before signing up for SS tournaments, the player would know what he his going in for. It means he is willing to face the competition and the consequences. It also means he should be well prepared as a professional.

Therefore unless he has a very valid reason like being sick or injured, he should therefore honour his obligation and continue to uphold the spirit of sportsmanship.

Of course LCW is very happy to have won this year's AE and his fans will celebrate with him too, but he must also know that his fans and the rest of the badminton fraternity want to see him in action again. They may have bought the Swiss Open tickets in advance and the organizers are also hoping for a good attendance to boost the game further with the likes of other top players participating as well. His star billing would have generated more publicity but now that he has withdrawn, it will become a huge disappointment to many, both fans and newcomers.

If our badminton stars have this sort of a habit of withdrawing after a big win, then it will not be good for badminton in general. So "skipping tournaments" for especially star professional players without a good excuse is not only unnecessary but also brings a bad name to badminton. :eek: :( :mad:

3. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

it's simople folks.dat lee chongwei chap decided to skip the swiss open and went back to ma;aysia toc elebrate his AE vicotry.nothin' more and nothin' less.and no,he ain't injured or afraid of meeting lindan or tago again.

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes you said it right, chap!;)

but loh is also correct on that part of skipping tournament without valid reason

guess we never know what was the reason given but i am sure bwf also understand...:cool:

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Share the loot? ;)

6. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

bro,
    dat is his meain reason for skipping da swiss cheese open.nothin' more and nothin' less.
    if he gets fined by bwf,small change, BAM will pay it off.
    if yonex is his sponsor,i;m sure theyll understand.

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    so it's like you win a war don't try to be hero too many times too soon else you may end up to zero again!:D:D

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I understand LCW but I gotta agree with what Loh said as well.

9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    But noone brags about Tine's withdrawal of Swiss Open...3 times...

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Because there aren't that many anti-Tine fans.

And also because LCW is a top draw, while it's questionable whether Tine is.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lol
    when lindan entered the mo entry list and withdraw
    some(a) say wrong and some(b) say its ok

when lcw decide to withdraw
    their role had now changed
    now
    some(b) say wrong and some(a) say its ok

double standard lol

lee chong wei should play!

12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I'm one of them :D
    Time to think of an excuse......
    LCW played in AE before SO
    LD never played in any tournament before MO

Joking. Not a valid excuse.

13. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Tine is also wrong for withdrawing from the SO. Anyone who signs up for a tournament and then withdraws because he/she won the preceeding tournament is not showing good sportsmanship. This goes for Lin Dan, Tine, and Lee. No double standards.

Now, Lee Chong Wei signed up for the All-England and Swiss Open having given the German Open a miss. Nothing wrong with just playing 2 tournaments in a row, but to withdraw from the SO after winning the All-England is inexcusable. This year, he played the Korean Open and won it. One week later, he played in the Malaysian Open and won it. So he can win 2 tournaments in a row. Why can't he play in the All-England and then play in the Swiss Open?

He has to prove that he is truly the world's number 1 by beat Tago in two tournaments and then beating whoever his opponent is in the final.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Agree with most of your points.

But, if he loses to Tago or does not win the tournament, then he is proven to be a fake number 1?

15. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yes, if he loses to Toga, he will get slammed. But that is what truly great players want, the chance to prove that they can win it all. If LCW is truly great, he will welcome the opportunity to destroy Tago, meet Lin Dan in the final and crush Lin Dan as well. When the going gets rough, the tough gets going.

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If you #1, you have to enter every tournament and win it to prove you are #1?
    If you are OG/WC winner, you also have to enter every tournament to prove it's not a fluke?
    If you win one tournament, you have to win the next to prove that this win is deserved?

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LCW won 4 in a row now right. He is only human after all, and may risk injury prior to TC and has bigger target in WC and AG.
    Really, if I am LCW, I would skip this SO10 (I know the Swiss Alps is beautiful and all) and hit the nearest massage parlour to get a rub, I mean a back rub if you know what I mean:D:p

18. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I agree with your points...
    Like LD after winning OG..he suddenly did not play many tournaments..he even skipped his own China tournaments...he selected the tournaments now...I do not see it is wrong ..and I do not see anyone criticise him either for not playing too many tournaments....he, even , complained that he was too tired in 2009...:eek:
    You can see also FHF/CY only play one tournament at a time as they know their own fitness...unfortunately not everyone likes Gade can play tournament after tournament...

I do not agree that LCW has to play tournaments after tournaments for being number as we know that being rank 1 does not mean you are the best...
    Can you dispute that LD is not the best? even he is not rank 1..all players think he is the real number 1 ( the player to beat)...so why he cant play many tournaments then..

#58 huangkwokhau, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think a player has the right to choose the tournaments he wishes to play in. He doesn't have to enter all or most of the tournaments in order to prove himself. But once he has done that, he must prepare to give of his best including keeping himself physically fit.

Even if he has to fulfil a sponsorship contract to appear in certain tournaments, he has to periodize his training for all these tournaments to reach his peak or close to it, depending on circumstances and priority, in order to give a good account of himself.

It is bad to withdraw without a good excuse. He has to live up to the standards of a truly great professional.

20. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I agree but Badminton is not truly professional sport yet.
    Remember that sometimes, The association will not allow players to enter tournaments or recently Yonex asked all of his sponsored players to skip Singapore Open ( because it is sponsored by Li Ning or vice versa)...
    I know some of them love playing in Singapore so it is not true that player can choose any tournaments he likes....
    Remember that Jonas Ramussen after winning AE, he said that he wanted to go back to Denmark the next day...guess what? he is playing at Swiss Open as Swiss Open is sponsored by Wilson and Jonas is by Wilson too...he could not withdraw...