YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. terrylim

terrylim New Member

If commpare with Arcsaber 11, which one more better ? ( defence, drop shot, net shot, smashing)

2. Kyrii

Kyrii New Member

I haven't tried it on court , will update again if i got the chance to lend from my friend.

3. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Yesterday, I had the chance the try out a new 4u 88s. My friend's friend was so kind to let me use his brand new racquet for a match, instead of using my main racquet, the n9ii. My partner and I won that match in three games, lasted for a little over an hour. But before the match, I did spend half an hour doing drills of clears and drives to get familiar with the racquet first, so I can honestly say I spent two hours with the 4u 88s.

Initially, I thought a 4u will be a little light for my taste, but it feels almost as heavy as my n9ii when swinging it. Clears were effortless and great. Smashes were surprisingly amazing, considering the racquet was design for control. It handled fast drives and exchanges flawlessly. It was fast in defense, and I had no problem defending hard smashes.

I can definitely feel the heavier head weight compare to n9ii. The shaft is also stiffer, which is something I'm very comfortable with, considering my previous racquets all have stiff shafts. I was amazed at how good the handling was with this racquet. This racquet was my vision of a n9iii . With my 2 hours time on the racquet, here are my initial impression:

Drive 88s > n9ii
    Smash 88s = n9ii
    Clear 88s > n9ii
    Stiffness 88s > n9ii
    Head weight 88s > n9ii
    Net play 88s > n9ii
    Defense 88s = n9ii
    Swing speed 88s > n9ii (but let's not forget it was a 4u )
    Drop shot 88s > n9ii
    Back hand 88s > n9ii (that energy booster cap was amazing to use )

Everybody has different feelings on racquets, so those are just my 2 cents on the racquet, so they are not meant to be right or wrong, just personal impression .

I just have to say that this racquet is an amazing racquet. I think it's one of the best so far from yonex in a while. This racquet could be my first yonex racquet back in my bag in a long while since I first switched to Victor from yonex, and now currently settled with li ning. I'm very tempted to purchase one, if only I didn't just order the Victor falcon last week. However, I could just add the 88s into my next month's budget .

fay lam, Okaharu, steve088 and 2 others like this.
  4. Deepclean1122

Deepclean1122 Regular Member

Nice review ! Any idea what string and tension ur friend is using ?

5. Konquerian

String is bg80 power. As for tension, it feels like 26 lbs, but don’t know exactly.

Deepclean1122 likes this.
  6. Nabilal

Nabilal New Member

Is there anyone who can give a basic comparison between Victor Jetspeed 12 and the Astrox 88D.
    I’m in very dilemma to choose one of them.
    I really smash a lot so i prefer a racket that can smash harder and very quick in defense.
    I knw JS 12 is already there for a while and ax88 just came out. So please help me to choose which one to get for speed and smash.

7. Deepclean1122

The reason I asked cuz I’m getting my 88s 4U tomorrow with aerosonic 26LBS hopefully no disappointment since I love away from my N9II.

8. Deepclean1122

I can’t tell u much but one thing for sure 88s is heavier and is much heavier than arc 11 and JS. If u are js fan most likely u won’t like it.

Nabilal likes this.
  9. Nabilal

Nabilal New Member

Thank you for your reply. Actually I haven’t used Js or ax either. But i used Bravesword 12 for a while and I’m absolutely in love with it for its amazing reaction speed. So my friends were saying that Jetspeed 12 will be better than Bravesword 12 as it’s relatively a new racket.
    So that’s why I’m confused shoud I get JS 12 or AX 88D.

10. Konquerian

I love my n9ii a lot also, hence the ridiculous number of mileage I put on both of my n9ii, not to mention the battle scars. I feel the 88s 4u is a good upgrade from the n9ii, since it does have the two improvements that I wanted to see in a n9iii. I couldn't help myself but placed an order for an 88s 4u with li ning no.5 @ 26lbs. It should arrive in a week or so.

If I had to move away from my n9ii completely and use a different from now on, I feel that the 88s 4u should be a good canindate. At least, after my 2 hours, my feelings toward it are mostly positive. I hope you won't be disappointed in the 88s. If you do, at least try to enjoy it, I know n9ii is hard to beat .

samhuda and Deepclean1122 like this.
  11. Konquerian

Js12 and ax88d are two completely different ball games. Ax88d is closer to zf2, and you will definitely not find the bravesword speed in it. My friend's friend bought both the 88s and d. And although I only played with his 88s in a match, I did hold the 88d and did a quick test drive on it. It's definitely not a bravesword.

Furthermore, js12 is stiff and bs12 is mid stiff. If you are not used to using stiff racquet, you will be in for a surprise with your power output and timing. But then again, everybody is different, so it's better to try the racquet first before you buy it, and that goes with all racquets .

#591 Konquerian, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Nabilal likes this.
  12. llrr

llrr Regular Member

A newer racquet is most definitely not necessarily better, especially these days when racquet technology isn't going forward leaps and bounds.

Cheung, swsh and dtjovan like this.
  13. dhobo

dhobo Regular Member

Konquerian, do you like 88S 4U more than your old JS10 3U :)

14. Konquerian

I definitely agree to that. We benefit more by perfecting our forms and advancing our skills, whether than changing to newer racquets with insipid new tech. I'm just glad I can have the privilege of testing out new racquets and sharing thoughts with fellow BC members, but certainly not a necessity .

Cheung likes this.
  15. Konquerian

Js10 is certainly one of my favorites. But if I had to pick one between the two that you mentioned, I would definitely pick the 88s in a heartbeat, only because it fits my current play style like a glove. As my play style and court rotation further develop into a more fluid play with my different partners, due to playing more competitive games with a lot more highly skilled doubles players who joined our gym late last year, my need for an all-round racquet is ever more so desirable, hence changing to the n9ii. After trying out the 88s, it gave me similar feelings as when I first tried the n9ii, but I was impressed with it even more than the n9ii. So I guess, in simple term to answer your question, yes, I like 88s much more than my old 3u js10 for my current playstyle . My apologies for such a long answer for your easy question .

#595 Konquerian, Mar 23, 2018
  16. jobdelacruz

jobdelacruz Regular Member

Draughtsman/CAD Designer
    I quite agree with you, N9ii user here as well and I find it slow compare to AS88X 4U. I went straight ahead in 4U as I think will be more heavy. So far I like this racket especially in a fast paced doubles game. Strung @ 26lbs with Lining No.1 Any recommendation for better string?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Konquerian

I just ordered my ax88s 4u this afternoon. I chose li ning no.5 string @ 26lbs. I personally didn't like the li ning no.1 string, but I like the no.5 a lot. Li ning no.5 plays like bg80 but with a tad better feeling. I strung my main n9ii with li ning no.5 for mains and zymax 62 fire for crosses, and so far that hybrid combo has been amazing. I love the thunderous sound when I smash.

The ax88s that I tried was strung with bg80 power at something that felt like 26lbs (didn't ask him what the tension was, I was overjoy with the racquet in my hand ), and it also felt amazing. I think that maybe the 88s works well with hard feel string, but just my 2 cents .

#597 Konquerian, Mar 23, 2018
  18. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

I'm surprised that you guys coming from n9ii chose the 88S in 4u. I'm considering the 3u but I would like more feedback on it to be sure haha.

swsh likes this.
  19. jobdelacruz

jobdelacruz Regular Member

Draughtsman/CAD Designer
    Welcome back to the darker side! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. kakashihatake

kakashihatake Regular Member

Tried a 88s 3u coming from n9ii, it is just not the cup of my tea. Maybe 4u suits me better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pierreyj likes this.